TKR This has been the worst, most painful, most careless surgery ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Deb. I appreciate you sharing with me.

Satsu, you didn't say what your flexion is, or did I miss it? Can you easily go up and down stairs? Are you able to go around on a stationary bike?

My surgery was Sept. 10th. My flexion is pretty good, at least I am pleased with it. I've only had it measured once and it was around 110-115, if I remember correctly. It goes back down if I have a swollen knee. My extension is my problem, and I work on it all the time.

Some people have been happy with their MUA, and others have not. I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion.

Hi @Satsu
I am just 6 weeks out. My ROM is around an uncomfortable 95. My extension isn't great. Went to the os and they are talking to me about MUA. I told her no. I want the 3 weeks to work on it. I go back to see them then. We will decide then if I will do it or not. I'm not scared to do it. I just don't want to if I can do it myself. What ever you decide will be fine.
Dana

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I had issues with adhesions after my BTKR---I dealt with them myself---but I can tell you that it is still very early in your recovery to worry about an MUA.
'm not scared to do it. I just don't want to if I can do it myself. What ever you decide will be fine.

I like that attitude. Sometimes, despite all things, an MUA is needed---it may not be wanted, but it is just another step that will be taken to get the normal life back.

My OS told me that a new study shows ROM can still increase (or "can take", depending on how you look at it) for up to two years.

Then he told me that I only have a 3 month window to get my flexion back, or my leg will be stuck as it is, permanently.
Not at all true!! Be tough and keep the faith, so to speak---do not listen to him.

He then proceeded to bend my leg and try to slowly force the 90 degrees. After the 4th time, I started vomiting.

Do not let anybody push you or force you to do something that is painful. All stretches or exercises should be taken to the point of discomfort and no further!

It is your knee and your life---they cannot force you to do anything.

The PT works for you, not vice versa---so you make sure that you lay down some ground rules as to what you will do and not do.

My OS told me that a new study shows ROM can still increase (or "can take", depending on how you look at it) for up to two years.
I am not sure why some of these PT folks are in such a hurry and are propagating untruths.

Patience and time---along with gentling working the knee, are what is needed.

Jane, my flexion, before stretching things out again, is at about 60. I can do stairs, one foot at a time -- so no, stairs are not my friend. I cannot go all the way around on the stationary bike -- I can get to about 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, rocking. On my little peddler at home, if I move it far away from me, I can get all the way around. I got my knee to 90 (with great difficulty) after an hour of PT, but I lost it almost immediately. My extension is about 4.

Celle, you're two days behind me in your Left TKR. Where are you at with movement of that knee? I need a reference point.

@Satsu
There is no typical ROM at this stage, so please don't compare your knee with anyone else's knee. Every knee is different. We tell people time and again not to compare knees.
No one else but you had the particular circumstances that your knee had, so your own recovery will be different. Your knee will progress at its own speed.

I'm having an unusually fast recovery, probably because I had my TKR done before I lost any muscle strength and before I developed any distortion of ligaments and tendons.

Incidentally, I have had no PT at all. I just do a few gentle exercises at home. Walking is the best exercise of all.

I'd think with doing an hour of PT at a time you're making the knee more angry and inflamed.

Hi @ Satsu
Yes all of our knees heal so differently. There are people at pt that are way ahead of me and some that aren't. I get a little down on myself thinking I should be further along. I do stop myself tho. I had a lot of damage in there and the healing will be what it is along with my flexion and extension. I just have to be patient with my body.
Dana

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I get a little down on myself thinking I should be further along.
We are all uniquely different--hence, our recovery schedule and the time that it take to heal is different, too. When we compare out selves to others, we set ourselves up for frustration.

Just keep on keepin' on!

I read your posts a couple of days after I got home. I did develop an infection, and spent 10 days in the hospital in a unit below ICU. Everyone is different and respond differently to pain. I have no tolerance for pain and a high tolerance for pain medicine, don't let a doctor scare you into thinking you will become addicted to the dilaudid. I hope you are doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back