Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry that Mother's Day ended the way it did. Is there any research on how morhphine can effect the digestive system? I'm just wondering how long before your body won't feel the effects of it.

You're character and attitude are amazing in the face of difficulty and the unknown. You are always up beat and looking forward to life. I'm happy to hear you're glad you had the knee done! :egypdance:
 
Such a good update and will be very helpful to others contemplating this surgery or are in recovery.
I am so sorry your diverticulitis flared on Mother's Day. Can you pinpoint anything that may have set you off?
So pleased for you that you have found a compression hose that works for the swelling.
My right knee is a little over 6 months old and the left is 6 weeks. My left has healed remarkably fast and is actually stronger than my right one. Therapist thinks it was because the left supported the right for so long.
I am extremely grateful for my new knees and for the support and kindness from my friends on this forum. Your positive attitude and caring posts have helped me so much.
YES this difficult journey is definitely worth it!! There are times I am almost giddy with happiness as I realize 'I am not in pain'. My OS is going to get a big hug from me when I see him on the 25th, he has changed my life!!
 
Hi Janis. I hope all is going well for you. My OS suggested a compression sleeve for my knee and I wanted to ask where you got the stocking you have. Is it from toe to thigh? Did you need a prescription for it? I've been having swelling that comes as soon as I put my leg down. I was thinking that might help.
 
Marion, I am doing pretty good with the exception of the diverticulitis. I will figure it out one day! I was referred to a medical supply store that is owned and run by a registered nurse. I made an appointment for a fitting. You want to go to someone that is not just someone "working there". Find someone that knows what they are doing. No, insurance did not pay for them - I didn't try. It is a mid-thigh stocking. It comes about 6 inches above my knee. The brand is Juzo. They were $54 for a pair. I alternate them wearing only one on Ralph and not the natural knee.I cannot begin to tell you what a difference it has made.
 
I'm sorry your still fighting the diverticulitis. Hopefully you can get it under control soon. Thanks for the info. I'm going to give the company a call to see who might fit them around me. I think I might check out the leggings. They come in a lot of different colors and who would not like to see a huge woman in lime green leggings? :rotfl:
 
So Janis, how is your knee feeling after jumping out of the truck and chasing after Charlie?

I bought another pair of compression stockings in tan for wearing with shorts. I don't mind wearing the black one with shorts but I want to save them for work. This time I went with Jobst brand in the same size and compression as the Juzo brand. The Jobst stockings were cheaper, had good reviews, and even though they are a little different they feel just as comfortable to me. I ordered them from Amazon. So far no problem wearing either stocking in the heat. It's been humid and mid 90's the last couple days.
 
Hi Janis, Just catching up on your thread. I had trouble getting logged in for awhile, finally figured it out. Hope your diverticulitis is easing up. My mother-in-law has it and can usually control it pretty well with diet. I agree with you that the medications been have to take for awhile can really take their toll on us on other ways.

I am now past the 6 month mark too and feeling much better. Still get hit by the occasional exhaustion now and then. Wonder how w long that will keep occurring? Overall doing great and can finally say I'm glad I had both knees replaced too !
 
How nice to log on and see two posts from such good friends that have really helped and supported me through some rough patches!

John, @smarttoys , the knee is swelling a little more than normal and has a painful spot, but it will be ok. I had my seven month checkup and the OS said all looked good and to push through any pain and exercise that knee! My daughter and I drove to the coast to visit my elderly uncle and the 3 1/2 hour drive there and back really made it stiff. How is the upper band on the Jobsts? Are they staying up as well? We are supposed to go to a Greensboro Grasshopper baseball game tomorrow and it is supposed to be 96 degrees! I think I will not wear my stocking in the heat! If it wasn't an outing of my husband's Naval Academy Alumni Association, I would beg off! Mr. Charlie wet in the house today!!! The first time in the almost four months we have had him. He is really "off" for some reason. He is still going outside happily playing with his toys, obeying commands AT HOME, but was really a pistol at class Tuesday. Always interesting with a dog! Are you running Buddy this weekend?

Hi Karol! @karol723. It is nice to see you back on and doing well. I think the 6 month anniversary is a true turning point. I still have a problem with swelling, but I am managing it with a compression stocking. I also get the exhaustion sometimes - especially in this heat! I hesitate to say it is all the knee, when I have felt so lousy with the diverticulitis. I am really sorry your MIL has this dreadful disease. Figuring out what to eat and not eat is really a problem. It is a good feeling not having that bone on bone pain! I am happy for you. What are you doing to exercise?
 
Hopefully your knee feels better soon. Probably a good idea not to wear the stocking in that kind of heat. Even though my stocking doesn't bother me all day at work it does feel good to take it off at the end of the day. Especially when it's warm. I haven't worn the Jobst stocking all day yet but so far it has stayed up just as well as the Juzo. The silicone grippers and top band look almost identical to the Juzo.

I also have some moments of exhaustion and lack of concentration. I'm going to blame it on the TKR for now but I hope it gets better further on down the road.

I get stiff when driving more than an hour but it's not my knee that bothers me. It's my right hip. I've had some issues with that hip for a while. Probably a stack up of various injuries in my younger days. It had calmed down a bit and it wasn't bothering me too much until about a month ago. The more active I get the more my hip is acting up. X-rays don't show much. I'll keep trying to stretch and strengthen for now.

Charlie peeing in the house could be stress related. Maybe from the classes. I've seen many frustrated dogs and owners in classes. Just stay consistent and hopefully things will stay on track. You haven't had Charlie all that long yet. It could take a year or more before he really settles in. Kind of like a TKR. Yes, life is very interested with dogs. My dogs do things here and there that make me go :chinstroke: :what: :shrug:. But then they do something that makes me go:loveshwr:

I have Buddy entered in trials, one at the end of this month and twice in July. I'm sure I will enter a few more after that. Buddy did do well with the 1 hour 15 minute car ride each way to the facility we have been going to. He hates car rides.

Have fun at the baseball game and try to stay cool.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis @Timetolive I was just checking in I must admit I have been busy and have not had much time to check in. We had a fabulous holiday in Mexico just the hubby and I plane travel was all good did get a wheel chair when we landed in Cancun as the wait was going to be between 2-4 hrs to get through immigration, which i new my knee was not going to enjoy standing for so long. Otherwise had a great time. Its hard to believe we are 7 months past tkr. I see you are still suffering with swelling. I am walking more trying to get up to 15000 steps a day again but I can still feel when I have over done it. My right knee is not behaving and I am going to try the synvisc shot again otherwise am preparing to have the right knee done possibly December. Ugh thought I would get a bit more time before I had to through it again, but oh well rather get it over and done with so I can move on. :oyvey:
Take care
 
Madeleine, @macduf387 . I am so happy to hear you had a good vacation! Yes, it is hard to believe time has gone by so quickly from this vantage point, although 6 months ago, it was dragging! Does it seem time has dulled the pain of the TKR surgery to you? I know it is for me. I am sorry about your right knee. I also have a meniscus tear in my left knee, but after all the medicinal complications I have had, I am not ready to have another TKR. I understand though wanting to have another and be done. If my recovery had been smooth, I would have my other knee done also. I do hope the Synvisc shots help. They can be life and time savers for many! Thanks for the post. I am not on as much either, it seems the further I get from surgery, the less I have to contribute.
 
Hi Janis @Timetolive my left knee feels great still a little numbness on the outside but I am sure those nerves are regroing. Looking back I dont remember much about the first month after tkr too drugged up. But the recovery went as planned and besides some clicking which I feel my knee is great. The right one felt good after the athroscope, but the moment I started walking and exercising more it started to do the same pain as I had on my left knee before tkr. So I am just going to try the synvisc shots but also be proactive and set a date for early December as I know my surgeon books up fast. I can always cancel if the shots work wonders. I am also trying to plan when to be off mt feet and i know next year we are planning a Lake Powell trip in August so I figured lets get it done and be ready for the summer. Have a great week. :)
 
Hi Janis, just checking in to see how you are doing. How is the knee and Charlie doing? You missed your 8 month update. I skipped mine too. I have nothing new to report. Just super busy with work, family, and the dogs. My wife started doing some agility training with our Maltipoo Sam. Between my wife and my daughter working with him he has moments of brilliance. I hope that they can compete with him some day.
 
Hi John (@smarttoys)! Life just kinda consumes you at times doesnt its? That is great about your wife and daughter working your other dog. Having something your family can do together will be a wonderful memory for your daughter and nice for you to do with your wife. Charlie and I are now in the intermediate class. We are working on extended stays, placement, gait speed, and introducing therapy dog stuff. This class will work toward the AKC Canine Good Citizen award also. Unfortunately,my husband's mother is dying and we are leaving for Arkansas on Tuesday, so I'll have to drop out for now. Hopefully I can pick up the next class. The teacher is really impressed with Charlie's progress. When he gets tired - he is ready to GO! He is done and just quits. Funniest thing ever. This little beagle has really won our hearts. Thanks for all your help. I am going to make me some weave poles out of PVC when we get back.

My knee is doing fairly well. It just continues to swell. With our heat here, it has really been a problem. I haven't worn my stocking much due to the heat. I have been working on my extension still. I feel I am almost at 0. My ROM is not quite what the other knee is,but I am happy. I tried to kneel on the knee....oh my. It was like kneeling on razor blades. Do you have that sensation?

Thanks for checking on me. Where has the year gone?
 
Yes, life is consuming but it's nice to get on with life. I wish I could meet Charlie. He sounds like a fun dog. Some dogs will just shut down and be done once they get tired. That happens to Buddy once in a while but usually only in class when I've been working him for a full hour. That's a long time for some dogs and it can be mentally and physically draining for them. Unless it's a herding breed of dog like a Border Collie. Some of them can just go and go and go and not get mentally tired as fast. They seem to strive on repetition. The nice thing about training at home between classes is that you can keep the sessions short and fun.

I still have some swelling when I am too active which seems to be most of the time. After being on my feet all day at work I still get a little stiff and sore. As you know Harleys are heavy bikes and pushing them around and working on them all day gets tiring. When I get home I rest and elevate for 30 minutes to an hour and then I'm ready to do something with the kids and play with the dogs and take my daily walk. I have also been going for bicycle rides with the kids a few times a week. I don't wear my stocking all the time but it feels good to wear it once in a while.

I have yet to put my full weight on my TKR knee when kneeling. Once in a while when I'm kneeling on my good knee I will put some weight on the TKR knee and it doesn't feel too bad.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. Have a safe trip and please give your husband my condolences.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Love your dog stories, though we are a cat family. On the kneeling thing, expect the pain. For many it does get better. At my 2 year follow-up my OS suggested that if I was not yet comfortable kneeling, I probably would never be. Not good news for a quilter! I find I can do it if I have good padding under the knees. But I continue to try to acclimate the knees to kneeling, ever hopeful mine will be among those that improve!
 
@NightQuilter, I also have a cat! A 14 lb cat! GiGi is a rescue and special needs. She has asthma and uses an inhaler twice a day. Love both my babies. Interesting about kneeling. Thank you for sharing that.
 
Hi Janis! I'm happy that You are doing well. Charlie sounds like the life of the party in puppy classes.

I am offering some special prayers for your mil. :flwrysmile:
 
I can kneel, but I don't like to do it.
Interestingly, it is more comfortable for my last TKR (left knee) than for the older TKR (right knee).
The right TKR was a revision, so maybe that has something to do with it, as that knee has probably had more surgical interference.

To get up off the floor nowadays, I tend to get onto my left knee and then push to standing with my right leg.
 
I don't like kneeling at all. On my two yr old right knee nor my 8 month old left knee. I think it's painful. But the times I have knelt I think we're from getting up from a fall. So it would have been on hard surfaces. Maybe I should get them acclimated by kneeling on the bed or sofa. There are some tasks that would be so much easier if I could kneel. And as I recall after my first TKA my surgeon didn't want me kneeling at all. I'm overweight - maybe that has something to do with it. Too much weight on the knees! :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom