Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Gosh, I feel for you. Anything that cuts out your comfort foods (or comfort anything) is rough. When I was diagnosed with diabetes (that one came out of left field), I was upset because I thought I had to give up everything tasty, like donuts. I love donuts. I could think of nothing but eating donuts for weeks because... yeah, stupid no good body. :tantrum:

On the plus side, they're doing a lot with gluten-free these days. My daughter-in-law and grandson eat gluten-free. I see you've already been offered recipes. There are also more packaged foods than before and some are pretty darn good! And you do get to do extra-special bonding with your granddaughter! :roseshwr:
 
I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with coeliac disease, @jboles . :console2:

Susie had some helpful comments for you and, as she said, it is something that gives you a special bond with your granddaughter.
Nowadays, supermarkets have a good selection of gluten-free foods, so that will help.
 
@jboles I am so sorry to hear about the celiac disease! Hopefully eliminating wheat from your diet will make you feel so much better that you won't mind giving up cake. Although...cheesecake might pass?

At least you know what is causing the problem.
 
Aw crud @jboles! I’m so sorry to hear of this latest development; pffft!

You’re so right when you say all of these things should occur when we are young and strong, but this is the less than golden aspect of being vintage.

Sending you some hugs and warm cyber donuts!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
P. S. At least you can have ice cream, eh?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's been a while since I posted, but I would like to keep a diary so I have something to judge my next surgery with. My 4 month anniversary was last Friday the 17th. I spent that day getting an IV iron infusion and have to have at least one more. My knee is pretty much pain free, unless I spend an entire day on my feet, then I have some pain on the inside of my knee. I ice it and it usually only last a day. I can go up and down stairs normally, though I find myself still wanting to go one step at a time. I'm trying to train myself to get used to going up with the operated leg, so I will be used to doing it that way when I have the next knee done on January 3. Still have some swelling after a long day, but all in all I'm glad I had the surgery done, and I really feel like it's my knee, not a foreign object, and I was really concerned about that. My ROM is close to 130 and extension is 0. I hope my right knee turns out this well.
 
It sounds as if you're doing well now, getting back to a normal life. Your ROM is great. :yay: :happydance:
 
You’ve had a great recovery so far. Look at that ROM! And you’re working on those lingering little deficits like on the stairs. I have the same one, on the stairs, and “just doing it” has really worked wonders. My left knee is the weaker and I make a point of doing the high outside steps with Lefty doing the lifting. The difference in just a few weeks is really amazing. At your point in recovery, icing after a long day because of a little swelling is pretty much normal.

Sorry you have to get the IV iron infusions, but at least those will get you to where you need to be. January 3 will be here before you know it. And it’s great you get to enjoy the holidays before having the next surgery!
 
I really was dreading getting the IV iron infusions, but I could tell a huge difference yesterday in how I felt. I'm not freezing anymore, :SUNsmile: and yesterday it was 6 pm before I got home from work, I fixed dinner, loaded dishwasher, made cheese ball for work party and made 6 dozen sausage balls. It was almost 10 o'clock before I sat down and close to midnight before I went to bed. I was back up at 6:30 this morning for work. My DH said you should have gotten these years ago, he said after you get the other knee done, I won't be able to keep up with you!:egypdance:
 
Change of plans.... I went for my second iron infusion on Nov. 27, had a slight reaction, had to get some iv Benadryl. I had to cover for one of the girls in the office who went home sick with bronchitis. Two days later I was sick, turned into pneumonia, and now the doctors have moved the new surgery date for my RTKR to January 17. I felt so much better after the first infusion, but I've been so sick after the second one, that I don't know how I will eventually feel, but my stored iron count is way above where it should be, so I guess the infusions did the job. Maybe I won't be quite as exhausted after this next surgery.
 
How scary. At least your iron count is up!

I am so sorry to hear about your pneumonia. You have certainly been through it! How are you feeling now?
 
Thank you @sistersinhim. I'm finally starting to feel almost normal. I'm really glad they wanted to move my surgery back 2 weeks, knowing now how draining this surgery is on you, I wanted to have as much energy as possible. Yes, this TKR journey sure has been an adventure! Finding out that I have a gluten allergy, that causes me to be anemic, then having the iron infusions to correct the issue, was definitely not what I expected, but God works in mysterious ways.
 
Yes, He does. But, it's always for the good for His children!

How are you feeling now?
 
Wishing my fellow Bonesmart friends a Happy New Year, I hope 2018 brings everyone relief and improvement for their knees. I'm 5-1/2 months out from my LTKR, and for the most part I feel like my knee is doing really well. The only lingering problem is swelling on the inside/front of the knee. It feels like there's a pocket of fluid there. Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm having the right knee done on the six month anniversary of my left knee, January 17. I had really hoped the left knee would be a little better, but maybe it will enjoy the rest.
 
Question for those further along. I'm 5-1/2 months since LTKR and had been doing pretty well. My next knee is supposed to be done in 2 weeks. I guess I've done more than my knee likes. I'm having more swelling and pain walking. It almost feels like presurgery pain. There feels like a pocket of fluid on the inside of knee beside kneecap. Any suggestions or ideas as to what's wrong would be appreciated.
 
I guess I need to update my thread title, how about: Jan's new knees... both done now... Will someone change that for me? @sistersinhim
I know it's getting close, because I'm having trouble sleeping again, so many thoughts running through my mind. I try to keep them out, telling myself I know what to expect now, but I know what to expect now!!:yikes: At 3 months I wasn't emotionally ready to do this again, I thought I would be at six months, but I don't know if I would ever be ready. I remember when it was getting time for @Jennszoo to have her staged surgery, she posted that she just didn't want to do it again, but then once it was over with she's doing so well. I'm trying to keep my focus there, on the future, with 2 new straight legs :dancy: I've pulled out all the paraphernalia; walker, toilet seat riser, chair riser, wedge, table for ice machine beside bed, books to read, Miralax, apple juice, prune juice, food in the freezer, and a lot of gluten free snacks. Six days and counting....
 
Last edited:
I've changed your thread title for you, Jan.
Best wishes for the 17th.
 
You know what to do so you've got this! It sounds like you're all prepared and ready for #2!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom