Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

Just heard from my OS who tells me that I have to give things a full 6 weeks to get better, but he will allow me on the bike as long as I don't overdo it.
He says I definitely cannot use the eliptical trainer.

FYI: my PT told me that I can lift weights (at a lower level) as long as I am sitting down.

Thanks folks once again for all your sage advice! This is a VERY helpful site.

Bruce
P.S.: I don't think I'll ask the OS about riding the dirtbike. But hopefully by summer I will be able to throw my leg over it and do some gentle trail riding. I think it will be easier on my body than mountain bicycling as the dirtbike has over a foot of suspension at each wheel.

I think I will also continue cross country skiing next year, but i doubt whether downhill skiing will be permitted.
 
Bruce, as your OS about skiing and the dirtbike at your next followup. I think you will be surprised at what is permitted once all the healing is done. My only restrictions are no parachuting and no bungee jumping!
 
I know he isn't keen on the dirtbike thing, worried that I will fall off and land on my new hip. In fact, he said before I had the operation that he won't do it if I ride or race motorcycles off-road.

But there's riding, and then there's riding. With 40 years of experience I can take it easier but still have a good pace and good fun.
 
Last summer, before I knew the extent of my injury, I was trying all kinds of things to alleviate the pain. Earlier in the year, my osteopath had pulled on my leg and I had felt relief for a bit.

So... I thought I'd try an inversion bench. Although kind of fun to hang upside down, it didn't really help.

I figure it's the last thing I'd want to use for the rest of my life given the hip replacement but before I sell it, does anyone use one and is it helpful?
 
I guess it's more there is racing and then there is riding. I am sure riding for fun and at a good pace is what he would rather see.

Besides - you certainly wouldn't want to ruin your shiny new hip!
 
Hi Elsinore,

I started back on the recumb. bike at 6 days post op. Started slow and short and quickly built my way up.

I had no restrictions.

Laura

LTHP 1/22/10
 
Hallo, Elsinore, First you need to know I am just a fellow struggler and not an expert. I am 10 weeks in and doing very well, so I am told. The fitness adviser at the local gym went through all the equipment I had been using before the operation and observed me closely. We agreed that the best way forward was to do the things I had been used to, but to reduce the loading to about 20% of what it had been.

Seems to me that with a complete upside down hang and consequent leg stretch you are not able to monitor the stretch and increase it a little at a time. It's very important not to stretch over much, because the resultant recoil can make the affected part sore as it shrinks quickly back.

Sell it or save it until you are much further on with your recovery. Or just ignore me. I don't know what I'm talking about. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Yours,

Alan
 
Those Inversion Tables have warnings about blood clots breaking loose when hanging upside down. Imagine post-op with a higher risk of blood clots....just sayin'
 
I certainly think if you plan to use the inversion machine, you should discuss it with both your surgeon and your GP. I'm not familiar enough with the risks myself to comment.
 
He hasn't had any surgery of late but my nephew (47) has a bad back and treats it with an inversion table all the time. But he works out a lot, really hard, in his own little gym! More than that, I cannot say. I just get nightmares about being hung upside down and unable to get back up because of my weight! :th_heehee:
 
I saw that commercial last week...had seen it before, but wanted to listen more carefully after all the junk my body's been through over the last year + a few months.

Would be a no for me, due to TMJD and equilibrium precautions. No running, jogging, lifting things overhead....much like the knees. But I do prefer to remain right side up.
 
Thanks folks.... I think I'll get rid of it. Didn't do much for my leg/hip back when I used it anyway. It did help with a bit of back pain, but that's been taken care of:smile:
 
Over the last week or so, every couple of days my thigh feels like it's burning for about 10 seconds and my thigh even feels hot on the outside compared to the other.

Happen to anyone else? Should I worry about this?

Thanks all!
Bruce
 
I don't think this is anything to worry about, Bruce. These odd twinges come and go during recovery. There is a lot of healing going on inside your body right now. As nerves awaken, that can cause some of the things you describe. It will only be a temporary problem.
 
All normal Bruce. Be sure to ice the area.

You will feel lots of aches and pains as nerves reconnect and muscles start to perform in a different way.

Are you still taking your pain meds?
 
Thanks for being reassuring Jaycie and Jamie! You guys are great.
Taking the pain meds usually at night.
 
Ah - you might need some pain meds during the day. You are very early out to go without anything during the most active time of the day.

The more active you get the more you need to balance activity with pain relief. Staying ahead of the pain lets you move and regain strength.
 
Pain has many 'faces'. It's been characterized as
soreness
burning
stabbing
throbbing
aching
swelling
stiffness


They all need medicating, maybe with simple OTC meds sometimes, or icing, depending upon the severity.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom