THR Tom’s surprise<

The last few days, when I’ve been icing the outside of my hip, I have developed pain in my hamstring after a few minutes of ice. Is there anything I can do to relieve this? Should I ice the hamstring? Can I do some light hamstring stretches?
 
Can I do some light hamstring stretches?
I did light hamstring stretches post both THRs. Do these from a seated position and start very gently as your hamstrings are probably very tight. To this day I still do these stretches daily for lower back issues.
 
Part of my OS recommendations was to place a rolled towel under the ankle every 15 min an hour to keep stretched if in a recliner or laying down. If sitting in a chair place the foot on a footrest or low table and allow it to stretch.
 
The victories and aches sometimes come and go early on:blackcloud:
Stretches, easy stretches helped me asking with massaging it when I could.
Hope today is a Good Day Tom. :SUNsmile:

Naps were essential for me to stay caught up on sleep.
 
Had a busy day yesterday. Finally got some time out of the house. Went shopping with my partner, hit 3 different stores, plus a restaurant for lunch. Used my walker throughout, and felt pretty good. Started getting sore near the end (after about 4 hours). Did have some success in finding a number of things I needed. I’m most happy with the new shoes I found. Brown leather slip ons, that can be casual or dressy, and will allow me to obey the 90° rule. Perfect for whenever I return to work. Definitely needed ice and a nap when I got home.

I have been getting around on a single crutch today. How nice it is to be able to carry something in the free hand!
 
Good for you! Sounds like you had a fun outing. It was good you used the walker! Sounds like you covered slot of ground!
 
Having one of those days. Sick of not being able to do what I want, sick of everything being a chore. My son is out for the evening, so I was on my own for supper. Knocked a bowl off the counter, mess all over the kitchen floor ...

Longing for the days when I can go for a drive, have a shower, make a meal without it being a huge production.

Extra sore today too, not sure why.
 
I'm sorry you're struggling @Lucky man
Sadly....You'll have those days. It is frustrating to adjust to the lack of mobility and a dependence on others,
but thankfully it's only temporary. At just over three weeks post op you're still very early into your recovery.
Try to think of the progress you've made so far. Did you notice an improvement in your ability to do more this past weekend, than the previous weekend? I'll bet you made progress and you'll make more before next weekend.

Have any idea when you can drive? I'll bet soon. Possibly someone can get you out for a car ride as a passenger. A change of scenery helps sometimes. What's keeping you from showering? That would be frustrating. Consider some pre-packaged frozen meals from the grocery store, takeout / delivery or one of those services that deliver pre-packaged meals. I'm sure you'll improve greatly over the next couple weeks slowly regaining your independence. Hang in there....you'll get there!

Wishing you a peaceful relaxing evening!
 
@Layla

Thank you for your kind words of support. You’re always there when one of us is struggling. Your kindness and compassion are ever present, and very much appreciated.

I can shower. I have a chair, it’s just a much bigger ordeal than it used to be, takes 2-3 times longer to get ready.

I did get out on the weekend. It was nice to get out of the house. Got a great deal on some new shoes which was great.

And yes, I have made a lot of progress since the start. My brain tells me all those things, but my emotions don’t always listen. I think I get frustrated some days because I was 5.5 weeks into recovery from my first surgery, and then I was right back at the start again. Thursday will be 4 weeks from my hip replacement, but 9.5 weeks since my first surgery.

I feel like I’m only about a week from driving. That will be huge, as I can get back to work, and have some semblance of independence again. Even though I’ve been working from home since the first surgery, and I’ve been in touch throughout, it’s not the same as being there.

Thanks for listening.
 
Recovery is an emotional roller coaster @Lucky man. You have ad two surgeries very close together and that takes a lot out of our bodies. The lack of independence is huge. Unfortunately, time just takes time. Try to focus on the progress you have made. Pushing it can set us back. You will get there!
 
Only one month out from having a prosthetic hip implanted.
Things will get better and better.
Cabin fever and post op blues get to be in full swing about now.:sorry:
I had some doozies in terms of dropping accidents.
Couldn't sleep more than a few hours, so to try to give poor husband a break I bet quietly slipped out of bed and scooted walker down hall to get my own drink from fridge. The whole rack inside door came off and tumbled condiments all over kitchen floor:blackcloud:
Hang in there Tom. Well worth the payoff!
 
Hi @Lucky man
Thank you for the kind words.
I'll bet you're feeling better today. I went through some ups and downs right about this time in recovery also.
You're tired of being a patient but unable to completely jump back into life :gaah:
I can imagine it would be difficult not to wish you didn't have to start over. :tantrum:

Hoping you get the release to drive soon :driver: I'm thinking it will help immensely.
Hang in there....almost there and you have all of us lovely people to keep you company in the interim :heehee:
Hope today is a great day!
 
@Lucky man - hang in there! I am learning that good days and bad days are all part of the process. I totally get your frustration about basic tasks taking 2-3 times as long, and the helpless feeling of not being able to do simple things for yourself. The good news is that it’s all temporary — you just have to find the patience to get through it.

Your journey is a little different in that, unlike many of us who opted into THR because of OA pain, you were sort of forced onto this road by your accident. Then to have two surgeries in succession makes it even more challenging. Given all that, you’ve got a tougher road to hoe. You really are doing well, from the sounds of it. Allow yourself space to feel frustrated (it’s normal) but try to get back to a positive mindset and focus on the future. This recovery will soon be a distant memory!

And hope you get to drive soon! :) :-) (:
 
Thank you all for your support, it really does help.

I am feeling better today. It’s amazing how one’s mood can flip flop from one day to the next.

My in home physiotherapist came today. I’ve not really been doing any exercise program other than walking, but her evaluation was very positive. I’ve made a lot of progress since last week, which feels great! I discussed driving. She thinks it’s still too soon, but maybe next week. I agree with her, I’m not quite ready, but it’s nice to know it’s not too far off.
 
It’s been almost a month since my last update. Life got busy.

Can my thread be renamed to “7 week update”.

I’ve been driving for about 2 weeks, back to work part time last week. I had a follow up with my surgeon last week, and he was amazed at my progress. The X-ray showed that I’m growing new bone right over the wires they used to secure the break in my femur. I didn’t realize the body did that! The cloudy area where I have the arrows shows the new bone. He said my femur will likely end up about 1.5 times its original size.
The surgeon removed all my restrictions and wants to see me in 3 months.

My pain and functioning continue to improve, and my mood with it. I do still get frustrated sometimes when I’m unable to do something, but less and less. I am still using a cane, but find myself walking away without it frequently. If I do too much I certainly still need it.

I have a question, that I forgot to ask my surgeon. Can I use an inversion table? I have had one for years that I’ve used on and off for back pain. It’s one that attaches to the ankles.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Tom’s surprise<
    405C97B0-2AFA-48F1-84AF-25126EB0374F.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 164
Great update @Lucky man
Your X-ray shows up huge, huge on my iPad but from the tiny pic I do see the new growth. Around those wires that is wild!
As far as the inversion table that's a good question. My BIL who has two knee replacements uses his but just doesn't do the full tilt. He is now looking at hip replacements, so hasn't felt much benefit from the inversion process lately. Might be a good idea to wait the three months and ask your surgeon. I know bungee jumping is out for us hippies so your OS may have an opinion.
 
My OS said yes at 6 months when I asked him about inversion table and I still have some lingering low back pain, but just can't make myself do it.
I chicken out...even at one year and good bone growth at my prosthesis.
 
What a great update! @Lucky man
Good report from the OS, driving, working, pain and mood improving. Wonderful to hear.
Inversion table sounds scary after new hips :yikes: I'm surprised to read it's allowed.
I hope if your OS doesn't approve the inversion you find back pain relief in an alternate way.
Best wishes for a great rest of the week. Thanks for the update!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom