TKR TKR 10/23/2013 - Recovery with RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27, you are too funny. The all yellow one is a yellow squash. I am cooking one now. The light green yellow one is a cucumber that was growing under a leaf lying on top of dirt in a huge pot. The purple one is eggplant. The long skinny green are hot peppers. That is one of three of my tuxedo cats Robin. Sorry for the duplicates.
 
Hi @chestnc I was so happy when I had a bit of a catch up on your thread to hear that the new meds are helping you and that you are feeling a little better and able to potter in your garden and catch up with a few things again.

Your veggies are super - mmmm..... I am thinking a big bowl of ratatouille!! And the hydrangea is such a pretty colour - I love purple and that one is just so lovely. Most hydrangeas here are blue pink or white. They are such pretty flowers.

Honestly @Nana moon 27 - going on about 'a big one' - (cant take her anywhere!) Nana's comment reminded me of an old 1930s Music Hall song which went 'Oh what a beauty, I've never seen one as big as that before!' I'm afraid it was a little bit 'double entendre' but quite innocent and of course ..............about vegetables. I am singing it right now for you - sorry you cannot get the full benefit.:heehee:

Take care @chestnc - really hope that these meds do the trick and you continue to feel lots better.

Much love

XXX
 
You sound so much better! Hope the meds keep doing the trick for you. Veggies are gorgeous! Here is to a pain free week!!
 
@Nana moon 27, Actually the photo makes the vegetables look quite big as the photo is a close up. The cucumbers are about 6" long but they are fat. The yellow squash is true to size as you can see them on the steps with my cat Robin and the yellow /green cucumber. When I first saw the the cucumber hidden in the planter pot, I screamed to my son because I did not know what it was when I moved a leaf. These planter pots I ordered and they are really good for growing vegetables. Also I have a lot of sun in the front in the morning and afternoon. That helps a lot. I usually do a garden in the back but I have a ground hog that chomps on the leaves and flowering plant and a lot of shade so I did no bother. Also I did not have the energy to do the back as well so I focused on the front. We do what we can do.
@dogwheels, and @Jozilla, thank you so much for the well wishes with getting this pain under control. I still sleep with an ice pack on my knee. I think I might try putting my legs up against the wall.Is it @Ellejay who does that?. I love gardening. @dogwheels, how is your daughter doing?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh @dogwheels I'd quite forgotten that old song. @cheatnc if you want a giggle at a cheeky song then google the line that dogwheels has posted. It's is very double entendre but very funny xxx you've done very well with those pots, well done.

My son has come today and admired how the garden is looking. He's popping in again on Friday. I don't see him often so today was so nice x x x

Im so glad your pain is easing up a bit. I hope it remains that way for you.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@dogwheels and @Nana moon 27, you guys are funny. I know the vegetables can be a bit obscene looking. The green zucchini squash I had last year that I posted previously was 17 inches long. I just let it grow to see how long it would grow. Once I planted a squash in the back and it was quietly growing under a leaf. I went out back and was peaking under a leaf and I see this huge thing sticking out and I started screaming for my son. I know they get sick of me screaming all the time. I scream :yikes: for big vegetables, deer, strange looking animals in the back yard. I know they get sick of me sometime. :scaredycat:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @hopefaith, @nana Moon27, @Judlepip, @dogwheels, @madinana, @waitingtogarden, @madinana, @Jozilla hope all of you guys are doing well. I haven't gotten much of anything done in or around the house. I hope to later today. For the last 4 days my younger son and I have been car shopping. I have never found it to be quite as stressful or tedious, tiring, and time consuming. OMG :yikes: :tiredwheel: :mcoffee: :bored:. But thank God it is done. We traded in one car and got another. Between that and It is going to rain on Thursday. I was wondering why I for the past few mornings have been like scared to move for fear I would break trying to get myself the pain meds. The new pain meds do work, but I am still taking them everyday or else for knee and RA pain. The knee pain is not too bad, and Ellejay's way of legs on wall actually does help a lot. Thanks @Ellejay. I have an appt. to see pain management tomorrow morning. Hope everyone has a pain free day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your car shopping is done. I have no patience for shopping for anything - just not my thing. Maybe comes for working retail for three years in a toy department. I was thrilled when we could shop via the Internet and Amazon is one of my best friends! Last December when I had my surgery it was great - all shopping done on Amazon and it was like getting presents every day with UPS. I love it!!

Hope things go well with your pain management doctor. I am so sorry for you though with the pain you have every day. I also have chronic pain from my bad spine. I am fortunate my neurologist treats me and understands the need for pain medication. That along with spinal epidurals allow me to function. Otherwise I would not be able to function at all!

Take care!!
 
Hi @chestnc
I feel for you. Car shopping is the worst. :bored: Is the best icon around for the feeling, isn't it?
I went through that last October. It feels like such a game and so much manipulation. (In my case anyway.)
thinking of you,
hopefaith
 
Hi @Jozilla, forgive me I forgot your name in previous post. I am glad we are good enough friends that you know it was an oversight. Thank you for your concern. I am with you about the pain. I am so sorry that you have spine pain. I can imagine the pain you can be in. Oh gosh.. I am sorry Jozilla, but I am glad you are being managed by pain. I hope you have a pain-free week.
@hopefaith, and @Jozilla car shopping is the pits. I love when I do shop online. I hope you both have a pain-free week.
 
Good morning all. Hope all is well with you guys @Nana moon 27, @hopefaith, @Jozilla, @madinana, @waitingtogarden, @Judlepip, @dogwheels. So yesterday I went to the pain management doctor and she changed the medication around to the way I believe the meds will work. Seems like every time I wake up with some degree of pain though this am was not to bad actually. I also get a headache after I have been awake for about an hour. I still took the Oxycodone as it is still early 4:30EST when I started this. I barely have any Nucenata ER left. I will try to get the script filled at the local pharmacy even though one was previously mailed away. Mail away takes three weeks once they exam the script turn it upside down, count each pill 500 times then decide to drop it in the mail. I also went to PT and my therapist was glad to see me but sorry I was back with pain. She interviewed me then she had me examined my knee and said it actually looks really, really good that the surgeon did an excellent job. And she thought as I had a light inkling towards that as it was RA in the surrounding area that was causing the pain and it pretty much is what it is until the RA gets better controlled. I agree that the RA is not controlled and the Rheumatologist is going to be starting me on another biologic which I have not been on yet (Acterma). But I cannot start just yet. Mid August or early Sept.

So the therapist did some stretching and measured my bend lying on my stomach backwards and on my own I got to 110 with her push I was 117. She said normally the bend backwards with the artificial knee is expected up to 120. I know some folks on the site can do 140. I never knew why my heel needs to touch my buttock. We laughed as she stretched my leg straight up at a right degree angle and my foot facing the ceiling. I used to joke about how I don't remember my leg being able to do that before the surgery. And she used to just smile and say well one never knows when "you may need your leg to go in that position" :loll::ok: :egypdance:. Needless to say she is about 7 months pregnant with her second child. Her first is about a year and a half. She massaged my knee and boy was it so, so sore, but it actually felt better afterwards. As if a kink had been massaged out. She was so amazed at how my knee looked and felt and kept praising the surgeon. I go back on Saturday as I wait to see how many of the visits the insurance will allow. She said with the bend and how I am doing the insurance may only allow 4-6. Actually that is okay as it is tough scheduling these times when I am working. And the therapist I have I like her and she knows me. Saturday I have to see the head therapist and they will start me on some light exercises with the bicycle etc. I have a stationery bike here at home, but when I am working I am so tired, I cannot think of bike. This has been such a busy vacation and tomorrow I go back to work. After work I have been invited to dinner by two of my mom's old co-workers who had actually knew me a I want growing up and want to see me. One is here from Florida. Then I have a one year old birthday party to go to on Saturday of one of the travel nurses who used to work with us. Sunday not certain if I can just stay n bed. The home attendants like me to take my mom to church. That is a job for two people in and of itself when I have this weekend's attendant. She i good but he is an elderly woman and I don't think she will be able to continue to care for my mom as her needs change. Okay I am going to leave you guys now. I have gone on enough. Everyone take care and have a blessed day.:prayer: :angel:
 
So good to hear how you are @chestnc . You always amaze me how you keep,going amidst pain. The mail away meds sound frustrating. Wow 3 weeks!
I have thought of doing the travel nurse thing, when you mentioned seeing nurses that did that. Isn't it usually 12-13 weeks? I have heard the pay is quite good.
I hope and pray you find meds that really help you. And well done you that your knee looks so good.

~~hopefaith
 
110-117 is actually not bad, especially with the RA. Of course, I'll cheer you on if you can get
more:friends:
How much of the day does taking your mom to church take? Can you crash for the rest of the day? You need to look after yourself too.
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, @dogwheels, @hopefaith, @madinana, @Judlepip, @waitingtogarden, @Jozilla, @Ellejay, @kneeper, and anyone I may have missed. @kneeper you are so right. We do need to look after ourselves. I have been in RA pain so much lately because the IV biologic med I was on it was not holding me at all. I cannot start another biologic IV medication until mid August/Sept. and after my lab work is draw and re-evaluated and I get the okay from my Rheumatologist.

@kneeper, on the weekends I have the home attendants come whether my mom be at my house or at her house with step-father. My mom is requiring more and more care. She is forgetting how to walk up steps. On a Sunday morning if Mom is at her house the home attendants will get her ready am care, breakfast and I pick them up. 20 minutes there, 20 minutes to the church. Church an hour unless something special going on, And in one section of the church building there is a chair lift. (My mom also has a chair lift at her house). My house lots of steps. Then I drive then back to the house, fix mom's meds, take care of monetary settlement with home attendant and drive back to my home 20min., I start out at 10:45am church now is at 11:30am I will get back home around 2:30pm, that is when I crash. This weekend will be a little different as my mother needs to be at my house on Friday night. So I will pick her up from her home and bring her to my house. This is usually tough, as steps upon steps. When I get to my house I usually text one of my sons to help me get her in the home. We are in the mist of ordering a wheel chair for her. I will still need loads of help with that as there is no way I could manage that feat alone. If mom is not moving well, I forego church likewise when I am not feeling well.

Last Sunday I could not move I was in so much pain. The pain finally broke last Sunday afternoon. I have gone back to PT as my knee started up. As per one therapist he said I needed to exercise everyday for the rest of my life. My therapist feels if I walk everyday or can find an aqua size class for folks with arthritis that would be good. I was in one years ago, but the water temp was so so cold not only for me but others in the class as well that I missed several classes. It was a lap pool so their temp needs to be a little cooler than some of the others apparently. I keep waking up with these headaches. I am just getting some relief from the meds I took this morning. Hope everyone has a great day. @ Nana Moon27, enjoy Wales, you so deserve it. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@chestnc
I am wondering what you are able to take for pain. I think of you and all your responsibilities with your Mom.
Now that she is forgetting how to go upstairs, that is a whole new challenge for you. It all sounds just so hard. I am thinking of you.
prayers,
hopefaith
 
You have lots of challenges. Easy for the therapist to say exercise every day. :umm:Of course you don't necessarily have to go to a gym. A warm water pool sounds like a good thing though. And there are exercises you can do at home. I think for us RA people, doing at least some activity and moving through range of motion are good.
 
@chestnc I'm so sorry that you're suffering. You have so much to do with your Mum as well, you'e one busy lady. I'm wishing that you find some relief - I agree with @kneeper, a warm pool sounds like a really good idea. Won't your medical people refer you to one as part of your therapy?
 
Hi @hopefaith, thank you so much for the prayers. Pain meds I can take are the Nucenta ER one tab every twelve hours. That seems to work well. I am also on Oxycodone 5 mg. which helps the knee pain. I am ordered one every 4-6 hours. I take 1 - 2 a day. When I was in a lot of pain as I was over the weekend, I have to increase the meds.
@kneeper, thank you for your insight. You know how tough it can be. Yes I find the exercise is helping along with the deep tissue massage from the therapist. It is tough to do the home exercise. I can get on the stationery bike I have at home. I still need to do the leg raises which I try to do in the morning. I also do wall stretches at night. But sometimes I am too tired to do a thing after working all day. @Judlepip, thank you for your prayers, all prayers are welcome. I know I am busy as I tend to do until I cannot do any more. My mom will be with me this weekend and I am already feeling the weather causing me to ache, (it's due to rain Friday night into Sat. morning). I will have one of the home attendants with me on the weekend.That will be a big help. Hope you all have a good weekend and that it is pain free.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you on the exercise. I usually just flop out when I get home. before the surgery I was doing a light exercise program (until the left knee got so bad) and I had go to the gym right after work or it would never happen. And then I was likely to doze off in the chair after supper. some days I just hurt too much and had to skip it. And I only was going 2-3 times a week.

Luckily I usually haven't had to take narcotic pain relievers. Except for now with the post op and the RA being more active--I'd wouldn't say it rises to the level of a bad flare up, but maybe a mild one. Flare-ette? :wink:

You need to take care of yourself, @chestnc. It stinks but I've learned over the course of 40+ years with JRA that you have to listen to your body. Particularly when you're working, some days that's all you can do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom