TKR TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my friends, @Nana moon 27, @Jozilla, @suzzee2000, @new knee in June, @dogwheels, @kneeper, hope all is and had a pain-free weekend. After yesterday I had my moments. Went to church with Mama and home health aide then to a diner afterwards for lunch. By the time I got home late afternoon, both knees were hurting (ice and elevate) and all I could see was my way to the bed. I woke up after a nice nap and my younger son and I went outside in the front yard and did a little spring cleaning. I dead headed a few of the hydrangea plants in the front and swept some leaves. Came home and yep kneeper had a whirlpool bath (my saving grace), you too can have one... did the ironing I thought I was going to do yesterday and I did do some grocery shopping on the way home. Before I had RA, I had so much energy so I have to get used to the fact that I have to slow down and with having TKR I really need to slow things down. When I have that burst and feel fairly well and the weather had finally broke here, it's difficult to keep still. And I love to plant and garden. I just need to do a little at a time. Hope everyone had a good Palm Sunday and good Passover, Easter, and a good week. Thanks for all of your well wishes and wonderful hugs as always. :tada:
 
@chestnc I understand and If I were you I couldn't/ wouldn't leave either!! I wish my mother was still living and my father and I think about it being the reason I moved back to Ohio from Florida. Now that they are both gone I could go anywhere.... because I know :)my kids would follow me!
Had to edit.....SO happy you are doing so good today! GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!
 
Hope all is well with you guys @tashia @suzzee2000, @Nana moon 27, @Jozilla, and everyone else . I have been very stiff both knees and with a lot of pain all over RA even with pain meds. I thought that it was getting better, so I did not call the Rheumatologist. But I have to put the call in this week. Seems like I take one step forward then 3 step backwards. Will have to see if I need a new mix of RA meds. Hope everyone ha a blessed Easter and enjoys the day.
 
Hope your RA is better controlled soon. Sounds like quite the struggle getting medication right. Have a blessed Easter - it should be a beautiful day!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I ,too, am having RA issues. Have not had any RA meds in at least a month and it's letting me know it. Walking is awful. I have RA in my feet and they are killing me. I called and
Had my rheumie to call my OS so they can figure out what I can take. PT is useless until they figure it out. Closest relief I have gotten was a heating pad one the sore joints.

Hope things get better for you.

Happy Easter
 
@chestnc
Happy Easter to you & your family :) I hope today is pain-free for you, so you can
Enjoy this beautiful day:SUNsmile: I bought some hanging pansies for my back deck, I can look
Out my French doors & see them from my bedroom. Flowers make me so happy:flwrysmile:Especially
After this terrible winter.
Please keep us posted on your app. Next week....
We care about you:friends: & want you feeling better:loveshwr:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile::SUNsmile::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
@new knee in June, thank you so so so much. It is so good to be thought about. Flowers make me feel better too! And the crocus are starting to pop out again around the house. I did have a good night sleep last night. I am still unfortunately not feeling well but have to do what I have to do. Hope you Easter holiday has been good. Will make it to church. Church starts at 12:30pm so hopefully I will be able to pull it together. Now this is a Rheumatology issue, not pain management. Yesterday I could barely walk to get to my car after going to the hair dresser. Cannot do hair everyday so I have a simple style.
@waitingtogarden, oh my God, so sorry you are going through the same thing. Seems like my neck, back, shoulders and op knee are hurting so. I have been icing my knee. Not sure what is going on with that. I have a heated mattress pad cover that helps to lie on so it hits many areas that hurt. That may be helpful to you. I am on a lot of RA meds, but I think I need a little Prednisone thrown in to get me moving better. The pain meds ER (extended release) and regular meds don't seem to work fast enough. I wake up in the morning sometime in pain and it takes more than an hour to attempt to start working. :sad: Will pick my mom and home attendant up, and go to church. My son is cooking.. He and my daughter-in- law and younger son live with me :loveshwr:, thank God I have some help. Otherwise I would be doing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or scramble eggs and bacon.

@Nana moon 27, no more drama and hope you are feeling better and enjoying the rest of your vacation. Take good care of yourself and no more loosing glasses.

@dogwheels thanks for your kind thoughts and hoping you enjoy Easter Day.

@Jozilla, yes you are so right. It is a chore getting the medications right. I thought I was okay, but need an MD's advice for this one. Then when the pain is lasting too long, I end up getting a headache. A bad one. Wishing everyone a great Easter!!. :wave:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all, earlier in @Nana moon 27's thread I had posted how so many of us are having hurting knees and how my knee hurt. Well Ice and pain meds really do work. I am still up and will be going to bed soon, but I missed my line dancing class :thud: because I could barely walk into the house to change my shoes and realized my knee was to painful and swollen to go anywhere. I iced the knee, as a hot bath was being run. :flabber: Took pain medication and got in bed with lap top and leg elevated. It took a little while more than an hour for pain to begin to subside. When it did I was able to have some of the delicious lasagna that my son cooked. Anyway I decided to get on the stationery bike to see if I could still do it and if it would help with some of the discomfort. I was on it for about 6 mins since it is like starting back and I was a little short of breathe with the asthma I had to stopped. The knee did feel better afterwards :yay:. I am going to go back to the stationery bike at least 3-4 times a week even if I am totally fatigued :wowspring:. Even though I am up and down all day at work the bend of the stationery bike is different so I will make it a point to do it and increase the time that I was on the bike which was 10min. I have done 15 mins after I first stopped PT. I was beginning to thinkk at 6 months I need to be doing a little better than this. Even though I do have RA which does hinder me a lot f the time. I see the difference I feel with just a few minutes of exercise. All right gotta get to sleep now. Working tomorrow but going in a little later. Thanks for listening.. @dogwheels, @new knee in June, @Twiggy, @Jozilla, @waitingtogarden and anyone else. I was also able to tidy up my main bathroom. So proud of myself. When I came home I could barely walk into the house. I am so glad I feel better :yahoo:. Was getting worried there. Everyone have a good nite and no pain drama tomorrow for all of us! :loveshwr::yes!:
 
Good morning @chestnc - so sorry that you were in pain and worried yesterday ............. but glad that your swift actions seemed to help and make you feel better. Perhaps it was your son's lasagne that did the trick? I would gladly have lasagne on prescription :heehee:.
Funny what you say about the stationary bike - in my bid to get my ROM back, once I could turn the pedals, I feel the wheels have been the most useful thing. My knee usually feels much 'looser' afterwards. At present I am only allowed to do a number of pedals rather than minutes, but when I have got this sorted, I agree it will be a good way to keep things moving, as it were.
Anyway I hope you are much improved today and that pain does not put in another appearance.
Look after yourself and take care
X
 
So sorry that you have all this pain. I am glad the bike worked. I am staring at mine thinking I should get on it too. It was the best recovery tool for me and now I haven't used it.

Though my tkr leg is great my other knee is worse. I am looking forward to September when I have it done but not the recovery time. I finally have my blood work almost normal. First time since surgery I am not anemic. My thyroid levels (I don't have one) however are low and working on that now. Fatigue was also do to that and it actually surprised me. My levels have been good for over four years. This surgery takes so much out of us. I don't think anyone understands that.

Your added RA is very tough to deal with. I don't know how you get up and go to work every day! Especially not sleeping that well. How old is your son? He sounds like an awesome young man.

Take care and I so hope you feel better today.
XoxoJoAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@chestnc
Just checking in on you :) I am happy to hear you are feeling better, the bike really
Does help loosen us up.:biking:
Rainy, terrible day here today ( as I am sure it is for you today) but, we did have 3
Beautiful days to enjoy:SUNsmile: Your family sounds lovely & very helpful. I wish my grown
Children would cook for me, but Alas, they can't even boil water:sad: I did give them lessons
When they were growing up ( spaghetti, scrambled eggs, French toast) I think they are just
Lazy. I swear if I didn't cook my whole family would starve:shocked:
I hope work is not to painful this week, I hope your R.A doc. Gets your meds. Correct:console2:
Thinking of you,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Let us know when you have your rheumy appointment. I know sometimes things work and then stop working or you need a different dose. I am so lucky that I'm pretty controlled on DMARDs. My tkrs are due to the years when it wasn't well controlled.

How is the tkr knee? It's good that you are trying to get at least some activity in. It can be tough I know, when you feel lousy overall.
 
Chestnut, my rheumie finally called and said to restart my Orencia. My OS is out of town until next week. She will talk to him then about other things. Today I am in awful shape. It didn't kick in yet and my legs are just dying.
 
So glad you heard from your Rheumy and are able to start your medication. Hope you feel better soon.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi guys, when I cam home I was so exhausted, I did the bath:bath: and bed thing and this time went straight to sleep. Now I am awake I can thank you guys so much for your well wishes, warm thoughts, and kind words. @Jozilla, @new knee in June, @kneeper, @jozilla,@waitingtogarden, @dogwheels, you guys are the best. I did feel better today but was beyond the point of being tired. Knee held out until I got home then it was a bit sore...achy Tomorrow OS doctor. I did no hear from the Rheumatologist but should by tomorrow since I did have the lab work drawn yesterday evening. My appt. with him is in June, but if he needs me to come in sooner I will. He may just change my meds around on the phone.

Waitingtogarden, good luck with the Orencia. I was on that biologic for two years a while ago and then it stopped working for me. I know exactly how you feel and I am so sorry. These meds take sometimes two or three rounds to work. That seems like forever when you are waiting for a medication to kick in. :prayer:Hang in there I hope it will be soon. Are you on a Dmard and pain med a well? Kneeper, I have been on most of the biologics and now on Rituxan. I am on Plaquenil which was recently reduced to once a day as the Rheumatologist thinks I need t wear off of this as I have been on it for eight years. Not certain Plaquenil is doing much now anyway, and MTX tabs, I may need to go up on. Kneeper you are so right, it is so tough hurting all over. Seems like when RA starts to bother me the op knee starts to act up too. Precip and a change in weather do affect the knee and the RA. A few times the left knee has been a little sore, but I try to ignore that as at this point I am not ready for another knee op. I am still reeling from the first one, physically, mentally, and financially. No can do right now. When the pain occurs like it happened like last night I just have to take my pain meds, go to bed and be still. I have been dealing with this RA stuff for the last 10 years and have been on so many different biologics and Dmards since then trying to find the right combo that works for me. I came home tonight and iced the op knee as it was sore. I wonder what the OS doctor will have to say. Actually today was/is my 6 month mark. Tomorrow OS appt. I just think things take time to heal and I am on my feet up and down 5 days a week and my legs get tired. And the clinic has been so busy for the past few weeks. Also we have been working short -staffed as one nurse is out and another nurse will be going out for TKR with the same doctor who did mine as she was impressed with him and the good ob he did on my knee.

Oh no Jozilla, your other knee is worse I am so sorry. :cry:Well at least you do have a date for having it done, but September though it seems far away will be here in no time. My son older one is 33 years old and the younger one is 24.

@new knee in June, you made me smile :hugzz:. Sometimes when our children cook they do it well. When they don't, they don't do it at all. Some do and some don't. I am certain yours have their niche. Mine don't like the clean up part, but when the older one cooks I have the the younger one empty the dishwasher. I usually fill it as he would just toss the dishes in and half my stuff would be chipped and broken.:whistle: The older one took a liking to cooking by watching his dad (rest his soul) who would cook gourmet style. So my oldest is gourmet all the way. Everything he cooks takes better than restaurant food and he enjoys cooking :thumb:. He is a way better cook than I am so for now I sit back and thank the Lord that he and his wife are with me for now. My DIL (daughter in law) cooks well too and sometimes both are in the kitchen cooking away. She my DIL also happens to have RA which I diagnosed right before they were married. She looked like the spitting image of me when I was having a flare and I sent her right away to my Rheumatologist. Sure enough that is what it is. :sad:... What can you do. Life throws us curves and you take the hand you are dealt with. Feel better waitingtogarden and I hope everyone has a smooth pain-free week. Let's try to get through the week one day at a time.:angel: Thank you all for thinking about me. So much appreciated.:yahoo: :thumb:
 
I am on DMARDs and 3,000 mg of tylenol which keeps pain levels mostly in the background. On a particularly bad day I may break down and take a vicodin. I can't take nsaids anymore due to an ulcer, but I do have voltaren cream. Most of my pain right now seems to be from the prior damage rather than RA flaring up.
 
Hi friends @Jozilla, @new knee in June, @kneeper, @waitingtogarden, @dogwheels, @Mazza, @Nana moon 27, hope everyone is doing well. I saw my OS this morning and he said everything is fine. Looks good x-ray looks good on both knees. I wanted one done on the left knee to see where we were at, at this point. Since a lot of the time knees wear the same. Thank goodness for my left knee, I have a good amount of cartilage in my left knee that should last me for a couple more years.Praise the Lord:prayer:. I do have bone spurs on both sides of the knee but hopefully that will not cause a drama. I realllllly do not want to have another TKR. Not that I had a bad experience, it but takes a lot out of us especially afterwards.

As for the Rheumatologist my blood level for alkaline Phosphate is elevated. This could be due to inflammation in my body from RA, the pain meds I am taking or sometimes it could be problems with the liver. To be on the precautionary side I need to have an abdominal sono as it could mean a problem with my liver. I found this out late this afternoon, so I will schedule this the first thing in the morning. I am really not worried about it as there are so many if's and I wouldn't know what to worry for. Wishing everyone a great weekend. :tada:
 
Kneeper, you are so blessed to be able to be controlled with DMArds alone. A lot of times at work I will take a high dose Motrin to take the edge off. Then when I get home I will take the ER (extended release Nucenta) and depending how I feel on most nights I have to take a regular Nucenta as well. I was using the Butrans patch which releases a small amount of pain medicine for a week, but as of the beginning of this year my insurance company requires a prior auth :good-bad: which was taking forever to obtain and when the doctor did give the company information the company said they did not receive all the info, so the pain management doctor switched me to ER Nucenta which seems to hold me. :fingersx:
 
Good morning @chestnc - I am so glad that your other knee is currently holding out and there is still cartilage - as you say, the TKR takes it out of you and further surgery is not something you would want so soon.
Through reading your posts I am only just becoming aware of what a juggling act with meds and activity, living with RA can be - and there seems to be no 'one size fits all' quick fix. I think the way you manage your life, your job, seeing your Mum and your church activities is amazing.
I do hope that no liver problems show up and your current blood problem is due to the RA or meds. If your liver is clear - a great precautionary natural remedy to keep the liver in great shape is Milk Thistle if you can take it. I have witnessed great results (although not personally) from using it.
Well I do hope today will be a good one for you- weekend tomorrow, hurrah!
Take care
X
 
Great posts. My husband took milk thistle for his liver and in his case it worked. They were planning on doing a biopsy and his liver levels turned around. Some of these alternatives really do work. Just be sure there are no interactions with your meds. There is great nutritional advice here in the social section I believe. Hubby also takes alfalfa daily for gout. He swears by it.

I am glad your other knee will hold up for awhile. You have enough to deal with. It is wonderful that you are educating us on RA.

Hope you have a pain free day! I agree with dogwheels in that you are inspiring.

Xoxo JoAnne



RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom