Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Got home a couple of hours ago. Fell asleep. Woke up to serious pain... used frozen beans on thigh. Took morphine an hour ago. Not working yet.
 
Morphine only taking a bit of the edge off. Regardless feel very fortunate to be home on the day after surgery. And Thanks @Bionic.
 
Please consider using some ice packs, I think you'll have better results.
If you don't have any, you can find them at any local drugstore. Have someone purchase several for you.
Wondering if your pain is well managed?
May be something you need to talk to the office of your OS about (soon) if you continue to feel
you're in "serious pain" and your meds are only "taking a bit of the edge off."
That wouldn't be considered effective pain relief. Please address this, there's no need to suffer.
Hope tomorrow is better than today.
@Elsinore
 
You may want to think about an ice machine. I have the machine, ice packs and frozen peas. The ice machine gives the best results.

Hope the meds are working. If not, call the surgeons office tomorrow.
 
Very best Elsinore.

Do keep us updated on your progress post op.

Bonesmart always here for you anytime
 
@Elsinore
How are you today and did you get any sleep?
Sleep is the thing that has probably troubled us all most. We have spent many of the wee hours on this forum or watching box sets or listening to music. or just walking round he bedroom.
 
:wave:
Tough first days for sure.
Don't hesitate to take those meds on time irregardless of if you think you might need them...staying ahead of the pain is imperative for keeping comfortable (as possible at this point) and as everyone has already relayed...ice, and more ice!:ice:
All temporary...hang in there dear @Elsinore
 
Last edited:
I hope your pain feels better controlled today.
Let us know how you're doing once you're resting comfortably.
We're here for you...
@Elsinore
 
Hi Elsinore.

Hope your pain is easing up and you are more comfortable
 
Feeling good... time for an update.
  • Surgery on Sept 10th at 7:30 AM, sent home on Sept 11th
  • Because of the anterior approach the physio told me that there were no limitations to bending more than 90 degrees.
  • This was the same doc who did my other hip in 2011; however he has changed his recovery protocol. In 2011 it was to move from walker to crutches to cane asap; I was in the hospital for two and a half days that time.
  • Now, it's 3 weeks with walker (now that'll make you feel like a fogey), then 3 weeks with a cane, then 3 weeks with no implement but being careful
  • Doc told me it takes 6 weeks for the bone to imbed into the metal.
 
Part 2. More on the day of the surg, sept 10.
  • oh, did I tell you there was not catheter!!!!!
  • on the day of the surgery the doc wanted me up and walking with a walker that day... went to the bathroom with the help of a male and female nurse.
  • They said I had to sit and not stand.
  • I don't know about you guys but I put paper on the toilet seat but wasn't up to doing it. To be honest it bugged me a bit but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Not a big deal until the whiz I took before bed. I'll get to that.
  • The first time I sat on the throne, I felt like I was free falling until I smacked on the toilet seat. That surprised the two nurses who then exclaimed that I was really tall. Not really...at 6 feet. The landing kinda hurt. But only for a minute or two.
  • Back to PEE #2. This time one nurse came in with me (BTW they leave when you do your biz). It was a shared toilet between both two person rooms. And there were skid marks on the seat... re-ignites my dirty toilet phobia. But nurse takes care of it.
  • Walking from the bathroom to the bed is tiring. Feel like a wimp.
  • getting on the bed worked out ok.
  • Next to me in the shared room was a woman who was hit by a truck and DRAGGED ALONG THE ROAD!!!!!!
  • She had been there for just over 2 months!!! And had a great attitude. In fact we were re-enacting Seinfeld episodes and killing ourselves laughing even though we couldn't see each other.
  • It did turn out however that she is in the elite level of snoring. Meh.
 
Last edited:
Part 3, Sept 11, Tues, day after surg
  • at 2:30 am it feels like my body is now starting to twerk in pain. I ring the nurse buzzer. Nurse yells YES in the intercom. I'm afraid it will wake my neighbour. nope. Elite level of snoring still.
  • Nurse gives me a squirt of Delaudid?. PS Don't get me wrong the nurses are all incredible.
  • From 2:30 to 3:30 I'm still trying to will the pain away cuz meds not working.
  • 3:30 the tranq kicks in.
  • This day was not as good as the day of the op. Pain happening, but not cry out loud stuff. They try morphine in the morning. Does nothing. But who cares cuz Doc says I'm good to leave at 11:30 am. I REALLY want to go home.
  • I've been told by the physio not to overdo the movement as the hip repairs itself without moving around... concurs with the info @Layla sent me. Cool. I like being lazy.
  • Here's the set up with the walkers --> I had rented a wheel=less one as per the hospital's advice, but phsyio lady said to get one with wheels. Since it's two story house I keep the wheeled one on the main floor, have a 4 leg cane to get up and down the stairs, and have the stationary walker at the top of the stairs. Works well. But going up the stairs (about 12 of them) is really tiring.
  • Overall though I feel ok
 
Now, it's 3 weeks with walker (now that'll make you feel like a fogey), then 3 weeks with a cane, then 3 weeks with no implement but being careful
Not sure why they are giving you this "time table". There is no time table for THR recovery. Transition to another walking aid when you are ready - not to a schedule. And please don't try walking without any aids until you are feeling totally confident.
 
Part 4, Sept 12, 2 days after surgery

I gotta say that Tuesday night I didn't have much luck with the morphine in letting me sleep. I make the decision to stay in our bedroom all day.

I also have to wear some kind of weird device attached to the dressing that will identify any seepage. My wife and son are fantastic, catering to any need. Although this may fall under TMI, but use the little plastic urinal thingy in the night rather than trek to the bathroom. Man, never knew I peed so much.

Our two big huskies decide to keep me company on the bed much of the day... other when they decide to play fight not a big deal. Leg is DEFINITELY getting better. Doesn't feel like a dead log like last time. I can bend it pretty well. The secret to getting off the bed is to lie on my back on the bed, slip good foot under heel of bad leg and pivot up. My incredible 50 pounds of muscle on my belly make sitting up straight a bit of a challenge.

My business partner drops in with yellow roses and a video game for me. What an awesome guy. Son and wife helping constantly. Gonna owe them bigly. ;-)

Day ends well with awesome sleep.
 
Last edited:
Part 5, Sept 15, Thurs, 3 days after surgery.

Great day! Go down the stairs and figure out how to self serve my meals while using the walker. Decide I need to use my car coffee cup with top to carry coffee and tea around. No meds needed. Check Facebook, lots of cool support from people
 
Not sure why they are giving you this "time table". There is no time table for THR recovery. Transition to another walking aid when you are ready - not to a schedule. And please don't try walking without any aids until you are feeling totally confident.
Pretty sure it was based on ensuring the bone had engaged around the prosthesis before I do anything stupid.
 
Am I reading right, Elsinore....you’re a guy and your roommate in the hospital was a female?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@InkedMarie - Yes I am male and my roommate was female. Wasn't a big deal, always had curtains drawn between us.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom