THR Things couldn't have gone better. Minor hiccup but all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I feel every bit as bad as yesterday. I am still struggling to walk on my knees. Seems like it has spread to nearly all the joints.

Today I will go in and have an exam. Maybe something will come of it.

I'm no gout expert but all my regions of pain are right and he base of my left big toe is all imflamed and super painful. Gout rarely attacks more than on joint a time. I dunno I'll talk to the doc.
 
Hang in there, @M1ke - good that you're following up with your doctor & hoping he gets to the bottom of things soon. I know it's got to be terribly frustrating, but know we're all here for you...
 
I was prescribed 2 antibiotics [Levaquin 750mg tablets and Metronidazole 500mg tablets] at the same time for a possible bout of diverticulitis. The doc did not even do any culture check whatsoever. I told him that I was pretty sure that my problem came from taking all the ibuprofen before my THR. My intestines were incredibly painful and it felt like diverticulitis. I was also prescribed some vicodin for the pain. Anyway, I was so desperate to get better that I took the prescribed pills. But only once did I do that, because I read up on both medications and was truly scared to take them. The side effects of Levaquin sounded so much worse than the Metronidazole and because of that and my own suspicion that I did not have diverticulitis, I did not take it any more and will refuse to take it unless my life is at stake. The side effects are the same as the stuff you are taking for your UTI. I tried taking the Metronidazole for the prescribed length, but stopped because of the side effects. It made me feel sort of 'out of body', my arms started tingling, my tongue was coated in fur, I just did not feel right at all. I was truly ticked off at the doc because he did not even take a culture. I had no fever or any signs of infection. Just a lot of pain. I think docs can get lazy and just prescribe what they always prescribe. I call Levaquin the atom bomb of antibiotics. By the way, I am not in the habit of taking antibiotics at all. So, why prescribe this stuff for me? I don't think that it should be 'one size fits all' when it comes to medications.
Of course you have to take something for your UTI, but is it really necessary to take what you have been prescribed? There are so many other antibiotics with less dangerous side effects, like tendon rupture even up to several months after finish taking fluoroquinolone [Levaquin and others like it].
I wish you all the best.
I was so ticked off when I was prescibed this, I was ranting and raving for weeks and everyone knew about it. You got me started all over again. Yikes!
 
@M1ke so sorry for the set back. Hope you're feeling better soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Briggieride

I feel the same way. I am irritated that I was prescribed this when there are other antibiotics that could have been used. The black label on that stuff is scary to read!

Out of this entire process my reactions to the pharmaceuticals have by far been the most difficult part. I can't wait to be off meds. I had nearly every side effect possible for oxycodone. Glad I'm done with that.

I am starting to feel better! I forced myself to get up and milled around the kitchen a bit and noticed an immediate improvement. I am leaving right now to go for a walk cause maybe all I need is some circulation to get this stuff flushed out of my system.
 
@M1ke so sorry you are having a rough time. Keep the fluids up and hopefully with the new meds and you getting to walk a little, it will as you say get the stuff out of your system.

thinking of you…….
 
Thanks everyone. I went for my walk up our hill and roughly 3 blocks pretty steep. Felt amazing. Sat down for an hour and I feel like I'm ready to do it again. It seems the pharmacist was right about symptom tapering off and feeling better by tonight. So relieved. Cipro was added to my list of allergens.

I think I'm back on track.
 
That is s a great relief Mike that you're feeling a lot better. You just never know what is around the corner of the recovery journey do you? All the best for your continued improved health.
 
Thanks everyone. I went for my walk up our hill and roughly 3 blocks pretty steep. Felt amazing. Sat down for an hour and I feel like I'm ready to do it again. It seems the pharmacist was right about symptom tapering off and feeling better by tonight. So relieved. Cipro was added to my list of allergens.

I think I'm back on track.

Just rode 20 min on stationary bike 9 days from surgery. You to will be on a bike soon. Looking forward to when I can hop on a real bike outdoors.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I see your in Portland. I'm in Carson, Wa. out in the Columbia River Gorge.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh yea pass through there occasionally. More specifically we are in gresham. We boat all summer long and camp on the Columbia.

@Stan H I would be on a stationary as well by this time if it wasn't for the cipro setback.

All, I saw the doctor today and confirmed it was a cipro attack. The cipro should be out of my system by late tonight but the effect (tight inflamed tendons) will be with me a few weeks to a month. The real bummer is the recommendation to help is anti inflammatory but I can't take that because of the hip. :(
 
Ugh. Finally turned the corner on the infection and cipro attack. It's moms day and sunny so we all went outside. After night sweats and being cold all the time the sun feels amazing. Looking in the mirror I look all pale and sickly. I have walked the block unassisted 4 times today now.

It's just a bummer cause I was really kicking butt until this infection and cipro thing happened. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer even!
 
I'm really pleased to hear that you are getting back on track, @M1ke :)
The last thing we need during recovery is to have to recovery from something else at the same time!

If you can, keep going a bit further each day, and you'll soon be enjoying the good weather and time off to the max.
 
@psychteach

Thanks for asking. Yes that a thing of the past and feeling much better now. MUCH better. I am two weeks post op and rode my bike 11 miles yesterday! So things are going great. I have been an avid cyclist for a lot of years now so take this with a grain of salt. That kind of recovery would be a lot easier for me than most people.
 
@psychteach

Thanks for asking. Yes that a thing of the past and feeling much better now. MUCH better. I am two weeks post op and rode my bike 11 miles yesterday! So things are going great. I have been an avid cyclist for a lot of years now so take this with a grain of salt. That kind of recovery would be a lot easier for me than most people.
Well, that's a recovery and a half Mike !!!
I take it you're not in too much discomfort then...?

I seem to remember someong saying something about me swimming a couple of lengths being a major event...? lol

Sportsman's wager for you - carry on in this vein, and you will be riding race distances (if not a race) by the end of the Summer (end Sep2014) ... what do you think?
:bicycle1:
 
Yesterday surprised me for sure. I could have done it again today actually. So yes race distances are in grasp by end of summer and surfing only a few weeks out
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom