Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Is elevating toes above nose and icing helping to reduced the swollen pockets? Is it more warm than normal? I bet it's just activity related and nothing to worry about.
 
Chances are your squishy pockets are just ordinary swelling. Sometimes we never know what causes our knees to act up; we don't notice what it was or they just do it for reasons we can't unravel. :what: I know what you mean about your mind going to dark places, though. We know just enough to get worried about the possibilities. Fortunately, our fears seldom come to pass. Here's hoping elevating and icing calms it down. :console2:
 
The knees are such drama queens, aren’t they?

I hope it settles down quickly for you.
 
@sistersinhim my left knee hasn't been warm to the touch for a while now, and wasn't swollen at all, until recently. I hope it's just the extra walking and having to do the brunt of the work the past 3 months, and it's letting me know it needs a little more TLC. Like @Jockette said , these knees are "drama queens". One little move the wrong way, and they are sure to let you know. I took the office staff to lunch yesterday for Administrative Professionals Day, and it was almost 2 hours of sitting in a cramped booth, and boy did my right knee let me know about it last night, all night! I was tempted to get up and take a pain pill, but I didn't. @SusieShoes it's reminiscent of what my son used to tell me regarding computers, he's this computer guru; :heehee:anyway, he used to tell me that I knew just enough to be dangerous :snork:, I think it's the same with the knees.
 
I think the pockets of swelling is from your activities. Since it's not hot to the touch, I think there's no indication of anything worse. Is it is less so today?
 
They have cabanas poolside with flags that you raise and waiters bring you snacks and as many adult beverages as you want.
Oh boy!!! My dream vacation is a cabana boy on call.....lucky you!

Now you know my mind is wanting to go to the dark side of things...could this be my body rejecting the small amount of metal that's in there??
Please try not to worry about some periodic swelling. It's definitely NOT your body rejecting the implant! It most likely is related to a movement you made or your level of activity. Just like always, you revert back to the old tried and true treatment: rest, ice, elevation. Remember recovery is like a roller coaster - up and down. It's never, ever just a linear progression!
 
Remember recovery is like a roller coaster - up and down. It's never, ever just a linear progression!
This is so true... no matter how much I want it be... The swelling in lefty has gone down, who knows what I did, maybe nothing. Yesterday afternoon I went to lunch with my daughter and grand daughter, then shopping afterwards. Lefty was perfectly happy, and righty behaved wonderfully, just a little stiff this morning. I'm looking forward to the beach getaway with my daughter. The past 2 years I've had some sort of surgery scheduled for shortly after we returned. That sort of puts a damper on things. This year just rest and relaxation, no worries!:egypdance:
 
Hope your trip to the beach is lots of fun and very, very relaxing for you this time!!
 
The sound of the waves are so soothing! I wish I was going, too! Watch out for the sand. Walking in it can make the knees fussy.
 
Hey Jan!
Wow! You've also has a tough 2 years! But, you are on the downhill side now! The beach will be heavenly!
We'll be going the first week of June with my daughter and her family ( including my precious Grands ages 4 and 7)We get back on Sat and on Tues I will get a new hip! Three summers/3 joint replacements! I would really like to spend my summers some other way! :gaah:I hope you have a wonderful summer!
Hugs,
H.
 
@Thesoutherncook so nice to hear from you. I hope the hip surgery recovery will be faster and easier than the knees (I've heard that), and your whole summer won't be a complete wash out. I told some of my friends who are in their 50's, they better enjoy themselves, because, for me at least, when I turned 60, it seems like my parts started failing me. :groan: I sure hope and pray that the rest of my parts hold out, I know I need to get busy and loose some more weight and exercise more.:gaah: You know, all that healthy, good for us stuff.:heehee:

Enjoy your beach trip, it's such fun to be able to watch your Grands enjoying the beach. We usually go back with the whole family sometime during the summer.

Someone on here told me about the Abeo shoes, ( I can't remember who) I ordered a pair of their sandals. With the pronation of my right foot, I had almost given up hope of being able to wear sandals, but these sandals are amazing!:happydance:
 
Someone on here told me about the Abeo shoes, ( I can't remember who) I ordered a pair of their sandals. With the pronation of my right foot, I had almost given up hope of being able to wear sandals, but these sandals are amazing!:happydance:
That was me, I’m so glad you like them. I love mine! :roseshwr:
 
@Jockette Thank you, thank you for recommending them. I wore them most of the weekend. It was great. I went to the Walking Company shoe store while at the beach to see what they had to offer. They didn't have any that I wanted in my size with the posted heel for pronation. The salesman said I measured to have a neutral foot-bed, I think because he wanted to sell me some with that foot-bed in them, but I told him I would just order the one's I want. It was nice to actually see them before ordering though.
 
but I told him I would just order the one's I want.
Often they offer free shipping, and if you live near the store it’s a free return if you don’t like them. I’m about an hour away from my store.

Sometimes they have a no return policy for clearance items.
 
Now 7 months Post bilateral TKA. Why didn’t I do this sooner? I’m back doing my Whitewater kayaking , some hiking, and today stand up paddle board. No more braces. No knee pain. I’m 70 so it’s the other parts that now hurt. To all of you still in your early recovery, it will get better
 
Lefty 10 month report and Righty 4 month report.... Let me start off by saying that I am so glad it's not May 2017. I told my husband that last year at this time, I was scared out of my mind, just thinking about what was about to happen. Even though I knew what was happening when I went to have the surgery on my right knee this past January, I dreaded going through it all again, but I wasn't completely terrified.

I'm finally to the point where I can say I'm glad I had it done. When I get up from the sofa, or the dreaded low toilets, my left knee doesn't hurt at all any longer. I'm not saying lefty is completely healed, maybe 80 percent well, but I know the final 20 percent is coming along. The right one still lets me know it needs a little more healing, I'd say it's probably 60 percent well, but it's not as bad as it was before surgery. I've been trying to walk without my cane more, I still keep it in my car and usually take it into stores or restaurants, mainly for support and balance. I'm still having problems with my balance. I usually start to limp in the evenings, still get tired. I need to work on endurance as well as balance.

I don't ice and elevate much anymore, there's very little swelling anymore. Lefty isn't warm to the touch any longer, the right one is still a little warmer than normal. The OS told me when I went for my 6 week checkup that he felt better about the right implant, because when he did the left one, it was the first time he had used this type of implant (I guess I was his guinea pig:yikes:) and he had to use a larger one than he thought he was going to have to use. He said it's a little looser than he likes, but he doesn't believe it will be an issue going forward. I sure hope not! He brought an implant in to show me what he meant. The right one feels more natural to me, but then again it may just be in my head because of him saying that...

My next OS appointment is in August, it will be for my 1 year follow-up for lefty and 6 months for righty. Give or take a month or so.

I'll continue to check in from time to time, I hope everyone continues to improve. I have sincerely appreciated everyone's concern and help. It was so nice to be able to talk to people who knew what you were going through. I feel like I've made friends here.
 
I have a question for anyone on here. Has anyone ever had surgery to correct severe flat foot (over pronation)? Even with the custom orthotics, I still have a really bad gait. I don't see it getting better because my foot and ankle rolls inward and the foot turns outward. I feel like others on here who have said they feel guilty about complaining all the time, but I've gone through 3 surgeries and I still have constant pain, not the old arthritic knee pain, but pain in my back and hip muscle pain and pain in the ankle and calf of the affected foot (opposite sides). I still have to use my cane a lot, because if I don't, my balance is off and it causes pain in my back and hips.
 
I also over-pronate, a lot.
No one has ever mentioned surgery, but I think surgery would be quite complicated.
All I'm advised to do is to wear my orthotics "all the time".
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom