THR THR June 23 Dropped like a hot potato

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 7 weeks and I think I am doing ok. Getting stronger. Doing more walking and driving. Getting in the pool and exercising. Taking 1/2 oxycodone twice a day along with mobic for bursitis.
I go along doing ok (in my mind) and then read on fb that someone who had a replacement after mine is walking a mile a day. So, I start doing this....didn't last long. I took a walk in the park because it has mile markers. Straight up a hill I went. No pain. Oh so proud of myself for doing so well! Not listening to my husband because he sounded like he was just hindering my progress. Sure hope when he gets home from work he doesn't say those dreaded words " I told you so!".
I have pain every time I walk! Took 1/2 oxycodone, mobic and tried to pick tomatoes in my garden and hardly made it back to the house! It's only 30 ft. or so!
Some people like me, just have to learn the hard way! Maybe, other's can read where I am missing out on a day of recovery and enjoying life and not over do things! Was going to go out tonight and buy supplies for my hobby (upcycling old furniture) but can't do that either! Wahhh! All over a walk up a hill!
 
Ugh! So sorry about the bursitis and other pain!

One of the little nuggets of wisdom I've seen here is to only walk about half as far as you think you can. If that doesn't hurt, then try a *little* more the next time. Give yourself more of a break! You've been through a lot!:console2:
 
Hi @Shhh and @agileHippie. ..I did the same thing yesterday. I am just over 8 weeks, took the dog for a walk to the park for the first time, fine on way there but....the right leg thigh pain suddenly started, probably the bursa, then a pain and stinging started behind the incision, I ended up limping and had to walk really slowly on the way back, I walked about 3 quarters of a mile. I too had to take pain relief and morphine. Was in a lot if pain, so today, I did nothing at all. I am seeing my OS tomorrow about my bursitis and the buttock muscle throbbing, made worse by my little walk yesterday, I need to know what I should be doing about it.

So we have all learnt the lesson of do a little, before building it up to a lot. It must be the one long continuous walk that triggers the pain. As I do walk about 2 miles during the day , but not all at once...

@Shhh how are you dealing with your bursitis and how is it now, after the events of the walk? X
 
Hi @Suzette, are we twins? Lol. The bursitis was seemingly getting better with the stretching and anti inflammatory (mobic) but right now I am having pain on the outside of thigh, by the incision, well let's just say my whole upper region. Ugh! My husband wants to go to the Ortho. urgent care for xray but I really think I pulled a muscle or just walked too much. I have pain while walking. If I see no change tomorrow after resting, icing and elevating, I will call my OS.
If you could share any information you get from your OS, I would so appreciate it as we seem to be having the same pains. I am sorry I don't have any other solutions. Except for what we have been reading in here......patience.:walking:
 
Hi a twin , nice thought, lol..?i wish I too had patience....

My whole thigh aches too, reckon it was from the walk . So I will let you know what I find out. Funny though mine stings more than normal today, it doesn't normally sting this bad.

My appointment is 15.30 but he has added me on as an extra so I expect I will have a long wait sitting on really awful plastic chairs. Not sure what time difference we have. It's 12.20 am here

I will let you know ASAP though.
 
Oh, no rush. It is 7:50 p.m here. Early eve. Suzette I have been bringing a chair pillow with me. I just leave it in the car. I would rather people look at me weird than sit on metal or plastic chairs! I hope you get relief! Maybe we are just going through healing pains!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought of taking a pillow, I will do that. I too hope a lot of this will be the normal healing pains .fingers crossed
 
Ugh! So sorry about the bursitis and other pain!

One of the little nuggets of wisdom I've seen here is to only walk about half as far as you think you can. If that doesn't hurt, then try a *little* more the next time. Give yourself more of a break! You've been through a lot!:console2:
@agileHippie That is great advice about walking about half as far as you think you can.I wish I had done that with my first hip but will be sure to do it with my next one.
 
@Suzette sorry to hear that you are in pain and I hope your appointment goes well this afternoon. @Shhh I hope the rest has helped and you are in less pain this morning.
 
@Shhh well no further forward with the buttock throb and upper thigh pain. The OS is happy with everything and it's all normal healing pain, I assume. So that's that then. I have booked acupuncture and tissue massage as he said a lot of the pain is from deep tissue adhesions that may respond quicker to the massage.

no mention of the bursitis etc or whether that has any bearing on anything. So will now just get on with it myself.

Let me know how your pain is now and what you decide to do
 
I was in pain most of the night so I iced, elevated in bed and took pain med at about 3 in the morning. Didn't sleep well but woke up able to bear weight and felt better throughout the day. So, just going to do normal pool exercises and walk on even pavement for awhile. I also think I should walk half as far as I think I can. That scared me!
Hope you are recovering from your walk Suzette!
 
I also think I should walk half as far as I think I can.
I always advise members to do this. Unfortunately it's easy to forget that you have the distance back to deal with as well. Stop pushing yourself and ease off on the activity. Your hip is trying to tell you something here!
 
I have booked acupuncture and tissue massage as he said a lot of the pain is from deep tissue adhesions that may respond quicker to the massage.
You know, this is like one of those old wives' tales that people come out with rather than admit they don't know something! It's absolute rubbish! a) if it was 'scar tissue' massage wouldn't impact on it at all and b) a lot of this pain is due to inflammatory conditions which are very effectively dealt with by massage. I have numerous times suggested people go see a chiropractor who practice deep massage which is ideal for it.

As for acupuncture, it's more of a placebo effect in my opinion.
 
@Josephine yes the chiropractor is going to perform deep tissue massage on what he , the OS, called scar tissue. Obviously then its inflammation. As long as the deep tissue massage works on my thigh I will be happy. If acupuncture doesnt do anything wont try it again.
I did feel the OS wasnt bothered at all with the constant thigh and buttock pain. He was just delighted with the fact there were no infections and the implant was ok.
Fingers crossed the chiropractor helps
 
Hi @Shhh I too had a terrible night. Constantly waking up in pain. I keep ending up on my sides. Have now bought a huge bolster pillow that I intend to put between my legs all the way to my feet, in the hope the top leg and hip is supported and a soft mattress topper, so my other hip has a bit of nice soft stuff rather than our new mattress that feels like a rock. The idea I have is I will sleep on my side on purpose but try and stop any discomfort by being comfy to start with. Thats the one problem with bilateral hip op. I dont have an unoperated one to lie on.

The bolster pillow is nearly as big as me, so my hubby will have to sleep on the edge of the bed ..whoops.

Think he will be ok with that as long as I dont constantly moan the next day !!
 
If acupuncture doesn't do anything wont try it again.
I have had acupuncture many times for lower back issues and for me it did work. There are several types and every person reacts differently. Let us know how it goes!
 
Thanks @Jaycey, I will let you know how it goes. I also have the lower back problems and now,I also keep cricking my neck and so have neck and shoulder ache. So I am hoping it does work. I had it ages ago for my neck and I was amazed it did work then so lets hope it does it again. Xx
 
I did feel the OS wasn't bothered at all with the constant thigh and buttock pain.
Well, you know, this is just how they tend to think. Any aftermaths in the form of these odd aches are GP territory so far as he is concerned. If the GP decides it might be something outside the 'soft tissue issues' arena, then he refers you back to the surgeon.

I also have the lower back problems and neck and shoulder ache.
I have all of those as well and my chiro sorts them all out. Head to toe therapy - the genius all rounder!
 
@Josephine, yes you are right, have now realised so I have Gp appt thursday so hopefully sone joy there, but I seriously can not wait to see the chiropractor on friday 11.30am:happydance:
@Shhh how are you today? have you recovered from your walk yet. I am not too bad today. Phew x
 
@Suzette, I am feeling better. So glad you are! Was thinking of you earlier today. Isn't it funny how you can be on a forum and think of other's and have well wishes for them without meeting?
I still have numbness and am afraid to let my husband or dog touch my leg because if it is pressed down on, it hurts. Other than that, I am just trying to remember not to turn certain ways. Have been doing the pool exercises and short walks again.
I am not looking forward to another surgery and my husband said that he can tell I'm more anxious now than with the first one. I just know that when I see my OS next month, I could possibly have surgery two to three weeks later. Still can't believe my left hip now hurts as much if not more than my right. It is helpful though to know after walks that my hips and legs hurt in the same place....it just means my right one is hurting from healing taking place instead of arthritis!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom