BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

TKR at 41 for unique problems?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by sondrals, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    There’s a big difference between an ACL repair and a knee replacement. You’ll have to explain that to your mom.

At least you are getting some very good information before your surgery. I went into this thinking I knew what I was approaching and then found out after surgery that I actually knew very little about what to expect from this recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sondrals

sondrals junior member

Update. Met with the surgeon, my kneecap is so far out that nothing but a knee replacement will fix it or give me stability back. Rated my pain at a 6, was like night and day, he recommended surgery. So I need to go through knee replacement boot camp and I’m waiting for the scheduler to call to let me know what pre-op testing I need to do. I wish I had a picture of my x-rays as they’re freaky looking. So now waiting on that and insurance approval. I’m a little bit nervous but a little bit excited if that makes any sense. Mostly I just feel a sense of relief.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Be glad you're not going to have a Fulkerson's osteotomy. Osteotomies are a notoriously painful procedure and recovery, and most of them have to be converted to a TKR after a relatively short period.

If you think your reporting of a low feeling of pain is the sticking point, why don't you now let your surgeon know that your pain has increased?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. sondrals

sondrals junior member

Yeah I’ve read some horror stories about the Fulkerson. Kinda glad I’m not having that. I’m under no illusion that this will be easy but it seems the “better” choice. He’s ok with my pain being at a 6, he was reluctant with it being a 1-2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus member

Australia Australia
    No, not fair at all.

Good news you are now going to have it done. I totally understand about the knee giving out, though luckily I never hit the floor. I waited over ten years to get mine done, not through choice.. But now they have been I am pain free and living well again. Not quite 100% but closer then I have been in years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. luvcats

luvcats senior

If this were true, then younger normal weight people would never need knee replacements. Which we both know is not true.

You might talk to a doctor about your self reporting pain scale and see if it's skewed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jockette

I have never liked the 1-10 pain scale. One person’s opinion of a number might be different than someone else’s opinion of that same number. Words should be definitive explanation enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sondrals

sondrals junior member

I found that out AFTER I told them 1-2, my mom's like how can you say you have a 1-2 pain but you can barely walk?! I'm like well, I think of pain as excruciating and unrelenting and just the most horrible thing that you can imagine. Her and my brother looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

I think because I've lived with my knees for so long it's my "normal" despite there actually being pain and swelling and stiffness. I don't honestly know what a normal person's knees feel like because I've never had that, I guess my mind just assumed everyone walks around with the same amount of pain and instability I do. Which is why I get so down on myself for needing walking aids, being afraid of ice, etc. Turns out that's not true and as silly as it sounds, I'd just never considered that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sondrals

sondrals junior member

Well poo, I never thought of that either!

My self reporting pain scale is skewed and the 4 Aleve I was taking a day were doing more for my pain than I thought. I haven't taken any OTC pain meds in 10 days, last night was pretty frustrating. No matter what way I laid my knee hurt, I couldn't sleep because I could not find a position in which it was happy enough to at least stop throbbing. So I spent most the night tossing and turning before finally giving up and getting up for the day. Coffee is my friend today

10. sondrals

sondrals junior member

Unfortunately 9 times out of 10, when mine goes, I go down. I get this sick feeling in my stomach when I feel it too because I know I'm going down. My knees have never been 100%, this has actually been happening since I child, I remember the first time it happened even, so I was like maybe 7-8. So I'm shooting for just functional at this point lol.

11. Jockette

I had a pain management doctor once describe a pain at a 10 as if a car had fallen on me. I can’t even imagine that. No pain I’ve ever had could possibly come close. So I’ve also underrated my pain. Now I just throw out a number to make them happy. I have no idea how accurate it is.

12. sondrals

sondrals junior member

@Jockette I can't even imagine that either. That's such a weird thing to use as an example. It's like almost an unreachable amount of pain I'd think. But I similarly have always thought of a 10 as "the worst thing you can ever imagine" so I've never even been close to there because I can always imagine there's something worse. I've also been taught it's weak to show pain, so I have a tendency to suck it up and push on, no matter what. I'm learning that's maybe not a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jockette

Well, you won’t have to do that here with us. We understand pain and we care.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

Wow.. 4 Aleve a day says alot about your pain.. Its not minimal! I take an Aleve and 2 500 mg Tylenol in the AM and the same in the PM.. That pretty much makes the pain disappear. Without them I would have 2-3 screaming episodes a day.

But I do not want to depend on those forever ( I seldom take OTC meds) and the X ray does not lie.

The doc does ask about pain as there will be a post surgery survey from time to time asking the same question as the goal is returning a quality of life.

This is not time to suck up and push through.. Training ( which seems to be what you are doing) is appropriate much later post op.. not now. No pain, no gain= swelling lack of improvement in ROM+incessant pain.

I plan on a month of indolence with light walking.. then walking our lovely neighborhood trails and hopefully within two months climbing the mountain in back of our house.. It has eluded me since this hip stuff started as it has stone stairs that are too tall. I already had TKR and my OS was not a fan of severe PT.

I can't help you with blocking your mother's advice. I am sure she means well and loves you but sometimes duct tape is needed. Applied gently:angel:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    djklaugh posted a different version of the pain scale - thank you, @djklaugh:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. sondrals

sondrals junior member

I realize now it's not, I was told when I hurt my other knee that it was ok to take 4 Aleve long term to stop it from hurting. I guess i thought it was a lesser evil than say taking ibuprofen long term. ie. less side effects or even none. Guess that's not the case.

And turns out it was doing WAY more than I thought, I just thought my knee didn't feel THAT bad. Without the Aleve it feels pretty awful, I wasn't able to sleep much last night because the stupid thing hurts no matter where I put it. I really wish I could throw it out of bed and get a good night's sleep lol

17. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

As to your mom... Duct tape is not practical.. But as she has never had knee replacement her only reference is an ACL surgery.

That is sewing. there is a little fishing too
    TKR is carpentry with expensive saws and hammers.

Maybe have a sit down with her if it seems possible and watch some You Tube on ACL surgery and TKR surgery?

• Like Like x 1
  18. sondrals

sondrals junior member

@mainegirl1 Oh but she knows so&so and so&so and THEY had one and they said it's not painful at all and no big deal :heehee:

Duct tape may be faster

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm glad to see your surgeon is going forward. Our lives become so controlled by our knees as they go downhill but we "get used" to it. It will be like night and day once you have your tkr.

I see you talked about being taught to tough it out. You definitely don't want to "suck it up" right after surgery. Be honest about your pain levels. I tried to "tough it out" for too long with my first surgery and that made it harder to get the pain handled. I was up front with my second tkr and the pain was well handled.
    In fact in many cases they have improved methods since the time I had my tkrs a few years ago.

20. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

Hello! I just found your post, read it all. Very glad you’re having surgery. I understand your knee, I think. Back when I was 14, I slipped in a puddle by an indoor pool. My toes were pointing upward but my left knee had dislocated, looked like my leg was bent outward.

I replaced one hip in 2014, other hip and the other knee last summer. I still have this knee, always my problem knee, left. I saw my surgeon for my one year post op last month and we discussed this knee. I don’t have much for pain in it, don’t take even OTC stuff but it’s not stable. Anything downhill has me worrying it’s going to “go out”. Due to my life, it won’t be replaced til spring 2021 so I came home with a brace so I could do some outdoor things, or try, and give the knee some stability.

Good luck!