TKR at 41 for unique problems?

@mainegirl1 Oh but she knows so&so and so&so and THEY had one and they said it's not painful at all and no big deal :heehee:

Duct tape may be faster
I suggest you show your mother this article and have her watch a video of a knee replacement.
TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

And this video:

Tell her that you will be in charge of your recovery and you are going to allow your knee the full time it needs to recover.

These articles may help, too:
The Activity Progression Chart

The Chart of TKR Recovery

The BoneSmart Philosophy of Sensible Post-Op Therapy

Lose the Work Ethic
 
I am now scheduled for surgery (pending insurance approval of course), I'm scheduled for joint academy, I go into get all my pre-op testing done this week. Pre-op appointment next week.

But.. I think I'm panicking a little bit. I keep trying to convince myself that I don't need it. So much so that I attempted to mow the tiny side lawn we have on Sunday. And did it, yeah ok my knee hurts and has been weird ever since but still. And now I'm feeling sort of "guilty" for having surgery. Is that normal? I think it's just mild panic and I keep trying to figure out a way to "get out of it" mainly because I'm scared of how much pain I'm going to be in after and that I'll be incapacitated. So many feelings going on I feel like I'm going a little nuts
 
All you're feeling now is normal.
Don't feel guilty about having this knee replacement. Just know that your knee is never going to get any better unless you have the replacement. Why continue to suffer as you are now, when there is a solution? You're too young to carry on with a knee that is going to continue to get worse and worse.

As for the post-op pain, that should be controlled so you can handle it.

You'll only be incapacitated for a short while. By the time you come out of hospital, you should be able to get out of bed and back in again, walk to the bathroom and back and toilet yourself independently, and manage stairs.
 
You will have pain. There will be help for that. And the post op pain is temporary.

You won’t be incapacitated. You will probably need some help getting up and down for a few days (I did) but maybe not.

You will take a short walk the day of surgery. I was up a few hours after surgery. I maneuvered to the bathroom, under the supervision of a physical thereapist.

The day after surgery they took me for a walk in the hall and I did those PT steps that look like a bridge. It wasn’t difficult, but I was just still a little shakey from the surgery.

The first days/weeks are not fun, but you’ll manage. And then as you heal it will get better and better.
 
Yes, most of us had moments of "is my knee really bad enough?" You proved with the grass cutting that it is. :wink:
 
11 days until surgery. Insurance approved it. Went in last Thursday for my pre-op testing. Took them 3 tries to get blood and 3 tries to get a “clean” EKG. Apparently having it in the room next to the centrifuge messes with it. Found out I have a low resting heart rate (46) so that’s kinda interesting. Still having moments of panic but I’m trying to get all the stuff in place so things go smoothly. Kinda depressed now though, but not really sure why.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom