Guest viewing is limited

TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

@pheebs I'm glad it wasn't you who was sleepless in the rabbit hole. :heehee:

"Buddy" ( aka TKR #1) has an indention at the top of the incision. Not a clue why, but it is there when extended.

@Canada35 I'll keep that recommendation in mind when we travel north. Knoxville is 2 hrs from us. We are actually 2 hrs from EVERYWHERE...Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, ATL.... and my OS!
 
I haven't found any ravioli @Pheebs52 but I definitely have an indent at the top of my incision scar! Varicose veins don't seem more prominent but I can now move the skin around on the top of my kneecap so I guess that means the swelling is no longer stretching my knees to the breaking point. The resulting sag of my knee skin puts elephant skin in my mind lol!
 
Aha, so three here with the mini canyon at the top of the incision! Great, we are not alone, lol!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No mini canyon or ravioli for me but I developed a dimple this week on the lateral side. And I have had a hard lump about the size of a golf ball just above the dimple for weeks now - doesn't hurt. I had a couple of pronounced veins on the medial side of my upper shin but they have receded.
 
Hey Helen and Becky @becticu - Do you ever go to Richard Ridge BBQ at the Caryville exit off I75 north of Knoxville? It is one of my favourite spots to stop on our trips to and from Florida. On Monday and Thursday evenings they have live bluegrass music featuring mostly locals. We love it and now that I am thinking my knees can make the trip this winter, I look forward to another visit!
@Canada35, I love that place. I have an account near there and always stay at that Hampton Inn near there. They have llama's on the grounds and swings where you can sit and overlook the lake and see the mountains. There is a great walking trail in the state park that's right there.
 
Is anyone taking Tramadol as step down from stronger narcotics? Are you taking Tylenol as well? Do you take them in combination?? Thinkng I need something stronger than Tylenol but I do not want to go back on Oxycodone. I quit taking all pain meds, but this weekend decided maybe that was premature.
Any thoughts?
 
How was your eclipse, Helen? Did you at least sit out and enjoy it, even without the big potluck?
 
It was fantastic, wasn't It? We had a little over 2 minutes of totality and I sat on the deck with hubby and all my kids and a couple of their significant others. My dear husband had ordered glasses for everyone and we had a great view. I haven't been out of the house today. I was up and down a bit more than usual but kids did grilling and I'm feeling pretty good. Nice to think about something besides knee today.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!
 
What a great photo, Helen! It was a relief yesterday to have something that everyone in the country could agree on. I was at physical therapy, and we all went outside and shared glasses to watch. It was cloudy here in Michigan, but stunning nevertheless.

I can't believe how much your and my recovery have been in parallel. I have been taking only one Tramadol before bed, but I cut that out all together 4 nights ago. I'm thinking that was premature, since the last two nights haven't gone so well. To answer your question, I have found the combination of Tramadol and Tylenol to be very effective. From the start I haven't taken them at the same time, but rather stagger them.
 
I relented and took 500 mg Tylenol and 50 mg Tramadol before bed last night. I slept all night with no pain, no tightness, on my side for a while and no pain this am. I even slept with the TKR under the covers! Previously, even the soft sheet touching it was painful. Either those meds are the answer for now or I have turned another recovery corner. I have appt with OS's PA on Friday and would love to go in with this feeling!

5 wk report:
Walking with cane - except when I forget where I left it!
Drove once -just to prove I can!
Taking more responsibility for meal prep
Have gone downstairs ( like a toddler) to my art studio several times
Can sit for a meal with TKR down
Icing and elevating whenever I sit
Going out to PT 3x week and doing nothing on non PT days
Sleeping 8 hrs a night
 
Knoxville is 2 hrs from us. We are actually 2 hrs from EVERYWHERE...Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, ATL.... and my OS!
This comment cught my eye because that is exactly how we describe where my mother and sister live. I looked back in your thread, and voila! Murphy, NC! I have flown into each of the cities you mentioned as two hours away, many times, when visiting my mom. Recently, she has moved to an independent living apartment in Hiawassee, GA. My sister continues to live on a ridge above Murphy.

You mentioned that it is a good place to retire. My parents spent a number of years exploring various places like northern New Mexico and Colorado on their summer vacations with an eye toward retirement. Ultimately they decided on Murphy, NC. They bought a little house 1 mile from the John C Campbell Folk School. My sister now teaches some classes there, and family members have all taken one or more. A great place!

i don't want to make this too long, but I would love to see your artwork!:roseshwr:. And I am impressed with your milestones at your number of weeks. Way to go!! I'm going to talk to my doctor about Tramadol. I'm not getting to sleep until about 2:30 AM or later, and I'm afraid it will become an ingrained habit if I don't find something to help.
 
Last edited:
@Pheebs52, @Thesoutherncook, and @Canada35 - I have no idea if this is true, but I heard a physical therapist telling his client that he could see a distinct indentation at the top of the knee, and that was good. It meant that the swelling was going down. The guy he was examining was quite fit and looked like a runner who was rehabbing at least a PKR? Could have been an ACL tear, too, as the scar looked a lot like the one my daughter has.
 
Helen, what a fab five week report! Your eclipse photo isn't too shabby either, lol. Actually, it's stunning![emoji79]

I can't take Tramadol, but if I could have I certainly would have, especially between Weeks 4-8. In my ever so humble opinion, those are helping you attain 8 hours of glorious, healing zzz's. As such, I would continue with them for a few more weeks. [emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How wonderful to hear you're doing so well! That eclipse pic is a stunner. Here where I am, it looked more like a cloud had passed over for a bit, though the sun had a nice bite taken out of it. But nothing like what you saw! And whatever helps you get a good night's rest is worth doing for a bit.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom