Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tissue pain outside of knee

My problem has been on going pain on the outside of the knee when I lift my leg when bending my knee as one would to walk normally. He said that straightening the leg has put some stresses on the ligaments and tendons and should improve as I adjust to the new knee. I am also hopeful that a straighter leg will resolve some of the issues I have had with a hip replacement 6 years ago.
I was also very knock kneed pre- surgery ( over 20 degrees). My medial collateral ligament had been very stretched by my valgus leg and I too had pain for several months- particularly on stairs. I found that working on strengthening my quads and glutes ( particularly in my case the medial quad) really helped. My situation was a bit different in that I had a lateral PKR and my pain was medial but it sounds like basically the same problem. Those overstretched ligaments need a lot of muscle strength to pull them back as tight as they can go-when they are very stretched from years of a twisted leg.
Straightening my leg definitely helped my hip and back arthritis to be much less troublesome.
Good luck!
 
It is 6 months now since I had my left knee done. My physiotherapist as well as others said 6 months to a year to heal, and at the time I did not believe it! I do now , but I am much better now and most pain is gone, but my knees are stiff in the mornings. I saw the surgeon on Jan 10 and he said any pain I have now is normal and that I am "doing great". I had my left hip replaced 8 years ago but have had chronic pain in the hip and buttock area and especially going up stairs so he recommended I get a CAT scan now to see if they can see a problem. He also wants me to get my other knee done as there is bone loss and to add to the complexity I have osteoporosis. However in Ontario the wait is long and I am not willing to lose a second summer so next fall is OK with me. Unfortunately a lack of exercise, depression and worry have made me over eat so now I am out of shape and need to lose 20 pounds.
 
My physiotherapist as well as others said 6 months to a year to heal, and at the time I did not believe it! I do now , but I am much better now and most pain is gone, but my knees are stiff in the mornings.
I think we all are surprised by how long TKR recovery takes. Like you, I had my hip replaced before my knee. I went into my first TKR expecting the recovery to be similar. HA!

Glad to read you are feeling so much better. I continued to have stiffness for a long time after the pain was gone, but it did eventually resolve. I am now 13 months post-op on my second TKR and both knees are doing well.

Let us know when you schedule your other knee. All of us double TKRs will be here to cheer you on!
 
Hi jasper, thanks for the update.
I'm sorry you have to deal with the chronic pain in your hip / buttock area since you've made such wonderful progress post TKR. Hopefully you learn the origin of the pain soon and find a solution to help resolve it. I'll bet once you put your mind to it, you'll lose that 20 lbs easily. I wish you the best and hope you'll keep us in the loop in the months ahead.
@jasper01
 
A 1 year update: and new noise

It has been almost 1 year since I had my left knee replaced. I have been able to resume most activities, like gardening but I have a lack of confidence to do some of the other things I enjoy in summer like kayaking. My knee is much better but I still have a couple of issues. I still have a pain in the knee at the front lateral side under where the numb spot is (for those of you who have that you know where I mean). I liken it almost to a "burning pain". This happens when I swing my legs to get into bed and up and down stairs. I also have a chronic pain in my left hip which was replaced 7 years ago. Combined with my knee stairs are very difficult both up and down.
I had a CT scan on my hip and have an appointment with my ortho surgeon in 2 weeks. I will have a list of questions.
The odd side effect I have now is a loud but painless crackling when I straighten my knee when getting up from a low sitting position. It sounds like I am breaking a bundle of twigs! My ortho wants me to have my other knee done as there is bone loss. I really do not know what to do.
 
Hi jasper,
I'd like to wish you an early HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Hopefully all your questions are answered at your appointment with the OS in two weeks. I wish you all the best and hope you'll consider joining us as an Insider if you decide to have surgery on your Right knee. We'll be here to support you through all. Happy Summer!

Here is a link to check out basic membership vs Insider Club membership - Become an Insider
@jasper01
 
Right knee done November 28 2025

I had my right knee done yesterday, Nov 28. It went well and I came home that night. I had a spinal block. Apparently they add a "longer lasting" pain med to that and I was OK until I went to bed. Almost immediately the pain kicked in with painful spasms and bad pain everywhere. At times I was crying from the pain. I was given a prescription for hydromorphone 1 mg which barely helped so I spent a sleepless night. I got about 1 hour this morning when I took my Tylenols.
 
@jasper01, I'm sorry to read of your bad pain control last night. I pray today will be a better day for you.

In January, we implemented a new membership program. Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to search the forums, and read about other recoveries. Since this knee is a new surgery, you will need to become an Insider to be able to post anymore about it or receive any help from staff.

If you want a more personal experience, I hope you will choose one of our subscription options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

All our subscriptions renew automatically unless you cancel your membership before the renewal date. If you want just a 6-month subscription, you can purchase that option, wait a few days, and then cancel it. Your membership will go until the end of your 6-month period and will not renew. But you must cancel it to make this work.

Once you cancel, an expiration date will appear in your profile under MEMBERSHIP.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning jasper,
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough start. If you continue to feel the meds prescribed aren't allowing you to be comfortably mobile, or get any restorative rest, please notify your OS so they're able to help.
I wish you lots of comfort and hope to be able to support you as an Insider. Please join us!
@jasper01
 
Jasper, I’m so sorry you’re still in pain but it’s very early days for you and it does get better. Just had my knee done about 10 weeks ago and this is my first post in this group for a long time. Good to hear other people stories and reassure them that it Will get better. Had my hip done and my last post here was in 2010. it’s been great and I am hoping we can both get to that point where we forget all about the knee and it’s just normal. Best of luck.
 
Welcome back, @skicubad. Please share the dates of your surgeries and which knee/hip was replaced so we can create a signature for your posts.

Since you were last on the forum in 2010, we've implemented a two-tier membership program.
You are currently a Basic Member, which means you may search the forum and read others' threads. You may also post in those threads as long as your post is about their recovery.

If you'd like to share your current recovery and get advice from the staff, please consider joining the Insiders Club. We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club.
 
Thanks benne68! Not sure where I would go to put my surgery info. It’s been 15 years and I don’t want to hijack someone thread.
 
@skicubad …. If you click on the Knee Recovery Forum link in the drop down menu under KNEE in the blue toolbar at the top of the page, you’ll see an index page with our surgery team threads “stuck” at the top. Pick the month when you had your surgery and post your information there and we’ll take care of modifying your signature.
 
Hi jasper,
It is one month to date since your TKR. How are you doing? Please consider leaving an update on your progress. We'd like to hear from you and hope you're doing well.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!
@jasper01
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how recovery is going for you? I hope all is well and you're enjoying positive changes as you grow stronger and steadier on your feet. Touch base here when you have the time. We'd love to read about your milestones if you feel like sharing. Hope to hear from you soon! :fingersx:
@jasper01
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom