Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Wow. I’m pretty open minded but in no way would I allow a male as a roommate.
 
Wow. I’m pretty open minded but in no way would I allow a male as a roommate.

I must admit it crossed my mind for a moment, but not really a big deal for either of us. I would have missed out on meeting a wonderful person.

Actually I made sure the nurses closed the back of my gown before cutting in front of her bed to the washroom. Didn't wanna give her a heart attack.
 
Last edited:
Enjoying reading your first hand account of recovery! I had the two story Walker dilemma as well, 15 stairs on a curved stairwell, and after first weeks of having hubby haul the wheeled walker up and down the stairs for me each time, I finally broke down and got a second one upstairs with wheels. Best investment. I use it to carry meals, plates between dining room & kitchen. Husband no longer has to carry it up and down, and my cat thinks it's a gazebo on wheels that I got especially for her, good for the whole family. :)
 
Although this may fall under TMI, but use the little plastic urinal thingy in the night rather than trek to the bathroom. Man, never knew I peed so much

Love that thing. There's a very good chance I'll keep using it long past the time it's needed. My record is 600 (not sure what the unit of measurement is, I just want to win at peeing). Although at that point, if a second pee comes before it's been emptied, I'm faced with a risky decision (only goes to 1000).
 
Love that thing. There's a very good chance I'll keep using it long past the time it's needed. My record is 600 (not sure what the unit of measurement is, I just want to win at peeing). Although at that point, if a second pee comes before it's been emptied, I'm faced with a risky decision (only goes to 1000).
It's measured mls, or millilitres. Used it last night and first thing in the morning, hit 975mls. Weird game but I get it.
 
:loll: Goof balls, you two, Joe & Elsinore.
 
I’m definitely going with the little plastic urinal for my next surgery. Getting up 3 times a night when I could barely get out of bed, slolum around the dogs, try to maneuver a walker bigger than the door frame to get into the bathroom, slolum back around the dogs ( you would think they would just move) and then struggle to get back into bed. urgh...do I really have to do this again?
 
I did things the same way you did @soccerdad but with double hip replacement AND having to sit down...dog in tow and obstructing the whole path.:unsure:
All temporary..keep the faith @Elsinore
Wishing you a healing weekend!
:ok:
 
@Mojo333 I’m not sure if modesty or not....I just think in a hospital, if I had to have a roomie, I’d want a female. I worked at a hospital, same sexes were together. Luckily, where I’ve had my replacements, the ortho floor are all privates!
 
Luckily, where I’ve had my replacements, the ortho floor are all privates!
Mine too!:)
I admit it was take me aback if my roomie was male.
Would like to keep my privates private.:)
 
I'm sure that accommodations are made for privacy concerns...
 
Interesting conversation re different genders in the room. As @Mojo333 said, accommodations were made in terms of room curtains, my neighbour was closer to the washroom and I couldn't see when she would use it. And the nurses were on top of things so I wouldn't flash her when walkering by. They also ensured that the curtains between us were always closed. I suppose it would be more of an issue for a woman - I get that.
 
Day 5 post surg: Some observations and anecdotes.
  • I refused the muscle relaxant the morning after the surgery cuz of my hospital toilet seat phobia (is it a phobia if it's true?). I haven't had any pain killers since Day 1 evening after surg. And now I'm paying the price. I'm going to stop eating today and pound the water into me since I haven't been able to, how can I put this delicately, have a significant poop in five days.
  • I have this thing attached to my dressing that measures seepage. https://www.smith-nephew.com/key-products/advanced-wound-management/pico/ The darn thing needs a clip to go on my pj's or something. Anyway, I'm messing around on the computer and the only way I can keep this device from flying all over (when wearing pocketless pjs) is to wrap it Grease style into the arm of my short sleeve shirt (y'know, like a pack of smokes). I have it rolled onto the top of my shoulder. My son comes into the room and says "Heyyyyy, I see the muscle shirt came in. When do the muscles arrive?" Shmuck.
  • My neighbour lady in the hospital says to me... "do you know any men who don't like women with toes I can date?" (she lost two toes in her accident - she was a card I tell ya)
  • My breakfast comes with apple juice the day after the op. I see apple juice going by my bed to my neighbour. I say out loud "Hey, I didn't order urine with my breakfast!" Lady neighbour busts up. Guess maybe I'm not a gentleman?!?
  • The Dogs. One moves when I say move. The other doesn't, but this other one will not leave my side. She started sniffing my dressing today. Wonder what she thinks?
  • I don't know about you folks, but before the operation it was getting increasingly more difficult to stand up from a low couch, or worse yet, the toilet. I was bicycling at least 3 days a week since Spring to build my strength but still a challenge. Now at day 5 post-op I feel stronger than before the operation. Cool.
  • And speaking of toilets, on the two toilets I use, my son put those toilet extenders on to make them higher. I'm 6 feet tall and they are the bee's knees.
 
Last edited:
You sound good!
Humor intact. Had me laughing several times throughout your post. Laughter is great medicine.
I can't say I'd be comfortable with a male roomie in the hospital, but then again, your experience turned out okay.

As much as we want to ditch those meds, they keep you comfortably mobile which you need to be.
Not too mobile, but comfortable when you're moving around. Here's a rough guideline of Activity Progression.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Hope you have a great day!
@Elsinore
 
As much as I hate the raised toilet seat (why couldn't they increase the diameter of the seat just a few inches?!), it's also definitely a necessity. I'm 6'1", a little over 200 lbs - basically I'd have to do a deep one-legged squat of my entire body weight to make a regular toilet seat work, which is not happening.

That wound management thingy sounds quite annoying. Can you maybe tape it to your leg with medical tape?

The modesty conversation is entertaining to me. My wife was embarrassed at how little I cared about the positioning of my gown in the hospital, whether the door to the room was open or not. I know at least one passer-by got an eyeful when I was shifting ice packs around.

Sounds like your recovery is going well. I only recently stopped with the Norco, just Tramadol now, and still taking Norco at night. Either you have a really high pain tolerance or your surgeon was in and out like a ninja - either way, congrats on that!
 
Calf swelling. I just called the extra mural nurse because my calf and foot are much bigger on the operated leg. I will keep you up to date. (Yes, I have been elevating it).
 
Last edited:
My operated leg and foot look like Fred Flintstone's.
The intra mural nurse said that it is completely normal... no cause for alarm.
Always worth checking though. Taking Aspirin 81 at supper time for a month.
 
Yep, I had swelling too. I must say it frightened me.
Felt much better when it returned to normal.
Hope yours goes down quickly, expect it to be up and down for a bit though.
 
As much as I hate the raised toilet seat (why couldn't they increase the diameter of the seat just a few inches?!), it's also definitely a necessity. I'm 6'1", a little over 200 lbs - basically I'd have to do a deep one-legged squat of my entire body weight to make a regular toilet seat work, which is not happening.

That wound management thingy sounds quite annoying. Can you maybe tape it to your leg with medical tape?

The modesty conversation is entertaining to me. My wife was embarrassed at how little I cared about the positioning of my gown in the hospital, whether the door to the room was open or not. I know at least one passer-by got an eyeful when I was shifting ice packs around.

Sounds like your recovery is going well. I only recently stopped with the Norco, just Tramadol now, and still taking Norco at night. Either you have a really high pain tolerance or your surgeon was in and out like a ninja - either way, congrats on that!

Hey @JoeKnows I know what you mean with the little toilet seats... a few inches would be a lot better! It kinda looks like it's made for kids.

They are removing the wound management thingy on Monday so I'll stay in John Travolta mode with it in my sleeve. Wearing shorts today and just put it in my pocket.

Your modesty comment is hilarious. When they had me practicing by myself with the walker in the hospital hallways I'm pretty sure that my gown was open on the side while people were all around me. I only realized this after I got back in bed. As they say around here: On a de la fun et on a meme pas tous nue. Roughly speaking, We're having fun and we're not even naked.

Your earlier comment about my Doc being a Ninja... the hospital I went to is in a small city with 150,000 people. Luckily my Doc loves to travel the world and learn about any up and coming technique and then come home and apply it. We're lucky to have him.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom