TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Yikes! That's still my fear, something coming after me and I'm not a runner! I'm not sure we have a view of the eclipse here in PA.
 
@KarriB come on down! We have plenty of room!

No ODIC mtg tonite! Tired, but not too bad. DH is ok, just sore. We'll both be taking benedryl tonite!
Steri strips are beginning to pop off! Hurrahhh!
 
Helen, I was on Happydale's thread, at least I think it was her thread. On it you mentioned your blog. I've got it bookmarked for later reading. I of course cooked when all the kids were home but found I cook less and less now that we are empty nesters. It's all come down to convenience unfortunately. I'll tell DH of my desire to cook and he poo poos it away and said that's too much work. Maybe I can say it's therapy! Knee therapy. I'm going to do some cooking on the little time I have left of this recovery! So many interesting people on this site!
 
One more "milestone" in recovery.... steri strips are popping off! Yeah AND yuck! Not a pretty sight, but then I look at #1 and know it is not forever! Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?? :wink:

DH is feeling much better today after his bout with what we now know were not bees but yellow jackets!
 
Oh, yellow jackets are the worst. We burned a nest out a couple of years ago and DH did not listen to my suggestion on how to do it and got stung half a dozen times. It was pretty bad for a day or so but cleared up pretty quickly. I felt so bad for him I didn't even say I told you so.
 
@Jajakio I told him he needs to burn the nest, but he's reluctant to go back! He recently bought one of those flame thrower things for weeds. Looks like that would be perfect, but what do I know? :wink:
 
Oh, yes, yellow jackets are the worst. They're pesky. One of my sons is allergic to bees and when he was young, I waded in after every yellow jacket nest. I dressed head to foot in thick, loose clothing and boots, put on my see-through cos-play ninja mask, and sprayed the nest with chemicals. I killed so many they probably have my ninja face plastered all over Yellow Jacket Most Wanted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh! Yellow jackets! Those things are nasty, especially this time of year. If you are lucky, a skunk will come along and dig up the nest, eating everyone inside. Otherwise, you have to burn 'em out.
 
Yes yellow jackets are awful, wait till dark before you burn them out. I'm supposed to be around 95% eclipse, not total, but still should be good.
 
Oh Helen, no, no, no! I hate the thought of your DH (and your CAREGIVER, Need I remind you??) going out after that yellow jacket nest! The poor guy can't tolerate another attack. Call the professionals to handle it and chalk it up to a collateral surgery expense!!
 
I hope everyone else had a great visit from the Sleep Fairy last night! I was awake ALL night! First time since surgery. UGH. :mcoffee: Nothing hurt, I was just AWAKE. :bored:
 
Pain usually kept me from a full night sleep early on, but... yeah. Sometimes it was just lying there staring at the ceiling. And I'm someone who for 60 years has been able to fall asleep within moments of my head hitting the pillow. Not my favorite phase of recovery.
 
I think everyone has sleep issues. It really helps me to take a pain pill at least an hour before bed so when I go to bed I'm at least not dealing with pain.
 
I'm 5 weeks out and dealing with insomnia too. I don't think it's primarily about pain, although that may be a component sometimes. I've tried tylenol pm, benadryl, a glass of wine, etc. Sometimes I can't get to sleep at all but more often I sleep a couple of hours then wake up sometime between midnight and 2 am and just can't find a comfortable position or just wide awake insomnia. Sometimes I get back to sleep in an hour or two, sometimes not. I have never had this issue before surgery. I normally fall asleep within 5 or 10 minutes of going to bed and insomnia is a once or twice a year thing for me. Hopefully this will eventually pass for both of us.
 
@jboles Great plan, but I had no pain! Just stared at the ceiling for hours, finally got up and dozed in my recliner, then finally back to bed at 5:30 am! My brain was rolling with things we need to do before the weekend...getting groceries, plans for neighborhood potluck, etc. etc. etc......I hate it when it refuses to shut down! :headbang:
 
Helen, I've just caught up on your thread and can't believe all the excitement I'd missed! Huge congratulations on tackling your 13 steps (I have the same # to my painting supplies) to indulge in some painting, aka, "Me time, and alone! This is HUGE! I've slapped some paint on canvas from about week 3, but nothing of consequence resulted. However, I still found it very therapeutic! It just puts us in an entirely different realm, one that isn't knee or body-centric. I never think about the end result, just go with the flow and see what develops.:SUNsmile:

I have a mortal fear of flying, stinging insects, especially yellow jackets, so can only bow down in respect to your incredibly bold, warrior-like moves in slaying those nasty, flying beasties! With a gimpy knee and and only a fly-swatter, no less! I'd kneel if I could, but perhaps a curtsey will suffice? :curtsey:I really hope your DH is ok after multiple bites? Mine would be in the hospital due to allergies; ugh!

Like most here, I had huge sleeping difficulties the first 4-5 weeks or so, but I just couldn't remain in bed and stare at the ceiling. I find that crazy-making. Instead, I'd get up and prowl around the house a bit with my super, squeaky walker. When the knee and I would tire of our nocturnal walks, I'd get on either the living room sofa or hubby's ratty, old recliner with a book, my ice and some pillows. If the timing was right, I'd pop a pain pill. Generally, within an hour or so, I'd fall back asleep (often sitting up) for at least another hour or two.

In many respects, I found those sleepless nights the worst part of recovery. They seemed interminable and I believe all that sleep disruption does negatively affect our outlook and emotions. Daytime naps were great, and I certainly took them, wherever and whenever, but....there's just nothing like a good night's sleep. If you are as lucky as I was, your sleep should improve radically fairly soon. I *think* I hit 5 hours of solid zzz's at around the end of Week4, and things just progressed from there. I did not achieve this in bed though until about the 7 week point. The bed(s) just weren't user-friendly for me at that time. I certainly gave them the old, college try, but even when pain wasn't especially bad, I just couldn't get comfy. Hubby's old, ratty recliner was definitely my best sleeping buddy and that's what led to me purchasing a nice, new recliner for when I will tackle Knee#2, lol.

I think we all find the lack of independence humbling, frustrating and sometimes depressing. One of the happiest moments for me was when I got back behind the wheel at Week Five. Ironically, I don't typically do a lot of driving, because I don't have to in an urban neighborhood and also because hubby likes driving more than me. But, I sure loved the freedom driving brought back to me! Oh yeah, and I'm still riding a high on that every time I get in the driver's seat.:yes!: So, soon, you will be experiencing that as well, and it's a really big milestone to anticipate with glee!

I love the mental image of you *supervising* the landscaper from your post on the sidewalk, lol. Yesterday, my landscaper was here to mow and I don't typically go out there while they are working, but I had seen a weedy bush I wanted removed and so I navigated the 13 stairs, with cane, and walked with him to the offending weed, using my cane as a pointer. Every fiber of my being wanted to pull that miserable thing by myself, but....I live on a steep hill, so I had to control my most severe yanking urges; hah! Did I say I actually like pulling weeds? Hahaha, yes, I do!

Here's to a better day, free of yellow jackets, and any other unwanted experiences! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom