Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Oh Jan, I am so sorry you are having such pain. Are you icing as much as you can? And elevating? Ice the areas that are hurting the most. As long as you have a cloth between you and the ice baffle, you can ice the whole time you're down. I did. I even slept with the ice on all night. It really did help the pain.
 
Another small recovery hurdle, taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours does an okay job of controlling the pain, but I itch uncontrollably. If I only take 1 every four hours I still itch a little bit, but it’s tolerable. But the pain is just tolerable too, but my mind can’t handle that itching. I’m hoping 1 every 4 hours with a Tylenol between a couple of the doses will work for now. I know I shouldn’t compare but I’m getting ready to go back and reread some of my recovery thread.
 
Home PT recommend I call OS office to see if Benadryl would help. Got permission to try it, the way I look at it, it can’t hurt. Don’t know why this is such a problem this time and I had no problems with itching last time after I switched to Percocet. I told home PT that I was having a lot more pain this time. We took it really easy. Flexion was 90 in hospital, but that was before swelling, now it’s 65, 0 for extension.
 
I’m so sorry you’re having this side effect. Hopefully the Benadryl will work! :console2:

Yay for a gentle PT session. I didn’t get any home PT. My surgery was Monday, I came home Tuesday evening and had to be at out patient PT at 1 pm on Wednesday. I didn’t know any better then but I do now!
 
Why do these things happen? Our bodies are crazy sometimes. Thank goodness you can try Benadryl. And you will sleep so well. I hope you get some relief quickly. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm thinking about you and wishing you all the best.
 
The Benadryl really helped, so much so that I slept through my 6am dose of pain medicine, ouch! Got up, got that in about an hour and half late. Around 11:30 I’m going to take another pill and then a shower and wash my hair. @MSgirl how are you doing, been thinking about us January girls. Hope you’re doing well.
 
I’m glad the Benadryl helped! Sorry you missed a dose of pain medicine though. You know how to fix that.
 
@jboles, I am so glad the Benadryl is helping. And a good night's sleep can be so helpful. Things are going well here. The pain ball that I came home from the hospital finished up last night - not fun since the pain is back but it's doable. I've been doing a few exercises and find that going back and forth on the bike feels good. I'm not ready for a full rotation yet and won't push it. I'm walking well and try to remember to stand up straight and not grip the walker handles. Have not idea about my ROM or extension and don't care. I'm getting better and for five days out, can't complain. We January girls seem to be doing all right. Let's keep it up!
 
I guess I need to update my thread title, how about: Jan's new knees... both done now... Will someone change that for me? @sistersinhim
I know it's getting close, because I'm having trouble sleeping again, so many thoughts running through my mind. I try to keep them out, telling myself I know what to expect now, but I know what to expect now!!:yikes: At 3 months I wasn't emotionally ready to do this again, I thought I would be at six months, but I don't know if I would ever be ready. I remember when it was getting time for @Jennszoo to have her staged surgery, she posted that she just didn't want to do it again, but then once it was over with she's doing so well. I'm trying to keep my focus there, on the future, with 2 new straight legs :dancy: I've pulled out all the paraphernalia; walker, toilet seat riser, chair riser, wedge, table for ice machine beside bed, books to read, Miralax, apple juice, prune juice, food in the freezer, and a lot of gluten free snacks. Six days and counting....

Good luck with your recovery!
 
Today is my one week kneeversary. The home PT removed the bandage today. Not a terrible looking incision, wish it was a little straighter. My flex has increased a bit from my first home therapy session. It was 90 in hospital, but went down to 65 after all the swelling started, it’s back to 85 and 0 currently. Having some back and side/ lower rib cage pain, also numbness in foot. I have a call into my doctor about it. I’m concerned that it might be related to Xarelto. I rode to my office, just to say hi, was nice to get out of the house.
 
Wow! You got out of the house! I am bored stiff and sick of daytime tv. Somehow, I can't seem to get interested in Netflix yet. That is so great that you have 85 and 0. My flexion is good but my extension needs some work. Wonder what is causing your rib pain and numbness. I hope you hear back from your doctor soon. Aren't we glad to have passed the one week mark?!
 
@MSgirl it was so nice to have a change of scenery. I can’t get interested in tv either. My doctors office called back, they don’t think it’s related to the Xarelto, but that drug sure is in the news a lot. I told them I might just switch to aspirin, they said it was my decision, but aspirin wasn’t as effective in preventing blood clots as the Xarelto. What to do.....
 
Don't those tv drug ads blow your mind? On one hand, they are trying to sell meds. On the other, they tell all the possible side effects (usually including death!) that they are required to do by law. I don't know why anyone would want any of the meds they advertise. Seems it would be better just to get a prescription from our doctors without all the hype. I can't imagine how much those ads must cost. Just goes to explain why medicine is so expensive.
 
Today is my one week kneeversary. The home PT removed the bandage today. Not a terrible looking incision, wish it was a little straighter. My flex has increased a bit from my first home therapy session. It was 90 in hospital, but went down to 65 after all the swelling started, it’s back to 85 and 0 currently. Having some back and side/ lower rib cage pain, also numbness in foot. I have a call into my doctor about it. I’m concerned that it might be related to Xarelto. I rode to my office, just to say hi, was nice to get out of the house.

Happy one week kneeversary, @jboles. Hope you get your numbness figured out and glad you felt up to getting out of the house.
 
Today is my 2 week knee anniversary for my RTKR. I had my 2 weeks doctors appointment yesterday, they removed my one stitch. Said knee looks good. He eyeballed my ROM, said it looks to be around 90 and 0, that’s close to what PT says. He was fine with that. I’ve been able to cut way back on pain medicine, my goal is to be only taking Percocet at night by 3 weeks. I’ve got one more appointment with home PT, outpatient PT starts next week. I’ve been trying to do a few chores, load dishwasher, cook a few simple things, feed cat. I feel like I’m further along with this knee than I was with the first one. I have so much admiration for those bilateral people. I would have and I needed to do both at same time, but my OS wouldn’t do it. If he would have done them both, it would have been great to have had them both finished, but it would have been tough. It’s hard to believe January is over, it’s been a busy month, I hope February brings continued recovery progress to everyone.
 
You are doing so well with this knee! I think knowing what to expect is why a lot of second knees do better than the first one. All that anxiety of not knowing just adds to the stress. And the stress adds to the knee pain!
 
Way to go, Jan! Isn't it amazing? Life is moving on for both of us. Do you think it has seemed easier because we feel more empowered? I wonder. We know what to do, what not to do and what to not let others do to us. Today my home PT gave me an order. Oh, gee. He says he wants me to go out to dinner this weekend! I'll find a place where I can put my leg up, no fine dining establishment this time. But it is kind of exciting. I've not left the house yet - no makeup, no contacts, no perfume. That part has been kind of nice but I'm ready to get back into life. I agree about our bilateral friends here. They impress me beyond words.

Keep me posted on how your outpatient PT goes. I have one more week of home PT, then I'll be going outpatient also. We'll probably scare them to death when we march in with our orders about how they will treat us!
 
Enjoy your dinner date this weekend, even it means hair, makeup and perfume, lol. My daughters birthday is Friday and her husband is having a birthday/super bowl party Sunday. I’m planning on going, I should be able to put my leg up on a sofa. My husband is ready for me to grocery shop, not sure that I am though. I hate those riding carts, I’m always scared of mowing something, or someone over!

I’m dreading having to train a new PT on the Bonesmart way of exercise.
 
I avoided going to a restaurant until I was 4 months post op. My knee did not like the “foot on the floor” position and even now only tolerates it.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom