Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

I also wonder if your gait is something a good PT could work on. Maybe find one who specializes in working on gait problems. Almost every TKR patient has some back and hip issues as we re-establish our gait due to new knees. There are alignment and muscle issues to work out and for most it will correct as a consequence of regular walking and exercise.

You have a more complex problem than most, but it may still be one that can be helped by getting the different parts of your lower body to be stronger and work better together. Something to look into.
 
My issue are not as complicated as yours but I have always walked duck footed my whole life, to the point where others made fun of me. But if I tried to walk straight, it hurt my knees. Flash forward to this last month, I developed a very sharp cramping pain in my groin whenever I tried to walk more than a short distance. We were on a trip visiting our kids we hadn't seen in a year and I actually had to use a wheelchair at the Civil Rights museum in Memphis, not for my knee but for my groin. Very much by accident, I discovered that if I turned my left foot "in" (but really just straight, but it feels like I am turning it in) the cramping pain went away. So my new knee is calibrated to have my foot be straight. I have to be aware of it all the time as it doesn't feel natural, but the cramping pain reminds me. As I am walking this way, I am having hip and back pain but nothing too bad. All this to say PT for gait training an excellent idea.
 
I hear you about relearning the gait and what "straight" is in reality vs what we get used to. I know it took some focus on my part too. A good reminder for people @katchmo :thumb:
 
I truly believe this all started 4 or 5 years ago when I was coming down the steps in my living room with my arms full and my knee gave away and I fell down the steps. My big toe on my right foot got caught on the step and hyper-extended. I had a lot of pain in the toe and in the outside of the calf muscle. I thought it was just strained really bad, so I didn't go to the doctor for a week. (I know, this was my mistake) The base joint of the big toe turned black and blue and stayed swollen so I went to the doctor and had an x-ray. They said it wasn't broken, just to take it easy, they didn't give me a boot/shoe or brace to wear. Fast forward to a couple years ago, the bone on the inside of the arch in that foot started to move and was really painful at night. I go back to the doctor, now they say I have posterior tibial tendinitis and it's caused me to become flat footed and to over pronate in that foot. I've been telling all of these doctors that I have so much pain and weakness in the calf muscle (on the side of my calf). They initially said it was caused by my back, when it didn't go away after back surgery, they said it was caused by my crooked knees, now that my knees are fixed and it's still there, they are telling me it's because of my foot. I wear my orthotics all of the time. It makes it tolerable, but not completely better. My PT wanted be to use the underwater treadmill to help with my gait, but I had so much pain in my calf, because I couldn't wear my orthotics in the water, so I had to stop. I really hate feeling like I complain all the time. I have friends who are dealing with cancer, so this really seems like a minor inconvenience, but it's important to me.
 
I’m sorry about your friends who are dealing with cancer. Others having serious issues does diminish the pain we are having, nor does it make it go away.

It sounds like no one really knows what’s wrong with your foot. I understand, I have a foot problem also, and no one knows what do do with mine either.

Im thankful that right now I am in warm weather and I can wear my orthotic sandals and not freeze, like in the winter. Cold weather is very bad on my foot in many ways, both inside and out. I get tired of being asked why I’m wearing open toed sandals in the winter.
 
It's really hard to have balance when my left foot points forward and my right foot points out to the side. I look like Charlie Chaplin walking.:heehee: I'm really dating myself with that comparison, aren't I? It's really frustrating when the professionals don't know what to do.
 
I have PTT and my orthotics help, but I do have to wear them all the time or the leg aches. It sounds like you have a stubborn case or something more complicated. :console2:
 
Posterior Tibial Tendonitis--what jboles says she has.
 
@kneeper I have an indention on the lower outside area of my leg. It's been the area of pain and the ache that you spoke of, for 4 years now. I just wear the orthotics ALL OF THE TIME. I just get tired of doing it though.... but it could be worse.
 
It's my 1 year knee-versary for my left knee. I love my left knee / leg. It was so sturdy and stable from the very first time I stood on it. Oh, I had the usual aches and pains and when I went in to have the right knee done, at 6 months into the recovery on the left knee, it protested a little bit, just to let me know it wasn't completely better. I noticed a couple months ago that the left knee no longer has any pain getting up from low surfaces, I still have occasional stiffness if I keep it bent in a really bent back position for a long time, it still clanks, but I think that's to be expected, but other than that its good, really good.

It's also the 6 month knee-versary for my right knee today. As for the knee, I suppose it's okay. There has definitely been a difference between the two. I'm not sure if it's the knees though, I think it's the ankle/tendon problem. Even wearing my custom orthotics all day, every day, it still turns out so bad. I tried to up my walking, but that's causing problems. It's now pulling on the tendon on the inside of my knee, causing pain in that area. But to make matters worse, my lower right leg is starting to turn out. My husband kept telling me to just give it time. Finally, during a major melt-down last month, he actually agreed with me, that he could see that my leg wasn't straight any longer, and that maybe it was time I went back to the doctor. My OS has set an appointment with a foot/ankle OS specialist to see what he thinks. I so don't want to even think about another surgery. I guess I'll know more after next Monday. Why can't things just be easy???

Well, that's my recovery to date. I hope everyone is having a good summer.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your leg problems. Please let us know what you find out Monday.
 
I’m also concerned. You’ve been impossibly patient and tried whatever was suggested. I hope the foot and ankle surgeon has some answers for you.
 
Me too Susie. I don't feel like I've been patient, I feel like I complain all the time...
 
You are not complaining, you are reporting. There’s a difference. :console2:
 
Jan, happy knee-versary. I am so sorry you are having problems with your ankle and foot. Hopefully you'll find out something soon that will be of help. To me, you haven't complained at all. You have kept us up to date, even if the news wasn't great. We're all behind you as you try to get answers. And I doubt that there is anyone on this forum who can handle this as well as you can. You are one tough lady! Please let us know how it goes.
 
Thanks @Jockette for your kind words and hug. I know you truly understand about not having the outcome that you wanted to have. I hope your knee is improving. I've been so busy with work that I haven't been on here in a while.

@MSgirl Good to hear from you. I hope you're doing well. I will post about my appointment next week, good or bad...
 
The appointment with the foot/ankle orthopedic specialist was a total waste of my time. Like I told my OS and also told the new doctor, my foot/ankle no longer hurts, it hurt years ago, after I fell. Now, the pain is an achy type pain in the outside of the calf, and pain after walking for any distance on the inside of the knee. They did foot x-rays, said bones look ok, arch has fallen. Gee, really... When I asked about further test to see if there is a tendon issue, because something caused the arch to fall, he says there's no way he would do any surgery. Surgery would cause me to have pain in my foot, and since my foot doesn't hurt now, surgery is out! He said I should have new orthotics made with a bigger arch. I told him these were only 3 months old. Now my knee OS is saying that to keep my leg from turning out I need to wear a hinged knee brace. I didn't just have 2 total knee replacements so that I could wear a hinged knee brace for the remainder of my life. Oh and I forgot the foot/ankle brace that they say I may need too. I'm really over this...
 
Back
Top Bottom