Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

I had to sit at my desk and pay a few bills today. A few minutes turned into an hour, my knee didn’t like it at all. Got my leg on the lounge doctor with an ice pack now, much better :yes!:
 
It doesn't take much to feel it, does it??? We are two and a half weeks out and I think I can get all ambitious and then once it starts there's only one remedy! Hope you are feeling better!
 
Enjoy your dinner date this weekend, even it means hair, makeup and perfume, lol. My daughters birthday is Friday and her husband is having a birthday/super bowl party Sunday. I’m planning on going, I should be able to put my leg up on a sofa.
.
You should have a plan B in case it gets to be too much. Even if you can put your leg up during the game, not being at home isn't the same as elevating in your own "nest." :)
 
@jboles, my leg has been elevated most of the time while sitting for the past 3 years. Icing helps. Take your meds on schedule to avoid the severe pain. Our doc approves of taking Benedryl and that helped. Have a great weekend with your loved ones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Slept through the night last night :happydance:. Went to bed at 10:30, took one Percocet and a Benadryl and I didn’t wake up until 6:30. Getting a whole nights sleep makes you feel so much better, both physically and mentally. At a little over 2 weeks, I’m really pleased with my progress so far.
 
I haven’t slept through the night in years, so the sleep thing after surgery didn’t bother me, I was used to it!
:yawn:
 
After a much too busy weekend, I’ve spent most of the day resting. Went to dinner with family on Saturday then to my daughters house for the Super Bowl, was definitely a member of the ODIC last night! I’m trying to get off daytime Percocet this week. I’ve taken a half of a Percocet with one extra strength Tylenol at 8am and again at 4pm. I’ll try this for a couple of days then try only a half pill one time during the day for a couple of days to try and taper off. Can’t stop “cold turkey “, but I really don’t like taking it longer than I absolutely have to. May have to adjust my schedule a bit for PT, we’ll have to see.
 
Had first outpatient PT appointment today, the therapist had a TKR 11 years ago and is having a revision in 2 weeks. He said that he changed his ideas about TKR therapy after he had his knee replacement. I wish they all felt that way.
 
Interesting!!! Why the revision? And his change of heart about therapy? I have often felt that anyone who has gone through a TKR has a completely different level of empathy for us....its so easy to push us when on they have no idea what this feels like.
 
@jboles, some physical therapists get it. Having one with previous joint replacement would get it for sure. Where is this person???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@amymj his knee has loosened. He also said he hit his kneecap on a piece of equipment and chipped a piece off of it. He said he has a DePuy replacement, said they are putting in a Stryker this time. @AThom10731 His OS is in the same practice as mine. He’s located with Wake Forest Baptist at their Lexington, NC facility. I only have him for 2 weeks, then they will switch me to another person. I will ask him if he plans on doing his own therapy or if not who he’s going to. I may request the same.
 
I hope you have good results with your new therapist. Happy healing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Today is my 3 week knee anniversary. I feel like I’m doing well. Sleeping is pretty good, some nights better than others. My PT measured me at 99 flex and 0 extension. Incision looks okay, there’s a little redness beside incision, I think it’s just heat from inside. Still not able to go foot over foot on stairs. I’m doing some light household chores, like loading dishwasher, making bed and some easy meal prep. I’m elevating and icing the majority of the day and using ice machine at night. I’m so ready to get rid of the ice machine, I hate listening to that thing. I still take 1 Percocet at bedtime and during the day I take half of a Percocet with 2 Tylenol a couple of times during the day. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to give up the daytime Percocet and just use Tylenol. I told my DH last night that it’s hard to believe it’s only been 3 weeks. In some ways it seems like I’ve come a long way in such a short amount of time, but on the other hand, 3 weeks feels like an eternity.
 
You're doing great. I was no where close to you at 3 weeks. Doing stairs foot over foot takes a while but you'll get there.
 
Great report, jboles! I am almost exactly where you are in terms of activity. I still sit and ice a lot, light chores around the house. Emotionally I feel good, which is nice. I guess my biggest complaint right now is the nighttime pain. Its not terrible and I really haven't been doing much but I get the "zingers" at night, which wake me up! Drives me crazy! I know its just healing. I get up and move to the recliner with ice, take a small dose hydro and back to sleep!
 
You're doing great at 3 weeks! Foot over foot might take a while yet, but that's completely normal. You're already getting back to those wonderful daily activities (I remember being strangely elated at unloading the dishwasher again) and getting around well. You've been recovering for months now, so of course it feels like forever. :tiredwheel:

You're doing fine on pain meds, too. I stopped my narcotic at three weeks, maybe a little soon but I had tummy trouble, and Tylenol worked well after that. So you're right on track that way.
 
Jan, you are doing so well! I have to admit, I'm envious of your sleeping. Time is funny, isn't it. Maybe because we knew what to expect, it seems to be moving so slowly. I just want to get on with it. I hope you have a fantastic weekend. Maybe another dinner out?
 
It’s funny that we all move to the recliner isn’t is @amymj my DH asked me why is it when I wake up can’t I just go back to sleep in the bed? I can sometimes, but I can get to sleep much faster if I head to the recliner with an ice pack. Oh, I hate those zingers too!
@SusieShoes wouldn’t it be nice if loading/unloading the dishwasher always brought us as much pleasure as it does now? I’m sure it seems so long to me because of staged recovery. My left knee had just got to the stage where I didn’t think about it much anymore, and now I’m back to square one. Had to take a whole pill during the day today, a half of one just wouldn’t cut it.
@MSgirl I think maybe you’re like me, we’ve been doing this knee recovery for a long time, even longer for you than me. I’m sure you’re really ready to be done with it. I hope you’re able to go out to dinner also. A change of scenery does a world of good.
 
@SusieShoes wouldn’t it be nice if loading/unloading the dishwasher always brought us as much pleasure as it does now?
Yeah, I got over the "joy" of house cleaning pretty quickly once I could do it again.:snork:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom