THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

@msart A suggestion - when you are ready to try the jeans again, get some longer legged undies. I prefer the style called boy shorts. The longer leg usually covers the scar(s) from hip replacements and prevents the rougher jean fabric from irritating newly healed skin.
 
@djklaugh ohhh that’s a great idea!! I just don’t want anything rubbing or touching it right now. It doesn’t hurt really, but I’m super cautious of my hip right now!!
 
@myglasshalffull I think y’all are right about shoulders-I have had heating pad on they when I rest. I’m trying to start using all of my upper body now-it took some time to get that this & is just going to take some time for everything to even back out. My mind knows this-but I sure do wish things would speed up a bit. Feeling sorry for myself today. I’ve had to say no to a couple outings at night, bc I’m just not ready. But oh well, I’ll get there. We will all get there, sooner or later. ❤️‍
 
My jeans are not that tight fitting and have some stretch. However my dressing comes off on Friday so I have invested in some modal soft sleep shorts. Thanks for the tip.
 
@benne68-im trying. Made me sad though, bc I really wanted to go to a couple things. But there is absolutely no way I could get dressed up, put heals on & go to these events & enjoy myself. I’d be ready to go home by the time we got there. Plus I’m super uneasy about being around crowds & parties where some will be drinking. I’m too much of a fall risk, right now.
 
Plus I’m super uneasy about being around crowds & parties where some will be drinking. I’m too much of a fall risk, right now.
If you do decide to go to any holiday celebrations, or even just out for one evening, consider bringing a cane, even if you're no longer using one. It's a clear signal to people to stay away and give you space and it may make you feel more confident if you begin feeling unsteady on your feet.

I remember one BoneSmart member that decorated a cane for a semi formal event she attended, I never saw a photo of it, but I believe she tied a bunch of long silky ribbons to it. So...you can even dress up a cane to go along with dressy clothes and heels. Fancy! :wink:
Have a great rest of the week!
 
@Layla love the cane idea. I’ll keep that in mind when I’m ready to venture out. This holiday season I’m staying close to home. I want this hip healed & to be steady on my feet when I decide to get into crowds. I do not want to do this again, if possible. This has not been my idea of fun.
 
My jeans are not that tight fitting and have some stretch. However my dressing comes off on Friday so I have invested in some modal soft sleep shorts. Thanks for the tip
You are going to enjoy putting “your regular” clothes on!! I’m hoping I’m ready soon.
 
msart
FOMO is real! Hang in there, soon you will be able to enjoy get togethers. I had been invited to a baby shower early in my recovery & was looking forward to attending even though still using walker. My GF was going to pick me up. Well night before we received a dusting of snow & decided wasn't worth the risk of slipping on snow or ice seeing that's how I fractured my hip to begin with. Later my GF told me I made right move staying home said the hall had bad stairs & snow cover.
And Layla's suggestion to use cane at social events is excellent cause it's a clear sign for people not to bang into you.
 
Today was pretty uneventful, got out this morning ran2 quick errands, napped & then I decided to clean a bit. Ugh. Positive I’ve now over done it again. Icing & elevating now. I do not know why I do this to myself at least once a week. I am just so eager to get back!! I’m sure I’ll have a good nights sleep & will be fine tomorrow. I just get frustrated with myself-because I certainly did not DO very much, however it was too much for my body now. My feet & legs are swollen & hip letting me know it’s aggravated with me. I hope this part passes soon, although many have said can last 6 months or even a year or more.
 
That sucks. Two steps forward, one step back. I understand your frustration. We want our lives back!

This place is great for venting and getting some empathy. Unless you have been there it is very hard to explain the ups and downs. The highs of a leap forward and the crash when you get a set back.

Find a good box set, ice and elevate for a day. It will be worth it
 
@Phoebie thabk you. I have had a bad night sleeping, my knee & back is now hurting badly. It’s just so aggravating. I just can’t seem to find that fine line here.
I agree-this place is wonderful for venting. Living alone, I only have my dog to vent too. I try not to burden my parents or friends with the whole logistics of it, bc honestly they don’t understand. I hope this passes quickly & I am planning on resting tomorrow even though I don’t want to.
I hope you are doing better than I am right now.❤️‍
 
Sorry to hear you are hurting. It's a fine line between moving around to keep everything working to overdoing it. We tend to think if we accomplish a few items on "to do" list than maybe we can do just a couple of more & then we pay the price of aches & pains.
I know you want to get back at life, trust me, been there & bought the tee shirt but this can be a longer recovery than we sign up for.
My guess is soon you will reach some milestones, then 6 months more & on & on until you will be back at your daily life. It's boring I know but hey the dog is a great listener & we are here too!
It's very normal to feel a little down & defeated but you had two surgeries very close together & it's going to take some time to navigate back to daily life.
Call a friend, I'm sure you have close friend that can cheer you up. I've been watching sappy Romcom Christmas movies this week. Better than all the other junk on TV!
 
The best thing about surgery this time of year is we have a lot of good dramas released on various streaming sites in the UK. Usually I don't have time to watch them but this year...... I watch an episode and then get up to walk around for a bit etc. I have also managed to almost complete my Christmas shopping online. Just a couple to go.

I live alone and when people ask how I am, I feel a pressure to reassure them I am making progress even on a bad day. And we have all come a long way from those first two weeks that were grim.

Nights are grim still. Just as well I live alone because the air is blue with curses in the wee small hours. :)
 
I had a very restless night last night, but really thought nothing of it this morning. I intended to run a couple errands, however by my first stop I wasn’t feeling good. I wasn’t sure why. A few minutes later I started feeling very lightheaded, so I decided to just go home, I wasn’t far from my house. By the time I got home, I really felt badly. All I could do was get in the bed. This has not happened that I remember. And I don’t know why I felt so bad, but I woke up 2 hours later feeling much better. I am guessing maybe I was just tired? All my days are running together here, but I know that since I have started driving this has not happened. I did text my family group chat & 2 neighbor/friends that I wasn’t feeling well and that I was otw home. I am thankful I have a good support system bc this morning kind of scared me. I feel fine now, just curious if this has happened to anyone else?
 
Is it possible you were a bit dehydrated and/or low on salt or potassium on top of poor sleep?

It's good you had a restorative nap and reached out to your local supports.
 
@mendogal -I drink a TON of water, I think I was tired & I forgot to eat this morning when taking my meds. I always eat some fruit, yogurt, something & I just forgot this am. I am not doing that again.

Hoping I sleep well tonight. But took out a benedryl just in case, bc that is what I have here!!!
 
@Phoebie I just chuckled bc I have almost finished my Christmas shopping too-lol. This is the soonest I’ve EVER had my shopping done. ✅
 
Thank goodness you made it home safely. And even better that a 2 hour nap was the answer.
My grand daughter texted me her Christmas list last night. She's 12. Most of it jewelry & requested a $50 gift card to Sephora! I tell all of the grand kids (range in ages from 24-9), they have $100 limit. My 9 year old asked for all cash! Love it!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom