Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* THR Take Two, 2.5 years later

I had an advertising buddy drop in yesterday. It was a lot of fun. I mentioned that it would have been kind of neat to see what the cut off part of the femur looked like. (Anyone done that?).
Then he said "Yeah, you could've brought it home and fed it to the dogs!" GACK. :eeeuw::scaredycat::sick:
 
Hahaha! Love the t-shirt.
Beautiful dog, those eyes!
Thanks for sharing. I hope your day is a good one!
A couple of female members here have posted pictures of their femoral heads.
A mix of interesting and slightly gross, JMO.
@Elsinore
 
"The pt exercise that causes it to kick in is the marching thing, sitting or standing." What exercise is that EL11?

It's a simple lifting up of the knee, as if you were marching in place. I do the standing one holding onto the kitchen island, and the sitting one perched forward in a chair, alternating knees in both cases.

It never occurred to me to get a disability card. I have opted not to have a car for the last three years, as I work at home and Uber when needed, but it would be handy to have for my boyfriend's car when we can't park close to a restaurant. The only way I could have gotten it on the same day was if I'd applied in person in Boston, and I live in central MA. I didn't even think of it until after the first surgery, and by the time I called to ask it would have taken too long to arrive by mail.
 
I am so happy to see you are doing do well, Love the shirt!
 
It's a simple lifting up of the knee, as if you were marching in place. I do the standing one holding onto the kitchen island, and the sitting one perched forward in a chair, alternating knees in both cases.

@EL11 I still can't get my knee up past about 45 degrees (I guess more accurately 135 degrees, but halfway to 90 in either case). Very frustrating... At least I don't foresee having to march anywhere in the near future, haha.
 
I simply cannot wrap my head around the idea of anyone, @Elsinore, wanting to actually see their miserable old hip junk! Before surgery kept my anxiety to a dull roar by resolutely trying NOT to view videos about the surgery or reading the more graphic description of what has been done. I recognize that it is major surgery in some part of my aging brain, that I DO know, but wanting to see those discarded parts would totally creep me out. You and others are so brave to be interested in that.
 
You are a brave guy even to look at others’ horrific photos, @JoeKnows! I am totally with you that I would seize up in horror and panic if someone were to offer to show me pictures of my old junk or, heaven forbid, want me hold anything!! The idea totally creeps me out!
 
@Barbaraj Just curious as to what ithe removed part looks like, in my mind I see it as a pristine hunk of white bone. Maybe it's best to just keep that imagery.
 
I can look at others hip parts, I find it oddly fascinating.
But...I don't want to see mine, I'd probably cry and want to give it a proper burial :bawl:
 
I did post a joke picture, then maturity took over and I removed it.
In its place I offer this to everyone in recovery mode...
[Bonesmart.org] THR Take Two, 2.5 years later
 
Last edited:
Oh boy, @Elsinore, I totally agree with keeping an image of smooth white bone in your mind and NOT getting the real thing. I suspect actual bone would be creepy puce colored and gnarly with bone spurs and ugly divots ! Keep the fantasy image firmly in your mind!
 
Oh boy, @Elsinore, I totally agree with keeping an image of smooth white bone in your mind and NOT getting the real thing. I suspect actual bone would be creepy puce colored and gnarly with bone spurs and ugly divots ! Keep the fantasy image firmly in your mind!
Well.... now that you describe it that way --- I really want to see it!
 
I'm a dodo.
I told the college where I teach part time that I will be there next Tuesday (exactly at the 3 week mark).
My boss says, so the week after Canadian Thanksgiving. I say yeah.
Canadian Thanksgiving is another week out on the weekend of Oct 7t.
I really feel ready to teach in a few days as I've been prepping lectures.
The lovely Anita says "are you nuts?"... "Take that extra week"
Now what am I gonna do? I really feel ready.
Maybe I'll go sit around my office at our mental health company next week.
Grump. Grump. Grump.
Crochety. Crochety.

Oh Yeah, Anita is no different than I in terms of getting out there.
Here she is crashing while shopping in the grocery store after her bunionectomy in 2017
[Bonesmart.org] THR Take Two, 2.5 years later
(much worse than a THR according to the doc).
 
Last edited:
Beautiful doggie @Elsinore!

As to the conversation about our creepy body parts... Here's my story. I conspicuously avoided all talk or videos about the procedure before the two surgeries and spent that energy instead finding the best most qualified hip surgeon I could so I could deposit all my faith in those skills and worry about what was being done ...later. But things seep out, here on BS and with well-meaning friends and family and all. So I'd hear bits and pieces and then quickly delete them from my memory bank so they couldn't play a role in my pre-op serenity! Especially the sawing part! And it worked really well. I went into both surgeries unusually calm and confident in the success. Both went very smoothly. Then... After surgery #1, a few posters here put up pix of their femoral heads to which I responded like most; eeeuwww, yuck, ick, body parts, gross....

Then the more sciency-driven half of my brain kicked in and said, hey, wow, that is really fascinating to see the differences between poster A and B's femoral heads! Night and day yet both had same diagnoses...

Fast forward I was pretty disappointed after surgery #1 when my OS came in with his description of the landmark event as "You did great, went very well". Period. No essay on his findings in there or relative degree of damage. Nothing. So I made the decision to ask for more for number 2 and yes, even pix. I was saying goodbye to a major body part who had taken me around the world and done so much for me!! I wanted at least a photo. Surgeons assistant then said they do videos now and he'd include that in the package. :yikes::yikes:

I was extremely hesitant to see it but once I got over the schoolgirl squeamishness .... I can tell you it's my new favorite video!! Lol. All my friends were fascinated as well. Mostly because the surgeon narrated it and showed me each problem and what the result was, it gave me a more in depth understanding of what had happened mechanically and how it manifested physically. Now my one friend asks to see it every time she comes over! Not kidding. I'm thinking of charging admission.

I'm always a bit too curious about how things work so that played a role. But for me there was nothing repellant about it. Well, maybe the teeth growing out of the backside... Hahaha! :loll:

And the only white parts are where you've gone to bone on bone, usually at the crown. That's amazing as it looks like polished ivory. I will spare you the rest.
 
Had some fun yesterday. My son took me into the city to just get away after almost 3 weeks at home. We went out to dinner - felt odd a bit pushing my walker around - but was a great meal.
Boring? Yep. but not to me.
 
Been 22 days since operation. Going into the office for a half day tomorrow to catch up with my business partner. Thursday I will work from home. Then Friday am will teach for 3.5 hours at the college.
Wish me luck!
 
Best of luck.:ok:
Please take it easy and scrooch around in that walker if you must.
All temporary!:yes:
When you get home, assume the position!:ice:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom