BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] TKR Revisions 24 months after Original TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cherey, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't worry about the CPM. They don't make any difference to your eventual ROM anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cherey

Cherey junior member

United States United States
    My surgery was done on Friday July 26, 2019. The doctor unlike last time did not do a MUA followed by the arthroscopic lysis. Instead he did just lysis. The PCL was shot so he did not remove it instead he worked till he got 115 degree flexion and at that point he stopped applied pressure and got 120 degrees. I pretty much am happy so far. I understand how not pushing it avoids a lot of swelling and the possibility of scar tissue and fibrosis accompanying it. Interestingly I am on aspirin twice a day for 42 days. I am pretty much off crutches and just hanging out taking my drugs (hydrocodone) and doing the CPM machine 4 hours a day. I know the CPM machine is controversial but since what is being done is out of the ordinary and the doctor is cited as specializing in arthrofibrosis I feel that if he wants it who am I to go against it since what he is prescribing is not all that difficult to do for now and avoiding a revision is the goal. Besides I think the game here is for the surgical incisions to heal withe least amount of scar tissue forming.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  3. Cherey

Cherey junior member

A person earlier in this post wished for me to track my progress. I met with the surgeon for my first follow up. We discussed the procedure. Unlike the primary surgeon he did not do a MUA. Instead he electro cauterized the scar by using it to peel away the scar tissue. He released me to 115 degrees and then with a little help pushed it to 120 degrees. He ordered four (4) hours a day of CPM along with five (5) days a week outpatient PT from the time of surgery till the first follow up. I was able to flex to 110 for him on the day of follow up prior to surgery I was 95 degrees. He has now backed me down to one (1) hour CPM and PT three (3) times a week. PT has experience with arthrofibrosis so they are not pushing it. I am being very cautious about getting my hopes up until six (6) months out but it does seem possible that I will have a functional knee. The surgeon feels that even if I go backwards he will not need to do a revision but maybe catch it early and do a MUA at six (6) months instead of waiting a year as the primary surgeon did. It is obvious to me that the surgeon is very good in handling complex joints. I found him using the arthrofibrosis list here on the web site

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

How do you feel recovering from this procedure as compared to when you had the MUA?

And, I know you were concerned about your back and using the CPM, I would have the same concern. How is that going?

5. tabbykit

tabbykit member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Cherey, just read your thread and sending good wishes for your recovery. You have been very thorough in choosing your OS, quite rightly of course. From my own experience and from reading about others on here, it seems there are many surgeons who shouldn't be doing TKRs, let alone the more complicated revision/problem cases.

6. Cherey

Cherey junior member

I am recovering quicker than the previous two attempts to treat the arthrofibrosis. My back is holding up with no major issues. Certainly I have a more experienced surgeon and physical therapists

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cherey

Cherey junior member

Yesterday I went for PT. On a whim I asked to be measured actively and I flexed 118 plus a little what ever that is. The CPM died this morning and doctor has let me off the hook from it. Went down the stairs at the house and was pain free on one descent. That is the good. The bad is that we have been having weather changes like a revolving door. They have been EXTREMELY painful. The doctor and the PT team say to give it a couple more weeks before panicking which is hard to do since the neuropathy is one of the primary reasons for the surgery. At least the flexion is good

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Weather bothers my replaced knee a lot! Never did before surgery. It’s still happening 2.5 years after surgery.

9. Cherey

Cherey junior member

My surgeon feels it comes from the scar tissue he removed. He is listed among the arthrofibrosis doctors so i guess I will go with his opinion for now

10. Cherey

Cherey junior member

Has anyone tried acupuncture for neuropathy?