Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

@MVP - Please will you start a recovery thread of your own, so we can learn a bit more about you?
 
I've registered for the JRAD tomorrow, and I received a very informative book in the mail. Thanks. Is there anything I need to do further? Will I get an email or something with a link?
 
Update: 9 months for lefty and 3 months for righty.

Went to my PCP yesterday to see how everything, other than knees, are doing. The first thing she asked when she walked into the room, how's the knees? I told her the knees are okay physically, but that mentally I'm not at the best place.

I told her I still have this dreaded cane, and that no one told me I would have to relearn to walk. She just looked at me, shook her head and said she was sorry. She said not to give up, that having 3 major surgeries in 18 months is a lot to recover from. That the people who expect me to be better at this point were probably comparing me to someone who had only had one surgery to recover from. I just said thanks, I didn't want to get into the fact that just one (TKR) surgery takes up to a year to recover from. I know she was only trying to be supportive.

Physically, I am doing well. I really have no right to complain about my knees. I have good flexion and extension, I'm not going to PT anymore, so I don't know my numbers, it was 120/0 or a little better in both knees, there's not a lot of swelling anymore. I only ice when I do too much and my right knee swells.

I do still have stiffness when I sit too long at my desk. But it usually goes away after a short walk. My left knee still makes a clunking sound, my right knee doesn't. My OS said he was able to achieve a tighter fit with the right one, I asked if this was going to be a problem down the road, he said that he believes the left one will be fine, that the clunking may or may not go away, but as long as it's not painful it's okay.

I think my only lingering issue is not being able to kneel, I continue to try with the left knee, but it's extremely uncomfortable at the base of the scar (tibia). I haven't been brave enough to try the right one yet. I'm thinking there's probably some scar tissue in the left one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. @Josephine or @Jamie or @SusieShoes or anyone else who reads this post.

I received my new orthotics last week. They make a tremendous difference in my balance. I've actually walked some without my cane and not looked like Frankenstein! It gives me hope that I may truly be able to give up the cane somewhere down the road.

I have a beach trip planned in 2½ weeks. It's mine and my daughter's annual mother's day beach trip. I can't remember exactly how many years we've been doing this, at least 12, maybe more. It's a wonderful few days that I cherish. The last few years I haven't been able to make it onto the actual beach, and I probably won't this year either, but lookout pool! They have cabanas poolside with flags that you raise and waiters bring you snacks and as many adult beverages as you want. It's a little bit of heaven on earth.

So this is my 3/9 month report. See you in a month.
 
Oh my gosh! You get a cabana! :roseshwr: I like to cruise, but I'm not a beach person. Not a sun person, more like. But when we can get a cabana, I'm on that beach. They're so wonderful and you get to feel all special and pampered... and shaded. Just wonderful. Perfect for recovering from TKR. And you get your fruity beach drinks delivered, too! Enjoy!

When it comes to kneeling, a lot depends on what kind of kneeling you want to do. On a bed is the easiest, because softest. Out in the garden, or for some household tasks (cleaning out a low cabinet, for example) you might find a foam pad to be a help. I use one just because it feels much better than being on my knees on a hard floor. Also consider knee pads. I haven't tried them yet, though am thinking about it. @Kayaknlady has used them.

The way I practiced one-knee kneeling was with a sturdy object at hand, like a sofa or toilet or something else of seat-height. I put a hand on the object and lowered one knee until kneeling. Then I pushed with arm to help raise myself. After doing this for a few weeks, the leg for raising gets stronger, which really helps in getting up. My legs were more out of condition than some, because I'd put off surgery for a few years, so had not knelt in a long time.

Kneeling can be useful, and I'm glad I can do it, but it's one of those things a lot of people can live without. I don't kneel in church even though I am physically capable of doing it. My niece pointed out, "But you can kneel now." "Ssshhh!" I told her. "They don't need to know that." The Lord knows, but he also knows kneeling with my long legs in those cramped pews is uncomfortable.
 
I wear vionics and transcend shoes by Brooks I work at a shoe store so I see a lot of issues the local foot. Dr sends many people to store for a product called power step. I also use them in my keen hikers!
 
Yes @SusieShoes the cabana is wonderful! My leg muscles are weak too. I put off surgery for several years also. I think the weak leg muscles are contributing to my walking issues. Thank goodness we don't have to kneel in the pews at church, my legs are long too. We have a kneeling bench at the alter for communion. Do you think I'm correct in assuming there is some scar tissue around the scar since that's where it hurts to kneel, even on a soft memory foam mattress?
 
There might be some scar tissue under your incision that has yet to flatten out (it does with time). You can try massaging it (left knee, which is well along) to see if you can make it more mobile. The main culprit, though, is probably that the prosthesis is metal... and your bone wasn’t. The metal of the implant presses on the skin and underlying tendons, etc. less pleasantly than the original bone. :groan: I found as I knelt more, I got more used to the sensation. Bodies really don’t like unfamiliar internal sensations!
 
Wow, Jan! A beach trip with cabana and drinks? Oh, gee... You can just snap your fingers and get a margarita! That sounds fabulous. Are you by any chance coming my way?

I am so glad the new orthotics are helping. It sounds like they were just what you needed to move on. About kneeling: I can't or rather, I can but it hurts a lot. My therapist said it might always be like this because of the implants. There's not a lot of tissue between my implants and my skin. #2 feels worse than #1 but neither feel good at all so I don't think I'm going to do it. I tried on the mattress and didn't like that either. May be just one of those things that I won't be able to do (like jogging :rotfl:). By the way, I've never jogged, don't want to, don't plan to and nobody can make me.

When you look at your surgeries, you are only 9 months out from #1 and 3 months out from #2. I think you are amazing! I had a lot more time between my surgeries to recover. You have come so far. And now you are going to the beach! I was over in Biloxi today and just stared at the water. I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching waves.

Have a great time on your trip and have a drink for me!
 
@jboles I feel the same way about my leg muscles. I can walk fine some days, and then other days I'm feeling herky jerky all over the place. I think its just going to take more time. I gave up long walks over two years ago, and from April last year up until surgery I was on a walker, and then for a short while after. Then the cane. I don't use the cane now, haven't in several months, don't think it would help and always feel like I'm going to trip over the thing. I think more time and walking and you will feel more confident and stronger in your leg muscles. I think I will too. Let's just keep on keeping on - sound like a plan?
 
I definitely feel stronger and more confident these days. My balance was bad for a while after the surgery, I was afraid to be in crowds, even at the bowling alley.

I was almost 6 months when our league started back up, and we get about 10 minutes to practice before the actual game starts. The first few weeks I was very nervous standing in line with the others, waiting for my turn for my practice throw.

One time one of the men bumped me, he was talking and moving his arms, and I about freaked out inwardly (I tried to be cool on the outside) it just scared me! Of course it also had to be my least favorite person.

But it’s much better now.
 
@MSgirl I'm not headed too far south, just to North Myrtle Beach. It's about 3½ hrs from where I live, so not too much of a drive. My daughter and I really look forward to this trip every year. No spouses, no kids. Just time to do whatever you want. It is pure bliss. :martini:We always stay at the same place, the Marriott.

I can kneel, but like you said, it's hurts. I'm hoping it will improve in time. If not, I'm going to have to do some rearranging in bedrooms, to make changing the sheets easier.:snork:


@mlwreader That's me exactly. I walk almost completely normal first thing in the morning, but after a few hours my muscles get weak and I'm walking like a weeble (side to side). I hate this snails pace of recovery. I don't like to wait on things, when I want something done, I just do it. This is something I just can't do at my pace, it's at my knees pace.


@Jockette Of course that scared you, it would have scared me too. I'll be glad when the day comes that I'm not terrified of someone bumping into me and knocking me down. I guess that will get better as balance gets better.
 
I do still have stiffness when I sit too long at my desk.
That's to be expected as you are, after all, only about 12 weeks out so a bit early to be despairing over something that might well be gone in another 6-12 months. Nothing about this experience happens quickly!
My left knee still makes a clunking sound, my right knee doesn't.
My right (first) still clunks and I can make it clunk on demand but it's never been painful.
I think my only lingering issue is not being able to kneel
After 9 years and 3 years, I still can't kneel which means I can't garden, do the oven, or get down for anything!
 
I love Myrtle Beach. We went there for our honeymoon. I wanted to tell you about something I just bought. Since I'm trying to garden and kneeling isn't fun, I bought some knee pads at Lowe's in the garden section. I hadn't tried them but just did. What a difference. Not 100% like the old days but a lot better than plain knees. They hook around the knees with velcro and could work changing sheets, etc. Maybe you could see what you think. Here's the info:
Lowe's item #467809 Model 1BC-329
Bracken Creek Non-Marring Polyester-Cap Knee Pads. $7.98/pair
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound like you are progressing. Bit by bit :walking:
 
@MSgirl I think my husband may have a pair around here somewhere. I just might give them a try.

@Josephine That's awful, that after that long you still can't kneel for anything. But having to let someone else clean the oven, well, maybe not so bad.:heehee:
 
Indeed not! And it's pleased I am that there are people around willing to do this stuff, even if it does cost!
 
It’s been 6 months since my bilateral TKA and kneeling is getting easier all the time. No more knee pads for yoga, but I use 2 matts/ one doubled over. Everything is better. Hiking, kayaking, swimming. Right feels normal. Left almost there
 
That's good to hear @Kayaknlady , though I really do think it's a bit of scar tissue that's formed, because a month or so before I had my right knee done in January, my left knee was ok for a month or so, then it started to hurt again when I kneel and it's just where the scar is. I wish they would put the scar a little off center so you wouldn't be kneeling directly on it. I know I'll eventually get there, it's only been 3 months for the right one.
 
Lefty is wanting to act up lately. The past few days I've noticed there's a pocket of fluid, feels squishy, on each side of the incision. It's in the middle of my knee, on either side of the kneecap. It's larger on the medial side, but it's definitely on both sides. I asked my husband if he could tell it was swollen, he could. He said it was swollen enough that the scar was indented. Now you know my mind is wanting to go to the dark side of things...could this be my body rejecting the small amount of metal that's in there?? Arrrgh.... I'm hoping that I've just done too much or something, because it does ache a little too and feels a little more stiff.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom