THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha... still trying to pronounce the words with Jo's help...

Here is one for you @ochaye

[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
 
:) ho ho ho merry xmas to all at BONESMART. thanks to Jo and all the mods for a wonderful site

John
xxx
 
@Josephine

Jo I can walk the length of the long side of a football park without the cane...then it gets sore.posterior and cementless op

the pain is the same place where I feel the stiffness when I work leg too hard , just beside the scar , pain and stiffness ( stiffness feels like a muscle that wont stretch no further) runs about the same length as scar.

TBH I feel as though I am making progress, (but slow) like getting stronger and so on, but I also feel I am being left behind somewhat. 16 weeks on, new years eve, and I am still with the cane

am I fretting over nothing you think?

hope you had a nice xmas Dear Lady
 
reading through the pages I read a paragraph by Jo I think it was, may have been one of the mods..... it said something along the lines that the biggest problem most of the readers tend to make is underestimate the severity of the op and the recovery process required to get back to "normal"

oh boy is that ever so true
 
@ochaye I can empathise..I'm 12 weeks and still using one elbow crutch due to limp and LLD...however after reading all of this site I am now completely at ease with it....I get very, very stiff around the hip area after too much exercise or walking too much without the crutch. I'm so sure this will resolve itself....just wonder who you are behind and why is it worrying you so much.....?? I'm going to have hydrotherapy in the New Year but can do so muc more now I haven't got that awful pain....I know I'm in for the long haul, I'm retired so no rush back to work..just gonna go at my hips pace.........hey can you not do that too John.....? You have a truly fab sense of humour and I'm sure that will see you through....I'll bet you in 3 months time we will all be at the same point. Hope you have a fab new year...cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
thanks Chrissie.....must be my age :shrug:

regarding my age, it'll soon be my birthday again and the thing about having a birthday so close to xmas is that Santa scribbles on all the pressies..." this is for your birthday too" :boohoo:

BTW this year Santa brought me a lovely Mother of pearl pill box....for my Viagra

jus' kiddin' :wink:

all the best for the new year
 
Well if it's your age then I'm definitely past it at nearly 62! Well I officially become an OAP in March , can't wait... To get my old age pension!! Viagra..in a mother of pearl pill box..how posh are you...hubby keeps his in a plastic pot! Only kidding !! My darling granddaughter, Emily was 15 on Xmas eve..she just loves having her birthday so close to Xmas day..she feels special.........do you feel that way?.. Have a fab New a Year....I'm hoping the Lagavulin malt whisky will ease the stiffness in my hip.....or i won't feel it anyway. Bonus!! Here's to a pain free, crutch free. 2014 for us all. Take care..Chrissie xx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Jo I can walk the length of the long side of a football park without the cane...then it gets sore. posterior and cementless op
Then don't walk that far!
the pain is the same place where I feel the stiffness when I work leg too hard , just beside the scar , pain and stiffness
Truth of it is that some people's wounds do take longer than average to get back to normal. Also that these same people also tend to try and resolve these issues by doing more exercises and more walking. But more is always less in these situations and the result is inevitably more issues and less progress.
16 weeks on, new years eve, and I am still with the cane
Not a problem. In fact, if I may quote my old nan, it's a case of mind over matter - if you don't mind then it won't matter!
am I fretting over nothing you think?
Quite probably and almost certainly!
 
"Then don't walk that far!" :)

LOL Dear Jo you remind me of our very own Tommy Cooper........

Cooper: "Doctor,when I hold my arm above my head like this it hurts!"
Doc: "well don't do it then"

goodnight Jo Dear xxx
 
Please don't worry about where you are in your recovery John. Your own situation including how long you limped around pre-op, how much your muscles atrophied and your own body's reaction to the trauma of surgery with impact your recovery. My recovery from THR took over 12 months. Just keep trying. What seems impossible one day is very easy the next.
 
many thanks for your reply Jay.....what you say makes perfect sense...I guess I limped around for something like 8 years before I took the plunge.my rheumy and I were trying to get the timing right.in retrospect I should have had it done years ago. I widnae have been so crabbit* all these years :)

*google it. Scottish slang
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
bottomshollow
 
is it possible to change my signature myself....? it should read 10th Sep 2013... 16 weeks today :)

happy new year to all you lovely people

XXX

John
 
A wise member told me very early in my recovery @ochaye, that my recovery was going to be a marathon and not a sprint - he was so right and his words have stayed with me to this day 2 + years post when I overdo it..

Slow and steady my Scottish friend :)
 
happy new year tae yeh Poppet :)

my sister is due back to Scotland from Oz in less than a week.....man is she gonna be depressed wae the weather :)
 
Yes she will, @ochaye, tell her to be careful of the rapid change in climate and make sure she layers the clothes back on :)
 
hope everybuddy had a guid new year....

when out walking recently I tried a little experiment I read of here in BONESMART......I carried my cane and walked briskly for 50 paces , next day 75 paces/steps and today 100,always stopping before the pain sets in.

my wife was with me today and I asked her to check my gait/limp....she said it was only slight, so all is well I guess

yep folks, BONESMART is right, it IS a marathon not a sprint

I am gonna have to re-educate my body/gait as I have been carrying this OA limp for many years and developed some bad habits .I admire the USA folks who say they were sent to PT the week following their op...here in Scotland I was told when the op was over and I was discharged..."right, we will see you in 7 weeks then, cheerio son"

don't get me wrong ,it's not that I am not grateful, but a follow up session of PT for a few weeks could have worked wonders.

off topic here but I just gotta tell SOMEONE........as some of you good folk may know I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis (OS says this is likely how I got the OA in my hips) well Crohns disease and ank spon are bedfellows so I am scheduled for a COLONOSCOPY! for Fri morn...Noooooooooooooooo

as I type it is 7pm and I have eaten my last, until fri after the ......"procedure." I have litres and litres of special fluids to drink that will flush my system out leaving a nice clean colon for the snap happy Doctors.
I have heard that the patient can be turned towards the monitors/big screen so that they can see their insides and watch the procedure as it unfolds (popcorn and cola can be provided at the patients own cost) :)

well I am quite proud that I stayed totally awake for my THR but I have no wish whatsoever of wanting to look up my own ar*e...
LOL I think I am due a break this year.

all the best
John
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom