TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear you got some answers. It may be easier to relax now. Have a good night!
 
So glad you saw not only the PA but the OS, too! I hope this will help you feel better!
We are on night one of babysitting. So far, so good. I brought a knee sleeve with me. Hoping it will help the "other" knee make it through the 5 days! These Grands are precious!!
 
So glad the OS saw you!! That's great, finally some answers that will give you peace of mind. No wonder you are in so much pain! Gee, don't you wish they had quit using Xaralto before you had surgery :shrug:.
It's going to get better!!

​
 
I so appreciate you all! If we can ever get this bruising and swelling down, I KNOW things are going to move right along. The OS also told me that in addition to ice, it would be alright to use heat twice a day to help break up some of this. I do know it feels so nice after the shower has loosened it up.

Karri, Macduf, and Glamg, yes, peace of mind and Ralph and I are looking forward to a peaceful day tomorrow. DH has an appointment tomorrow and will be out of the house a bit. I think the recliner just MIGHT call my name and have a nice soft blanket waiting! :sleeep:

Helen, enjoy those granddarlings!! Be sure Buddy gets rest and watch Buddy's friend! Is Grandmother making cookies this trip?

I hope all have a restfilled night.

Janis
 
The heat feels amazing. I don't use it on the top but on the sides and behind. It feels like it relaxes everything for a little bit. Glad you got into the os that way you don't need to worry as much.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning! It is crisp out today - well.....I think....I haven't been out. :flwrysmile: Hahahaha! 47 degrees is crisp for NC. I will be so happy when I can go for a walk to exercise. It was always my favorite form of exercise and meditation. I was attacked by a dog while walking and that gives me pause, but I do love to be outside!

Chalk up another small victory!!! I got my tennis shoe on the operated leg all by myself!! I have been having to have help with the sock and of course pushing that shoe on, but determination and a lot of thought prove to be the key. :loveshwr: Silly things mean a LOT when you are bored - don't they?:spin:

What small victory are you happy to report?
 
We made it up and out this am at 7:15 with the Grandarlings ( LOVE that name! ). They are at "school" and we are resting! I made dough for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies so that Emmie and I can shape and bake. On Christmas Eve we will decorate gingerbread people that I will bring already baked.
Hurrrahhh for putting on your shoe! Good girl! :wave: Hope your day is pain free!
 
I was given permission to drive on Wednesday -- although after the trip to the doctor's, my knee told me not to go too far or too long! I was looking forward to going to the new IKEA store that opened in St Louis a few months ago -- just to window shop and get out of the house. (A friend was going to take me.) Could not believe it when I learned they only have manual wheelchairs! A store that size!? Or maybe because it is so big, they don't want the electric buggies dying at some far corner and leaving their riders stranded. Guess I'll have to wait until next year.

5 days pre-op, 25 days post-op
 
I didn't realise we could use heat pack on side & back of knee & thigh. I might try this see if that would help me? I still can't lift my leg it's so frustrating & i'm on day 31 post op! I feel so down about it today & also feel so tired! Any ideas would be appreciated please:sleep:
 
@kayak59 , I am sorry about the IKEA trip. It is a HUGE store. I think you will enjoy it more when you can walk through it. Time is winding down (or up?) for you!!! You are in my prayers.

@suemegane, please remember I had a terrible reaction to Xarelto and have EXCESSIVE bruising and swelling. It is not the "normal" leg recovery. We are trying to get the blood to break up with the heat and massage to relieve some of the firmness and pressure so the swelling will go down. Are you doing any quad exercises? Have they tried electrical stimulation? What does your OS and PT say? I am so sorry you are having trouble. It is frustrating when things don't go like we thought they should or like someone else's journey. You are prayed for.
 
Yes, trying to do the bridging between chair & stool & pushing knee & thigh down. Are there any other ones I maybe able to do? Not sure about electrical stimulation???? PT says she wants me to concentrate on getting my extension better.
 
I didn't realise we could use heat pack on side & back of knee & thigh. I might try this see if that would help me?
We don't usually recommend heat until much later in recovery. That's because the heat encourages more blood to come to your knee, which could increase swelling.
I'd say you can use heat on your thigh and calf, but nowhere around your knee. Timetolive's is a special case, and the advice her surgeon gave her shouldn't be applied to other knee recoveries.

Your quad will wake up eventually so that you can lift your leg. We had had a few people whose quad took longer than most, but they worked in the end.
 
Thank you for that advice @Celle it's still frustrating that I can't raise that leg......I have got so upset today with it. I know i have just got to be patient with this recovery...I probably didn't prepare myself for this, but how many of us have ( it's the unknown if we haven't found a site like this )
 
@Celle , awww....you think I am special! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (I hope you see the humor in that!) Yes, my knee is very different and that is why I put the caution there. I think this reaction has surprised them all. Hopefully, this might help get the blood moving out of the tissues - I am looking FORWARD to the ankle turning dark! Then I know it is finally moving out.

@suemegane, my heart goes out to you. I have been very frustrated with my situation and I Know it has to be terrible for you. I am so sorry.
 
Good morning! It is crisp out today - well.....I think....I haven't been out. :flwrysmile: Hahahaha! 47 degrees is crisp for NC. I will be so happy when I can go for a walk to exercise. It was always my favorite form of exercise and meditation. I was attacked by a dog while walking and that gives me pause, but I do love to be outside!

Chalk up another small victory!!! I got my tennis shoe on the operated leg all by myself!! I have been having to have help with the sock and of course pushing that shoe on, but determination and a lot of thought prove to be the key. :loveshwr: Silly things mean a LOT when you are bored - don't they?:spin:

What small victory are you happy to report?
Great on the shoe! I took great pride in putting my socks and shoes on every day. :)
Yeah, yeah, 47 is crisp for you whereas in the midwest we're having a beautiful day at 42. :heehee:
 
@Timetolive - of course you're special! :)

Everyone here on BoneSmart is special, for one reason or another. That's why we advise people not to compare knees. Every knee is different and every recovery is different. Of course, there are broad similarities, but no two people have exactly the same degree of damage in their knee, exactly the same surgery or exactly the same surgical technique.

I love the way that people here support each other.
 
Getting shoes and socks on yourself is another bit of independence you've gained back. Hooray! There'll be more soon!
 
Good morning @KarriB. I cherish my independence! I was wondering what my next goal should be....:chinstroke: My daughter is going to come over and we are going to get flowers to put on my parents graves today. Well....I am riding along. It will be nice to go for a ride out to the cemetery since it is at a rural church. I would love to go out to eat - perhaps that will be my goal! Sitting with the leg down is usually not a happy. How does everyone else manage this? Prop on the booth? Keep moving the leg during the meal?? Any ideas?

May you each have a day that amazes you! :flwrysmile:
 
Yes! Go out to lunch! But you MUST prop that leg up. I made sure I sat in a booth with my leg beside me. I leaned against the side of the booth instead of the back. Going for lunch or breakfast after my Drs appt. kept me sane and let me feel a bit of normalcy even though I didn't have much of an appetite. I was tired
afterwards, but my knee wasn't much worse for wear. I also took an ice pack in a thermal lunch bag just in case I needed it in the car. If my leg was down in the car I was icing it also.
I'm off to visit a friend off lives about an hour and half away. We are attending a Christmas Tea at her church. The ladies of the church sponsor a table, bring their China and decorate the tabletops. It's lovely seeing everyone's beautiful table.
Have a good day and I hope you enjoy being out a bit!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom