THR THR June 23 Dropped like a hot potato

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal that is a beautiful way to describe the tears. If you don't mind I am going to steal that thought. One of my best friends was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer Friday and I am devastated, we are both crying rivers of tears. Her grateful heart will be that treatment is starting soon after her third biopsy this week. Thank you for the beautiful feeling put into words.
 
Yes, I am fine. Think I may have over done it yesterday because tonight I have pain in my outer leg. It isn't discriminating either as I have it weather I am sitting, laying or doing the exercises. Scared to call my ortho. doctor and ask for norco, since I already called last week to ask for something non narcotic. I am taking norco I had left from before my surgery because it works for me and with less side effects than the oxycodone but am running low now, so taking half pills of the lowest dose. Ugh. Back to icing. Wish I could try a hot bath. I will probably cry when I can bathe instead of shower too...lol.
I felt so good this morning! I felt a sense of accomplishment just by going shopping. Plus I was contributing and everything wasn't being put on my husband.

So sorry about your friend donor. I have been thinking alot about my sister through this surgery because she went through so much more. She told me while she was sick with cancer that I needed to go and do something about my hip. That was 4 years ago! I understand crying rivers of tears. Let them fall! Especially when you are with your friend. Too many friends tried to be strong and unemotional while with my sister and it didn't help her. Your friend is lucky because it sounds like you will be there for her through her journey.
 
Hi, I had and still have that pain in the outer thigh. As soon as I get it, I stop doing so much walking about and rest it. I think it's post op pain on top of doing a bit too much. I have back up oromorph, that I take only when nothing else helps. So you could ask for the norco as a back up medication. It would be worth you giving them a call, as it's no good being in pain it just makes you feel fed up and depressed.

good luck...p's I only went shopping on my own last week , end of week 5. I had to spend the following day doing nothing at all as the pain kicked in again. I had done too much too, it had settled again after a day or 2.
 
I cried a lot, too, after doing familiar things again alone, without pain. It's your grateful heart coming out of your eyes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I know exactly what you mean about the grateful heart tears.I was the same every time I was able to do something that I couldn't do before the op.I remember the tears of gratitude I had the first time I was able to walk on the beach again instead of looking at it from a seat.I am now back on the seat thanks to the other hip but I look forward to feeling those emotions again.
 
Only one who has been there understand those grateful heart tears. Believe me, there are times I'm sitting in the bathtub and they just flow. No rhyme or reason, just the thankfulness that I'm not in hip pain any longer. Funny thing is, it takes something like THR to make us realize how blessed we all are! We may not get what we want in life, but we always get what we need.

:angel:
 
I agree @beachgal we are blessed by this wonderful surgery which can give us our lives back.We are very fortunate indeed.The other thing I am grateful for is for the first time in my life I have learnt the art of patience.
 
Ahh Patience. ..if I had it with myself as much as I give it to others, maybe I could relax.
I am a bit worried, maybe anxious. I think I have bursitis again. I prayed before surgery that the hip being replaced would take care of this. Five years ago I went to pt and the second visit the therapist told me that I had bursitis so bad that there was no way she wanted to proceed with strength exercises. The very same pain is back. Nothing is helping. I took half an oxycodone before bed and here it is 2 hours later, I am still having pain. Have tried icing the area, as this is what the pt suggested years ago. I really don't know what to do. My husband is worried that I am taking the oxycodone again, as am I.
I have my 6 week check up Wednesday and will be asking about this pain. Hoping and praying it is just from surgery. I only did one set of exercises today. I took my dog for a walk for 15 minutes and drove a short distance. My outer leg just hurts and I didn't want to do anything to make it worse. Am I sounding like a broken record yet? Not sure if it's the blues from surgery or the big M! Either way, sorry!
Just one of those nights.
 
Bless you! Wish I could tell you definitively that your pain is not from the bursitis but only your dr can do that. I can assure you that you are still in the very early stages of healing and the thing to remember is that the soft tissue and muscles are deep and are going to require lots of time and care to heal. Are you still icing? That still helps me a year later. Eating healthy and drinking lots of water? Muscles need fluids! Resting? Just a full equation of things to do when you care for yourself properly after THR. It's a full-time job. Patience. And then some. Prayers.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Water! That's what is missing! I was drinking alot of water for the first four weeks because of the side effects mentioned above. I got that under control and stopped drinking water and started tea. That's really the only thing I've changed.
I really need to stop reading so many other recovery timelines and stick to my own. I hate bursitis and have had it flare up before but it will go away, if that's what it is. Taking it easy today. Going out to dinner tonight with friends so maybe it will take my mind off myself and these pains.
 
@Shhh, I noticed on you profile that you are only 48...do yourself a huge favor and please continue your water-consumption even after all the hip junk is a distant memory. Water is the single biggest factor in keeping your beautiful skin hydrated and without wrinkles. As we age, well, you know what happens. I live in the deep south and our humidity is off the charts but nothing replaces the moisture loss like hydration from within. Your muscles will thank you in your hip area and your face! Tea is not the same. Coffee, nope. Just plain old water. Nature's answer to "fountain of youth"!
:flwrysmile:
 
Beachgal, I am actually 49, almost hitting the big 50! Didn't want to put my real birthdate in a forum. Heard some news guy say that a long time ago. Anyway, yes, I see the benefits of drinking water. It is all my mom ever drinks and her skin is still glowing and not many wrinkles.
I am doing much better. Was really worried about bursitis as it's so painful but now I am fine. Expecting that the day's that I'm too active, I am also going to hurt. I read in the paperwork I was given that I am not supposed to be lifting anything and I did lift the grocery bags, putting them in the car. I will ask tomorrow. I am very tired...ahhh recovery.
 
@Shhh, it's hard to become a lady of leisure when you're used to being a workhorse, but your new hip demands your total devotion to your healthy recovery and rehab! I remember my first grocery shopping trip after my surgery, I think I had four bags. With no steps to climb, I literally took in one bag at a time. It was frustrating, frankly, but I realized that I really didn't have any reason to rush! My logic was that I was taking more steps by creating more trips to the car and back so it was fine. I gradually added more weight as I felt better but there are still days that I succumb to making more trips with less weight. Mostly, I'm just refusing to treat myself like that old workhorse anymore!
 
Sounds like you are going thru some of what I did. Water is really important. Pain has been a problem for me and I am taking the meds. Still I believe the exercises are designed to move the muscles and work out the pain. Do them when you can and slow down when you cannot. Keep positive and do not let the blues get to you. Today I am doing better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better yet. Nothing to get the Pulitzer off of but good thoughts.

The stomach is what gets rid of all the ugly things we eat. Cleaning out the diet and keeping the movements going is important. I too am a big water drinker but also gator aid or another mineral assist is needed as the body works hard to heal. I like all the positive energy here and it has been very helpful with my hell week. Maybe I can be a positive voice for a while now and someone else will feel better.

Keep up the good work.
 
Thanks all. Went to help a friend today and had to sit on a wood dining room chair. Thank God for understanding friend's letting me use their pillows! I keep forgetting mine. I forgot my cane too! Half way to her house and I thought " Well, I must be weaning myself off the cane, just like the paperwork said to do!"
 
Update..turns out I have bursitis. Blah. Not the end of the world but just annoying. Ice, mobic and stretches. Getting stronger and recovering well though! I now have more strength in my new hip than my left. Asked why I am now having so much more pain in my left hip and was told that I probably always had the pain but my mind focused on the hip with the pronounced (more) pain. So, now in the post op, pre op phase! Eek! At least I know what to expect and I have tips that came through finding this forum! Everything you all have said about my pain medication concerns were right on with what the doctor said also. Pain hinders recovery.
I have developed scar tissue and am supposed to massage the area around the incision. Any tips on what may work to break that tissue up would be appreciated.
 
Hi @Shhh I too have bursitis, its got to be a THR thing. My gp was useless as far as I am concerned. You must tell me what stretches you are doing to help as I have no idea what to do.

Also have scar tissue thats rock hard under the incisions and that is guite painful too, and numb. I keep bumping into things where my scar is. It seems my kitchen door handles are in the exact same height my incisions are. I do feel that though.

I was told to just use your fingertips to massage from the outside of the incision and to push the skin fairly firmly towards the incision in little round in circle movements . Not too hard though as I did that and it hurt and felt bruised. It does soften but then seems to go hard again. Josephine did say that its goes on its own. I was also told its the muscles healing under the incisions and have gone hard.

I found a link on this site for incision adhesions scars. Will see if I can find it again.

Good luck. I too am fed up with the extra things that seem to keep occuring x
 
Suzette, if its not painful you can do leg lifts but instead of bringing your leg 12 to 24" bring it a little higher. There is also the side leg lift. Laying on your unoperated leg and bringing the other leg up. Just make sure you are straight lengthwise if that makes sense. There are other stretches that help. I can't do them right now but you may be able to. Theres one called 4 corners, my sister showed me a long time ago. You can probably find some online too.
I was told that bursitis happens sometimes after hip replacement surgery. So, hopefully it won't be an ongoing thing, like before.
I started massaging yesterday like you described and it felt weird. Not looking forward to doing it again but also don't want pain down the road so I'll do it!
Icing the area is still important too.This followup was with the NP instead of my OS/OD and she answered alot of my questions and concerns. So I guess I am no longer feeling like I was dropped like a hot potato! Lol!
Hope things get better for you Suzette. Watch those door handles! Ouch!

I just remembered, you don't have an unoperated side Suzette! So, don't do the side leg lift!
 
Hi @Shhh thanks for your tips on stretching, I will give them ago. I find lying on both sides for more than 5 minutes start a cramp right down my legs. So I reckon I can have a go then stop as soon as the cramping starts. Have no idea what causes that. I too have that weird pain on my incisions when they go really hard, so I to will give them a bit of a massage soon.

I have my ice pack on. I am also really glad that you no longer feel like a dropped hot potato :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom