Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't need a release to drive either. I just got in the car and drove the three blocks to my friend's house. I hadn't driven in 10 weeks.
A while ago there was a woman here with the same problem as you with nausea, but I can't remember her name. Maybe I can find her in posting history.
 
Since it was my left knee and I stopped all pain meds at 2.5 weeks out I started to drive. I had no choice because I live alone and if I needed to go anywhere I had to drive. My current OS says after 2 weeks for left as long as you aren't taking pain meds during the day and 6 weeks for right and no pain meds for the day. Fortunately I have electric seats and have to push seat back to get in and out of my car. (I still have to.)
A trial short drive is probably a good idea. I did have someone with my the first time just in case.
 
@KarriB, it is not the nausea bothering me now, it is diarrhea. It starts between 5:30 a.m. - 7:00 a.m and hopefully finishes by 11:30. Then I have a little before bedtime.

Thanks everyone for telling me when you drove. I had my right knee done and still have swelling in the knee making it hard to bend as I am on it more. I have an SUV, so I can get in and out easily now.
 
It was @Blueslady , Janis. She had diarrhea for a few weeks also. You commented on her thread too. I believe her GP or gastro dr said it was due to the amount of Tylenol or some other pain med she had been taking long before her TKR.
 
Morning Janis so sorry the poop fairy is still working overtime I guess the only good thing about that is we usually loose weight. Ugh anyway feel better soon. As far as the driving like everyone else has said when you feel ready I started driving last week I went to pt on my own, it was good to drive again. ☺️
I hope the rest of your day is great.
 
I started driving when I was comfortable doing it and could move my foot quickly enough and apply enough pressure for emergency brake. I did not drive alone until I felt I could make the round trip. The first few times my knee would get sore. So I always had someone with me just in case.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As far as driving, when I had my right knee done I think I started driving at 3 wks. But it was only to pt or the dr. Left knee I started driving st 2 weeks. You need to be comfortable with making an emergency stop. If you don't think you can get your foot to the brake in time, I wouldn't drive yet. When you're out driving today with your husband try a fast stop to test it out. I also went by physical therapists advice as to when I could start driving. She knew the flexibility/agility of my knee better than my surgeon did.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Janis, your hind end must be very sore!!! Miserable way to lose weight too.
I just started driving last week ( week 7). Some days I can't drive because of the swelling so hubby had done most of the driving.


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I'm at a bit over 2.5 weeks and I had right and have been driving since I dropped the narcos, but I drive with two feet so I don't know if the moving from gas to brake motion if that effects your time back. I also always drive with ice strapped on my knee...

my biggest concern was making sure the meds had cleared my body because of timing - driving 75mph with delayed reactions is NOT what I wanted to do to myself.


RTKR - 08DEC15
 
Good morning. Thank you all for the driving information. My husband rode with me around the neighborhood yesterday. All seemed ok - except the swelling that occurred and made the knee stiffen. I think it would be ok for short trips and for trips that would not make the knee swell and stiffen. (Like PT) My husband was sweet and said he is not quite ready to let me go on my own. We have been through a lot in these past 7 weeks and I sometimes have to remember he has been through it also. I am so blessed to have a loving spouse.

May each of you have a day free of pain, less discomfort, and have at least one good moment of humor!
 
Hi @Timetolive just stopping by to see how you are doing. Thinking of you and hoping your bruising and pain are much improved


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
@Thesoutherncook, Helen, that is a great idea. Darling took me to work today and I am glad. My knee was so swollen after sitting for 5 1/2 hours, I am sure I would not be able to drive very well when that happens.

@foodiex2, how nice to hear from you! The bruising is finally breaking up and moving down to the ankle and foot. My lower calf is tender still and my calf will get firm at times. I had a bout of diverticulitis and I am trying to recover from that. It has really knocked me on my behind. How are you doing?
 
@Timetolive sorry to hear that you are still suffering from having the poop fairy as an unwelcome house guest! Can't she take a hint for heavens sake? There are plenty of other people here who would welcome a visit!

I had my left knee done and was told to wait to drive until after my 4 week postop visit. My OS' schedule was full so that happened at 5 weeks, and driving after so long felt kind of strange, but not painful. I still need pain meds most nights, especially after working, and I take them early enough to make sure I am alert before driving to work in the morning. Getting in and out of the car in a narrow parking space has been hard if my leg is swollen - sometimes it is my first indicator that the swelling has increased :nah:.

I enjoy your posts so much, you are so upbeat and supportive of others, and I am sorry you ran into digestive issues and are still not 100%. Not fair! I hope things continue to improve.
 
I found that when my calf is tight a hot bath relaxes it a lot. Since I've been able to soak the past few nights my calf is not as tight. Glad to hear that the bruising has went down. Hopefully soon the swelling will also ease up for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@New England Librarian, how very kind of you. I will be more than HAPPY to send the Poop Fairy :chuckmarch: to ANYONE'S house! But be warned: you will need a tube of A&D Ointment! :rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks for sharing your experience about driving and being so sweet. I am sorry to hear your knee is still swelling. I will pray for you to have comfort.
 
@Vangheluwec, I used a heating pad on the calf tonight and it really helped. I am glad you are enjoying your baths! There is no way I could get out of our tub now!
 
I couldn't even get into a bath never mind out without a forklift!:loll: How are you doing today? Have you finally passed the :chuckmarch: to visit some of our new friends looking for a visit? How lucky you are to have someone so special and caring in your life. I hope you both are finally getting some much deserved rest.
 
Hang in there you have been a real trooper considering what you have had to endure. I hear you on the loving hubby I could not have got through this without mine by my side. Btw Re you sleeping with an ice machine on your leg it has really helped my knee it swells throughout the day but after sleeping with the ice machine I wake up with no swelling. Wishing you a week full of good things.
:):wink::yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom