cjf1222
member
- Joined
- Oct 1, 2013
- Messages
- 171
- Age
- 78
- Location
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
United StatesThank you for the compliment on my cat! I have her sister, too. She's almost completely black.@Satsu I totally agree with Jamie that you are under medicated for pain so close to surgery. No wonder you've been in so much pain! Please talk to your OS about it. Your cat is Beautiful!
So, today, when I left the message for my OS that I needed a new prescription, I was asked by his "assistant" if I had been doing PT yet, I told her that I just heard from PT on Friday and she left a message, while I was in the double appointment at VA. I called the PT right back and left a message for her, but haven't heard back from her yet. She went on a tirade about how I should have had several PT visits by now, and that I was going to ruin the new Knee, and cause the surgery to fail, etc. I told her that I hadn't even been contacted by the PT until last Friday and today is only Monday. She didn't listen to anything I said because she was too busy scolding me like a small child. Then, she started to go off about the Warfarin/Lovenox issue again, and I told her "uh, uh". You talk directly to this person at the VA about that. Then I went in for the finger stick for the INR(?) level, at the VA, told him what the OS' assistant said, and he laughed and said he'd be ready for her call. (BTW, my INR level is still too low? He told me to stay on the Lovenox for another week, and he's temporarily changed my dosage of Warfarin, hoping that by this Friday, my INR level will be where it needs to be) I was in so much pain and so bewildered at this point, I just had my son help me into the car and cried all the way home. Tonight was better though, because once I got the medicine on board, I started to feel a lot better. (I just hope it lasts through the night.)They will say hydromorphone and oxycodone but they are the same drug. Dilaudid and oxycontin are manufacturer's names.
It's totally inhuman of them to try and scare you off like that. Take what you need as per the prescription on the box. You won't OD and you won't die!
So what does it say on the box>
Not in this lifetime! If they think anything remotely like this is a problem, they'd first call in your knee surgeon and he would make that decision.
Those prefilled syringes are just blood thinners which your discharging physician should have made sure you took home with you. It's routine therapy so don't worry about it.
Yes, I did see your post, and I acted on it today by asking my OS for a refill on my pain meds. There were other exchanges that took place today between my OS' office and the VA which I've posted in response to another question.I have merged your latest thread into your recovery thread. Please don't start new threads when providing updates or asking questions regarding your recovery. We need the continuity of your whole recovery journey in order to accurately provide advice to you.
In my last post, I talked about your meds and the fact that I believe you are undermedicated for your pain. Did you have a change to review that post? It's directly above your post.....
I think you're going to continue to have pain and swelling issues until you get this resolved.
No. The spasms are in my knees themselves. I find that when I have to bend my knee in flexion (to the back), like I have to lift it over a cord, a change in flooring, etc., that's what triggers it. Why it is happening in the middle of my sleep every night, I don't know. I'm thinking about getting one of those "knee stabilizer" wraps that goes from upper thigh to ankle, and has the metal bars in it, just to sleep in so my leg can't get it that position while I'm sleeping.Do you get the spasms in your hamstrings (back of the thigh) when you try to bend too far? I did at times. You have to be careful and listen to those muscles and the knee. Especially early after surgery those muscles can be sensitive.
United States
United Kingdom
Utter cobblers*, of course.She went on a tirade about how I should have had several PT visits by now, and that I was going to ruin the new Knee, and cause the surgery to fail, etc.
United StatesPrior to my two back surgeries, when I had synovial cysts squeezing my spinal cord, I experienced unGodly muscles spasms in my quadriceps and calves. They were stronger than anything I have ver felt before in my life. They usually occurred in the middle of the night and they caused me leap out of bed, screaming in pain. I could actually see the muscles twisting and contracting. The only way to stop them would be to grip the muscle as tightly as possible and squeeze to break the contraction. I usually ended up with bruises from my husband's fingerprints. The episodes lasted about 40 minutes and resulted in my entire family being awoken to my screams, me twisting on the floor, with my head under the bed, and my legs crawling up the walls. I am not kidding. Do you mean those type of muscle cramps? Because they kept occurring, I went to my doctor and requested an MRI - I knew something was seriously wrong with me. I was right.Further question about the "crazy" legs syndrome -- has anyone gotten this in the back of your thigh, knee or lower leg? These are the ones that throw my legs into the Charlie Horses and cause me to scream. It hurts so very, very bad! Has anyone dealt with this in physical therapy?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about, only your spasms lasted a lot longer than mine. (My total sympathy!) I had the longer-lasting spasms only when I was in basic training in the Air Force. I woke everyone in my flight screaming. The girls would take turns squeezing, pulling, massaging, and punching my muscles to stop the spasms. I'm sure they all hated me by the time we graduated! This time, though, I'm quite sure that these spasms have something to do with my recent TKR. I can see the muscles jumping and cramping and my whole leg starts moving in contorted ways. This just started since I had the TKR and it's a real screamer. I know how much this hurts me, and it only lasts a couple of minutes. I am very, very sorry that you had to endure this type of pain for so long. I'm so glad to hear you got it fixed!Prior to my two back surgeries, when I had synovial cysts squeezing my spinal cord, I experienced unGodly muscles spasms in my quadriceps and calves. They were stronger than anything I have ver felt before in my life. They usually occurred in the middle of the night and they caused me leap out of bed, screaming in pain. I could actually see the muscles twisting and contracting. The only way to stop them would be to grip the muscle as tightly as possible and squeeze to break the contraction. I usually ended up with bruises from my husband's fingerprints. The episodes lasted about 40 minutes and resulted in my entire family being awoken to my screams, me twisting on the floor, with my head under the bed, and my legs crawling up the walls. I am not kidding. Do you mean those type of muscle cramps? Because they kept occurring, I went to my doctor and requested an MRI - I knew something was seriously wrong with me. I was right.
Thank you for asking, Jane. Things are getting better one day at a time. The PT came for the first time this morning, and that went okay. I think I'm gaining a better understanding of how the pain meds work with my system -- how long they will last, and just how much pain relief I can expect.How are your days, Satsu? I know you have nerve jangling issues (it's always something) but are you a little more comfortable and getting a routine down?
I'm most uncomfortable in the evenings before I go to sleep. Don't know why.
Take care.
Thank you for your prayers. I hope that nobody else ever has to go through this surgery in such a disorganized manner. It's scary, and painful enough, without being confusing, too.I think evenings are the worst because of all the things we do all day compiled together.
@Satsu I have read your journey and I am appalled at your treatment. I hope things are finally looking up for you. You deserve so much better than you have received. I pray things continue to improve.
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
No real setbacks, just impatient want it better faster. My flexion is 95 currently and extension is -9. I am finding straightening much harder than bending. Overall feeling pretty good, but a bit lonely and bored.Thank you for your prayers. I hope that nobody else ever has to go through this surgery in such a disorganized manner. It's scary, and painful enough, without being confusing, too.
I see that you are two weeks ahead of me in this process... how are you feeling? Any milestones? Setbacks