Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* TKR2019 Revision 2021 Now possible infection

It could be a Bakers Cyst, however that is unlikely as these occur more from repeated squats
I have one behind my TKR knee that flares up every now and then, and I don't do any squats! I've not been able to figure out what angers it, it just happens. When it swells and is painful, I just slow down my daily activities, and it drains itself after a few days.
 
Sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Two Month Anniversary yesterday, Romans8:28. I hope you had a good day.
Here is an article from th BoneSmart Library on Bakers Cysts - Baker's Cysts
A great Thursday to you!
@Romans8:28
 
It could be a Bakers Cyst, however that is unlikely as these occur more from repeated squats
I have one behind my TKR knee that flares up every now and then, and I don't do any squats! I've not been able to figure out what angers it, it just happens. When it swells and is painful, I just slow down my daily activities, and it drains itself after a few days.
helpful to know - this can be rather painful!!
 
You want to be careful and not push on it. You don't want it to burst! I believe the staff member, @Pumpkin, had one that burst, and it was quite painful for her.
 
My baker cyst burst the first time in 2018, it was a major burst, ended up in the hospital with excruciating pain.
In retrospect it burst when I stood up from a chair.
There was a huge hematoma below my knee in my calf that took 2+ months to resolve. I had to wear an extra large calf sleeve, I now wear a small. The only early symptom I had was tightness and the feeling of water dripping down my calf. The bakers cyst has burst a couple of time more with very mild symptoms thank goodness.
The hallmark of a burst bakers cyst in the feeling of water dripping down your leg.
My first experience was probably at the extreme end of symptoms.

Gentle calf stretching seems to help me the most to keep the baker cyst away.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I have now had an ultrasound that has identified that I have a complex Baker's Cyst that has ruptured!! There are no hematoma issues. I will continue to be very careful, elevate as much as possible. I must say it is not nice and changes from day to day. Any suggestions welcome. Happy New Year to you all.
 
Oh man, I'm sorry that has happened to you, but it could be worse. At least your replacement is OK and you know the cyst will heal!
 
Hello Romans8:28.
You've experienced a lot with your right knee, now this, so early into the healing process. I'm sure it's discouraging. I am sorry for the pain you're struggling with. I hope you find comfort soon. It looks like we inundated you with our Library article on Baker's Cyst, sorry about that, sometimes while on the forum we don't have time to read back through what others have shared. Hopefully you've had a chance to read the article, have a better understanding of the situation and with the protocol you're following you find relief.
Wishing you all the best!
@Romans8:28
 
Thanks all. I have read the Baker's Cyst article and read plenty of others as well!! I went to see a Nurse Practitioner today to get Celebrex script which will see me through to seeing my OS on 21st January. She has given some good pointers. One is to heat pack and cold pack for 2 minutes each over 20 mins. I have only done it once so far and it was very helpful!! Patience is the name of the game and lots of elevation.
I have requested the actual Ultrasound images to be forwarded so that my OS will have those when I see him. He did not even read the radiologist report of my bone scan until after he looked at the scan first hand, so i am sure he will want to see the actual ultrasound.
It is a Complex Baker's Cyst - thickened walls... not so thick that it didn't rupture!! The ultrasound technician said she thoughts there was associated bleeds but not clots. Praying this settles and I get back on the stationery bike!! It is a challenge trying to work from my recliner, but not impossible. I will update later in the month.
 
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Now, to exercise that patience muscle. That is the hardest one for many of us. Looking forward to reading your updates.
 
Praying this settles and I get back on the stationery bike!!
I'll lift one for you too! :prayer:
Sounds you're you're well educated on Baker's Cysts and doing the best you can. I wish you comfort and a good visit with your OS in two weeks. Keep us posted on your progress. :thumb:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Romans8:28
I hope you're having a nice weekend. Best wishes for your appointment next week.
If you feel like sharing, let us know how it goes.
@Romans8:28
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Romans8:28.
How's it going? We'd love to hear from you when you have a minute.
We're here for you always. :)
@Romans8:28
 
Hi Team, Sorry for the radio silence!! Just about 8 months post op. The knee seems very stable, but my surgeon reminds me - 12-18months minimum recovery. I still get a bit of fluid down my leg, but hopeful that this might back off a bit with stopping the Celecoxib in the last few days. That Bakers cyst deal did slow me down hugely!! still a little bit of fluid on the knee, but nothing like prior to the op. I am using the stationery bike as primary exercise and some gentle walks, but not pushing things at all. If I have days with a lot of standing the fluid down the leg does increase. Average days my steps are 4-5,000, and that can push out to 10K at times. Nothing strenuous. Pain is not really a factor, the old niggle here and there. The Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet is a bigger nuisance!! I see the surgeon with an annual review in October so will see what he thinks at that point. I would have replied earlier but this platform does not seem to alert me when a post has come in.
 
Hi Romans 8:28,
No apologies necessary, it's just nice to hear from you and especially to read how well you're doing.
I like that your surgeon reminds you recovery can take 12-18 months, minimum, especially since you're recovering from a revision. It can take that long and even longer for some recovering from a TKR. Slow and easy will get you there. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy the rest of the week! :) :-) (:
@Romans8:28
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom