Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Eight weeks today for my RTKR. I’m still taking an oxy at night to sleep, it still doesn’t last all night though. I usually wake up around 3 or 4 in pain, but I’m usually able to stretch my knee out and get back to sleep most nights. Sometimes I have to get an ice pack and move to recliner, but those nights are getting fewer. I’ve not been to PT in a week and a half, I’m ready to quit, but I think I still need it for my gait. I have appointments scheduled till the end of the month, but that may be it. I’m having new orthotics made. They said I needed a longer one and that the one I currently have isn’t built up nearly enough. I hope this works and improves my gait.
 
It has been so long since I've slept through the night, long before my TKRs. Either my bladder or inborn alarm clock would wake me. Long ago, I could sleep 8-10 hours easily. My normal (before TKRs) was around 6.5 hours. I couldn't even sleep late on the weekends! And now we get to cope with this night pain. Ugh! Wonder why we are both waking between 3 and 4? I know I need to sleep and try so hard to get comfortable but it doesn't always work. If you come up with anything, please let me know.

Do you know when your new orthotics will be ready? Is there a period of adjustment or do they just feel right at the beginning? Maybe they will solve your gait issues.

I've decided to start marking the months instead of the weeks so I'll celebrate on Friday. Hard to believe it's been two months! Hang in there. We will get to where we're going.
 
I’m crossing my fingers the new orthotic works for you. It’s been a long journey and it will be worth it when you walk with an improved gain and no pain! I was just saying to Mr. Shoes that, while having pain free knees and being able to walk normally is the best thing about having had the surgery, I think the thing I appreciated the most during recovery was when I was finally able to sleep normally again! Sounds like you’re getting there, with knees and also the sleep.
 
I found that normal sleep happened several weeks after getting off the painkillers. What a relief!

Orthotics are a boon...I think. They feel wonderful while in use. I'm still getting used to the ones that came with my new shoes.
 
My orthotics are not customized, I buy shoes and sandals at The Walking Company. I like the Abeo brand they carry, it has the higher arch and a metatarsal footbed that my foot likes.
 
@MSgirl the orthotics won’t be ready for about 3 weeks, I’m hoping they will do the trick. My OS is one of those surgeons who believes women should be around 5 degrees valgus, so that’s how he does your knees. Am I happy with this, no. But that’s what it is. The technician who was doing the gait analysis said my leg is “a little off”, but believes it’s because of the pronation in my foot, because my other knee is the same and I don’t have any problems with it. I’ve always been a light sleeper, and I think I wake up around 3 or 4 when the oxy or Tylenol is wearing off. I’m not at the point where I’m pain free enough to get to sleep without something, I’m not one of those fortunate people who fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow. @rubyyarn I’m wondering about the Oxy too. I’m almost out, I may cut it to just a half pill at night for a few days to see if I can just use Tylenol. @Jockette I may check out the shoes you mentioned. Custom orthotics are nice, but you’re really restricted on the shoes you can wear. I’ve heard that Vionics brand shoes have good arch support.
 
I had to look up “valgus”. It sounds vaguely unsettling that your OS creates a different result for women but 5 degrees isn’t that much.

In terms of shoes, I order from Zappos. I get 5-6 pairs sent out with free shipping and then return what I don’t want. That gives you the chance to walk around inside your home and really get an idea of the fit. I have tried on Vionic shoes but never kept them. They do have good arch support.

I have full custom orthotics in my walking shoes and 3/4 custom orthotics that I wear inside boots. The rest of the time I have a stick-on arch support in every pair of shoes that won’t accommodate my orthotics to counteract my pronation.
 
Vionics are great for pronation, especially the sneakers. I feel the shoes were better when they were Orthoheal but the company changed to Vionic a couple of years ago. I like the newer look sneakers especially the "Satima" but the original "Walker Classic" is still the best for longer walking. I really liked some of the sandals they had a few years ago, but haven't tried any of the newer ones yet. I bought a "few" spares of the ones I really liked just in case they discontinued them....which they did! I would recommend giving them a try. I just order them online. I've never had a problem with sizes.
 
My husband is one of those who falls asleep 30 seconds after he lays down. I wish I was that lucky. When I do get to sleep, even before this surgery, I am such a light sleeper that I wake easily. That plus potty trips don't lead to a good night's sleep. I wish I couldn't remember those days in my 20's when I could sleep till noon and probably didn't get up once in the night! Tylenol PM helps me get to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep the whole night. If you find a solution, please share with us.
 
@CdnCarol they are making 3/4 custom orthotics with a wedge heel, I believe she said. She was talking and measuring and doing a lot of head shaking, all the while I was walking and turning, it was hard to keep up with what was going on. :snork: I think I’m going to order a pair of the Walker Classics that you mentioned. They told me to bring a new pair of sneakers with me when I pick up the orthotics. @MSgirl my husband is the same way, I can be talking to him and he’s asleep. :sleeep:
 
Yesterday was my eight month anniversary for my left knee and two month anniversary for the right knee. My husband asked me if I felt up to riding to the beach to look at some properties. It’s about a 4 hour trip there, with a couple of potty breaks each way. The knees did exceptionally well, but it sure was a long day. We left around 9 am and didn’t get back home till 11 pm. I slept till 8 this morning without waking up at all, but I’ve been so sore today, I had to take a pain pill after I got back from grocery store. I hadn’t had any prescription pain medicine for a few days, only some Tylenol. Sure was nice to feel a little more normal. While looking at the property I was in and out of a golf cart, going up and down stairs, even walking in sand a little. I still had my cane but all in all, it was a good day. Even drove part of the way! That elusive light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter. :yes!:
 
The more normal things you do, the more normal you'll feel. You're still only two months out on that right knee, so it's early for long trips like you took -- but of course you had to do it! Sunshine. Fresh air. The open road. Looking at possible purchases. This is important work not just for the household but for the soul. You knew what to do knee-wise and all turned out well. :thumb:
 
While looking at the property I was in and out of a golf cart, going up and down stairs, even walking in sand a little.
Wow! You did fantastic for a 2 month old baby knee! It sounds like you're rocking this recovery. Getting back to doing normal things is what we all want. You are getting there! Now, you know what to do for that next few days to let the baby recuperate!
 
It's been doing a little whining,:tantrum: but not too much. It's a little more swollen, but really not as much as I expected. I wish I had a few days to recuperate, but I'm at work today. :gaah:
 
Tuesday at therapy my therapist said my OS had sent back a report saying he was pleased with progress on my knee as far as ROM, but he wanted them to work with me on gait, so I would be able to give up my cane. That’s my goal as well. So she worked on core and hip muscle strength. Then Thursday we used something called an Aqua-Fit, which is a treadmill in a water tank. My problem is that when I walk I sway side to side. I wasn’t able to do that in there. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to continue with these exercises though. They are killing my lower back, knee is handling it ok. I'm so afraid that my body thinks walking this way is my new normal, since I’ve done it for so many years. I dream of just standing up and walking across the room, no limp, no sway, no cane, just normal. Then I wake up, and here I go, lurching and limping. I’m like, why did I even have surgery? :headbang:
 
I have back issues and even before I found Bonesmart and learned I really could say no to things, I knew I wasn’t going to do anything to irritate my back, now that it’s been at a manageable level for a while.

Early on I was laying on the table at PT and they wanted me to do leg lifts. When I tried the second one I felt it in my lower back and I told them I’m not doing that, it hurts my back. The PT said, we’ll we’re not going to rob Peter to pay Paul, and that was that.

I realized that my knee needed attention but it wasn’t the only part of my body that did.
 
I know what you mean @Jockette My back pain is worse than my knee. I need help with my gait, but I’m going to have to postpone it for a while. I sent my OS a request for pain medicine last week, they have given me 2 prescriptions, each was for 1 week of medication if I took as prescribed, which obviously I haven’t. I just picked up the new prescription, a whole 28 pills. Had to sign 2 forms, and show drivers license. I wish the addicts had as much trouble getting drugs, then there might not be such an opioid crisis.
 
Especially over the counter cold/sinus medicine.
 
My orthotics are not customized, I buy shoes and sandals at The Walking Company. I like the Abeo brand they carry, it has the higher arch and a metatarsal footbed that my foot likes.

My fav and most comfortable shoes are Algeria’s, style Keli.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom