THR THR June 23 Dropped like a hot potato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best day so far! I watched my nephew for 7 hours. So not alot of sitting. Also took him to Chuck e Cheese, which is basically a small child's arcade/restaurant. Only thing that bothered my hip was the plastic seating. Pushed myself to take my nightly walk. Wasn't so much that I was hurting, I was just so tired. Now it's time for bed and I'm wide awake!
 
Not sure anyone will see this but I have a question. Tonight I was so excited that my sister called that I forgot about my new hip and laid on my stomach in the bed. Not quite a jump, kind of like a tree falling....lol. It didn't hurt bad but feels like I stretched my incision. Is it ok to lay on my stomach? I have looked online for an answer but can't find one. I had the anterior thr.
 
I had anterior approach, and was lying on my stomach for PT starting four or more weeks ago.

I wouldn't recommend the bed flop though....:swoon:
 
Hi @Shhh must admit I have never layed on my tummy.. but I can imagine that what you are experiencing is soft tissue stretching around your incision.. keep an eye on your pain levels, I am sure you are ok..

You may like yo read the following information... :)

The first is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate healing timeframes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.
 
I lay on my front a fair few times just to take pressure of ma glutes

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi, I'm at 4weeks anterior bilateral and tried lying face down on the bed for the first time at the weekend, it felt similar to how you described it so I'm putting it down to soft tissue stretching. Felt good to be able to do it though.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you for replying. Yes @Poppet, I think it caused soft tissue stretching which I guess is not a bad thing if you are in pt sessions! :) like @agileHippie!
I need to eat more brussel sprouts! I read your nutrition articles at 4 weeks but need to read again. I do believe we help our bodies by what we eat.
Thanks everyone for answering. You have helped put my mind at ease. Not sure how it happens that for an instant we can forget we had a thr!
 
Easily done I squared right down when pooch hurt her paw, suddenly thought oooer well past 90

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Feeling better every day. I am taking walks, exercising and peddling with minimal pain in my leg. I can also roll over onto my stomach, which was nice last week on the pool float. My backside finally felt the warmth of the sun! I still have day's when I hurt but now it is coming from my left hip! I am using my right leg more than my left. Today, I hiked half way up a steep hill but my non operated hip locked up on me, or something. I couldn't move for a moment. I don't remember that happening with my right hip before having the thr. I walked back down and just walked on level ground. Getting back in the car my back and non operated leg hurt. I made the decision right then to stop being so indecisive about having the surgery and just do it! I have always been butt backwards.....guess I should go to the pre operative side of the forums, so I can write down everything I missed learning last time! Can anyone say stool softeners? :)
 
I hiked half way up a steep hill but my non operated hip locked up on me, or something. I couldn't move for a moment.
I had this pre - LTHR. Definitely sounds like it's time for that one to go. From my experience getting THR done early is a much easier recovery.

I look forward to following your pre-op thread!
 
I am so happy with my new hip! I have a date November 10th, for my left hip to go!
 
Great to hear this @Shhh ! Soon you will be truly bionic!
 
I am sure anyone will see this. I havent posted in a while because of life. That and the fact that my hip has been healing so well that I forget that it's a replacement. There are times that I twist the wrong way and am reminfed though!
I am less than a week away from hip number two. I have a question. Am I past the point of being allowed to shave my legs? I forgot what they told me last time! Lol. Can't believe of all things I am thinking about shaving!!!!
 
Am I past the point of being allowed to shave my legs?
Welcome back and congrats on going for number 2 THR! If they gave you instructions not to shave within a certain period with the first hip I am certain those instruction will apply now.

You can probably shave but you risk a nick or cut that may indeed postpone your surgery. If it were me I would not risk it. I figure no one in the hospital will be the least bit worried about unshaved legs. :heehee:
 
It is "No Shave November" for men, you can show your support by not shaving your legs. No Shave November is to bring attention to prostate cancer, and other cancers effecting men.
 
That will be my excuse for not shaving pumpkin! I will show my support! Jaycee, I was told not to shave in the pre op class at the joint center but that was with hip number one. They didn't make me do the class again but now I think maybe I should have. I believe it may have been two weeks. The nurse said that every time we shave, we are creating tiny holes in the skin whete infection can start. Funny that I remember that but not the length of time. I will remember that with the pain meds I will take stool softners twice a day!!!!!!
 
Oh how I wish I could go back to November 10th. Would things have went differently if I would have been able to be quiet in rhe recovery area?
I remember coming to and trying to move my leg but it wouldn't move. I remember a nurse asking if I was in pain. I remember yelling that I didn't want morphine. What I should have said is morphine or anything above morphine.
I surely did not wake up all peaches and cream this time.
My husband didn't recognize the foul mouthed, negative woman who took my place after given Fenatyl. Coming in and out of it most of the morning. Looking at people and not trusting them to take care of We had asked for a bedside commode because of what happened last time with the nurse waiting to get me up to use the bathroom. Well, the bedside commode wasn't bedside and in my mind if I took one step over to it, I could make it. I had pushed the nurses button but when no one came, I couldn't wait.......I should have taken that 900cc (yes, thats how much I was holding AGAIN!) and threw it at them. I fell. Nurses came rushing and the only one who even cared enough to get me up off the floor instead of trying to cover their asses was an aide. Was I lucky? Yes, I didn't break anything. Was I embarrassed? Yes, I should have known better. BUT the shaming I experienced from every nurse on that floor after that was relentless. I will never go back to that hospital for any procedure again. They treated me like a three year old, even after the medication wore off. Not one nurse offered assistance, thank God for the aids!
I haven't been able to write or talk about it. My sister, who saw the "bad" bracelet as they called it wanted to take me out of there. The only concern was blamimg me and downplaying the fall. Sorry, probably not the best place to put all of this but maybe it will help someone to just pee in bed and make the nurses clean it all up, which is what I would have done had I been in my right mind! Same nurse, different month!
 
Sorry to hear of your horrible experience, my last extra night in the hospital because I needed a transfusion, was a nightmare, they took the commode away, they took the walker away. I had to call the switchboard to get help, no one answered the phone at the nurses station. I did not get up because I knew I would fall. Was almost to the point of taking the fresh water container, emptying it on the floor, and using that. Had I done that I am sure I would have ended up with the bad bracelet too. Nope I won't go back there.
Yes, this is the place to rant, you are not the only one who had a bad experience.
 
Patients have done that while waiting too long to use the restroom.One of the aides asked my husband if I had done that since I asked for fresh water in a new container. I had put my partial in it, not wanting to hear another word about falling.
It definitely doesnt always go as planned. The nurses do not need to add to the misery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom