Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

:doh:I’m so sorry. Maybe in time it will sort itself out.
I didn't just have 2 total knee replacements so that I could wear a hinged knee brace for the remainder of my life.
I agree!
 
@jboles I have been lurking around reading others posts for a few months now and never posted anything.I had a RTKR 2 weeks before you this year and my other knee is going to be done next month.My surgery went very well (good ROM and not that much pain).But that being said I have had many issues i.e. non surgical leg and foot swelling up,calf swollen on operated leg and not being able to fully extend it,quad muscles weak and affecting balance,still using a cane outside and still not able to go up and down stairs normally.You get the idea.On the other hand six months ago I couldn't stand for any length of time,could barely walk to the car and was in considerable pain.

I am also very overweight and out of shape.I have decided that I am going to just concentrate on losing weight and getting in better shape.And I know I am starting over again next month but I am so sick to death about thinking about my knees so much.From now on I am going to concentrate on my goals and live my life and consider my knees just passengers along for the ride.I hope this makes sense to you.

I think you should not be so hard on yourself.You have been through alot in a year.I hope that things start to get better for you in the near future.



P.S. I didn't check for grammar and spelling in case I changed my mind about posting.
 
Last edited:
@Nigella2 Thank you for the post. Yes it does make sense to me about being sick of these knees being front and center in everything we do. I too need to loose weight and just get in overall better shape. Easier said than done though. Even with all my aches and problems I'm also in better shape than I was last July, as far as knees go. My 6 month old knee still gives me a few aches and pains, but my 1 year old knee is good. I can get up from low toilets, and low sofas again. I can stand and cook dinner without having to sit down on a stool halfway through. And I'm trying some new exercises that are supposed to strengthen the hip muscles. I'm hoping this will improve my balance, because I would love to be able to give up the cane.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully
Can anyone tell me if my right leg is straight? @Josephine
 
Last edited:
I just returned from my 1 year for the 6 month for the right doctor visit. It went pretty much the way I assumed it would. The left knee is good. No problems. 130 bend and 0 extension. The right one 125 bend and 0 extension, but that's where it starts to go downhill. They took full length xrays of both legs to compare, and sure enough, the right one is off by 4 to 5 degrees compared to the left leg.

The OS admitted it, though he did say that he has seen many people with the same degree and it never bothers them in their daily lives. However, he watched me walk and he also agrees with the therapist and my back surgeon that one of the major issues is with weak hip muscles. The weak hip muscles are letting the leg rotate and causing me to have foot problems along with balance problems. He wants me to work with a physical trainer on strengthening the hip muscles and loosing weight then come back to see him in 6 months, and see where I am at that point. Joy...

My daughter asked him what would we do if at that point I could still not walk without my cane? Was going back in and revising the tibia cut an option. He said with my particular implant that's really not something he wants to consider, just yet. So it's exercise, diet and wait and see... I'm going to post a picture of my x-rays, can @Josephine or @Jamie take a look and let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

[Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully
 
Just checked back in to see if anyone has any thoughts on the x-rays I posted?
 
Josephine has been off for a few days. She’ll be back soon.
 
Oh no, we’re just kind of short handed right now and I’m not experienced enough to comment on your X-rays.
 
I'm not experienced enough either. Jo will be back soon, I hope. We all miss her.
 
@Josephine Please check out the photo and X-ray that jboles has posted, several posts back from this post. (My iPhone never shows post numbers)
Thanks!
 
Oh my giddy aunt! That's not good. But given what your surgeon has already said, there's not a lot more I can offer.
 
In your opinion, @Josephine how much is it out of alignment?

I was so upset on the day of my appointment. I had known since the day of my surgery that it just “wasn’t right”. Then the day after my appointment, I wasn’t so much sad as I was mad, really mad. This doctor has never brought up weight as an issue and now all of a sudden I need to loose weight. Yes I do need to loose weight but I weigh the same as I did when I had the surgery and it wasn’t a problem then. I know they say give it a year to let everything heal and I will. I’ll exercise to try to strengthen my muscles and loose some weight but I really feel like I’m looking at a revision.
 
:console2:Losing weight is so hard. And yes, interesting that he brings that issue up now.

I would be mad at all this, too. In fact, I have been pretty mad at my situation at times.

I did go for a second opinion, in another state. But my problem doesn’t show up on an X-ray.
 
@Jockette I’m trying very hard to stay positive and not sink into depression. When I get stressed out and depressed I want to eat. It’s my comfort...
 
@Jockette and @jboles I am so sorry we are going through this frustrating somewhat all-consuming journey. Why did I have a TKR so that I had to wear a brace, ace bandage or KT tape? Why did I have a TKR so that I would have pain, just a different kind of pain? Some days, I just want to roll over and call it a day. Other days, I am full of optimism and hope. Being able to come to BoneSmart to read others stories has helped me so much. Thank you for sharing. Also, you are not complaining, you are updating your journey.
 
somewhat all-consuming journey
It sure is!! I have my more optimistic days and other days I’m so frustrated that I went through this surgery and got the result I did. We have to keep on keeping on. :console2:
 
@jboles I can't tell that from those xrays. Partly because they don't show the entire leg and also because the photo was taken at an angle which skews everything. If you want me to assess this please give me a photo of both your legs with you wearing short shorts or panties from just below the waist and including your fee which should be bare. Also the photo should have a clear white or light coloured background and side illumination like this

[Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully
 
Back
Top Bottom