BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] TKR Revisions 24 months after Original TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cherey, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Cherey

Cherey junior member

United States United States
    What can I expect as far as ROM during the first two weeks post surgery? I am at 90 degree flexion and 5 degree extension at one week. Is this average? I am a very active adult and am hoping to get to 125 degree. Is that realistic?

2. zzevi

zzevi graduate

@Cherey others from the site will write you about what to expect. From what I've read from posts on this site, it doesn't matter how active we've been we all have a certain rate of healing and recovery time that can't be molded into a time frame that we wish it would be.

Seems the harder we push ourselves, the more of a chance of backsliding and actually achieving less instead of more. I think your numbers are great, keep that swelling down as it does prevent movement. If you pamper yourself now your numbers will probably continue to increase, we've found thru each other that less, seem to equal more. Meaning doing the least amount, helps keep the swelling down which in turn gives your body the time it needs to move forward.

A lot of us have tried to put the actual ROM numbers in the background, because this can drive you crazy. PT and surgeons like to push that you need to be at a certain number by a certain time period this has lead many of us (myself included ) to undue stress and anxiety. It took me many weeks in of listening and trying very hard to please PT before I finally threw in the towel and decided this will all come in time.

I can't change that. I have to accept that and when you do, your progress continues on, otherwise you run the risk of just stalling out. I had weeks where my ROM didn't move at all. You should be at this PT and time. Don't drive yourself nuts over the numbers and push yourself to accomplish better, it will come.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Cherey,
    Welcome to the otherside!
    Your ROM is fantastic at one week, right now you need to let your knee heal, the swelling, pain, and inflammation go down, and your ROM will be there.

The challenge of getting to 125 is not letting anyone, including you, set back your recovery by pushing too hard to increase ROM before your knee is ready.

Please add your surgery date to your signature, hover over your username top right, click on signature, add your information there, Thanks!
    How to create a signature

First is the reading - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Activity progression for TKRs
    Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
    Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

4. birdwatchr

birdwatchr graduate

I have found that a number doesn't mean much, but how much I can bend my knee compared to my other knee means everything! And my surgical knee is almost there! That has been my goal since day 1, to bend both knees equally, so the numbers don't really mean that much to me. My surgical knee may not get quite equal to the non-surgical knee, but it is getting close enough!

5. stadx

stadx junior member

Do you know what your ROM was before surgery? I found the progress in my ROM was slow and steady. At 7 and a half weeks I made it to 125 and have been at 0 extension since week 2 or 3. I think the goal set by most PTs is 120 but this can be difficult to achieve if you didn't have that number before your TKR. Good luck and I hope you make 125 or maybe even 130.:fingersx:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree with everyone else---if you just accept that you are doing well by resting and elevating and icing your knee, you will continue to improve. If you start to over exercise the knee, it will react with more swelling. I think 125 is a realistic number, but it will take some time to get there.

7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now that's what I call a "how long is a piece of string" question! We are not machines and everyone is different. But the others are right - your ROM at one week is amazing! To keep it that way, go easy on the exercises and read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.

8. Dawni

Dawni Sr Bonesmartie

Cherey I came out of hospital at 90 and 0 this was my second TKR I desided this time round I would not do any exercises to start with the swelling came down much faster I was in less pain, every thing went much better than before and now at 4 months I have 135 and 0 yes I did foot pumps and heel slides but nothing else, now you would not do exercise if you broke your leg in half would you our knees need time to heal, not stressing them out.

LTKR 11 May 2016

9. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I don't have a clue what my ROM was at my last OS visit. I do know I can ride a bike, use the stairs, swim laps and live my life without pain or problems. At just 2 weeks you're doing great, so don't worry about ROM right now, it'll come.

10. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Could be anything. Please don't worry.
    It's fine. All knees are different. Don't worry or rejoice about it.
    Yes. Don't rush, don't hurry, follow the rules outlined. Keep doing gentle stretching movements every day; no pain, more gain!

11. Cherey

Cherey junior member

If your doctor or you decide to use a CPM be careful of your supplier. I had a manipulation on 1/30/2017. In my doctor's visit prior to my procedure the doctor mentioned using a CPM. I had done research and found a company online. This was four weeks prior to the procedure. I contacted the company MEDCOM Group and they said they would get with the doctor's office and line it up.

One week prior to the procedure date I contacted MEDCOM Group and they said they had no record but no problem they will contact his office and make all the arrangements. I received an email back that everything was lined up and that the machine will be there on 1/31/2017. I was concerned about the date being after the procedure but felt okay I will have some swelling so a date later will not hurt.

The day of procedure came and the doctor got me from 95 to 130. I was put on the machine and was getting the max at 120. I was in a hurry and did not stay on the machine but instead started on my 3 hour trip home. The next day I went for PT and got a 102 on my own and got 118 by the end. Went home and got ready for the machine. The day went by and around noon I became concerned. I contacted MEDCOM Group and told them of my concern. They said it was on the truck and scheduled to be delivered that day. 7pm came and past and still no machine. I contacted MEDCOM again and they said that UPS said that there was a weather delay and the machine will arrive today. Noon has come and gone and I have yet to see the machine.

I know that a CPM machine is not the entire answer rather it maintains whatever gain you made that day. But unless you have it you don't know if it will be helpful or not. At the hospital I had confidence that it was going to work for me. Now I don't know if to much time has passed.

12. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

13. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Cherey I merged your second thread into your existing recovery thread. Please keep all your updates and questions here so that we have a history and can advise you if necessary. Thanks!

14. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    I hated my cpm. Some people find it soothing. It gave me more pain and swelling. It was standard procedure at my hospital postop. When I spoke to the pt he said to just stop because it really made no difference.

15. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Fortunately these types of problems don't occur that often with suppliers. So sorry you hooked up with a bad one. Most of the time your doctor's office will make these arrangements with a supplier they use so you don't have to worry about it. They often will do this even if you are paying out of pocket.

16. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I never used a CPM. Prior to my revision I was at 95 but after a few months I was at 130. It turned out to be much better than my OS predicted. I never worried about exercising to an extreme. I went to PT twice a week for a few weeks and only had some gentle stretching and massage.

17. Cherey

Cherey junior member

Has anyone undergone arthrolysis via arthroscopy? I know it is rare and very little is available on the web. I underwent MUA last year but it did not take despite doing PT.

18. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

We need a little more information. What did you have done and when was it done?

19. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again, @Cherey .

I believe that @skigirl had an arthrolysis of adhesions.
    I know that afterwards she was told to resume her activities and exercise very slowly and carefully, so as not to irritate her knee tissues.

Sometimes an MUA doesn't work, especially if you do too much exercise afterwards. I see from your earlier posts that you didn't come back and tell us about your MUA. Never mind, we know now.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
    For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

20. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had what is called an "Open Lysis of Adhesions and a Spacer Exchange" . Basically my knee was opened along the old scar line. The doctor removed extensive scar tissue and put in a slightly larger spacer. I had pain for three or four days and then just the boredom of yet another recovery!!

My doctor stressed that if I exercises a hot, inflamed knee I would cause more scar tissue to form---especially since I had already had a large amount of scar tissue. So, for the first two weeks, I just stayed home on the couch with my knee elevated and iced. I did a few heel slides and some leg lifts, but that was about it. He told me if I do any activity that increases the swelling, I was to put ice on it immediately until the swelling went down.

At three weeks, I began formal PT, but my PT agreed with my doctor. His advice, we will go very slowly until 8 or 10 weeks. If the scar tissue reforms, at least we will know that we did everything we could to prevent it.

If I had limited insurance coverage for PT, I might have waited another week or two to even start it.

We did only table exercises---leg lifts, clam shells, heel slides for another two weeks--no weight bearing exercise at all. I did ride the bike for 15 min prior to PT. If we did anything that made the knee warm, we stopped and iced it.

I was so impatient!!! I hated the forced inactivity, but I was determined to give the knee the best chance I could give it. We started light exercise at 8 weeks. step ups---very small lift. bike for 20 min. no squats or serious weight on any machine.

I am now three years out from that surgery. I have some scar tissue there, but it does not impair my movement like it did prior to surgery. I have pretty good rom---138. Most of all, my knee is much more stable with the bigger spacer. My doctor told me that since the knee was moving a little too much with the first spacer, that alone might have caused some of the scar tissue. Am I glad I did it? Yes.

The biggest hassle was the slow recovery. The pain was really nothing compared to a TKR.

• Informative Informative x 1