TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

i was also put on Celebrex by my surgeon post knee replacement. i took it for a month and didn't experience any side effects but also didn't notice any reduction of swelling, other than the great reduction after the first week or 2 post op, although there could be internal swelling it helped. i went off it for a few weeks, then i asked for another prescription hoping it would help with the swelling. as far as i can tell after taking it for another month, the swelling hasn't changed, so i haven't got another refill. i don't know what else to do as i'm now getting massage, laser, tens, cupping and just the other day, acupuncture (which is too soon to tell if it helps). i did notice a slight reduction in swelling after spending an hour in a warm outdoor swimming pool on saturday. i do ice and elevate on my lounge doctor, but now only at bedtime due to looking after my 7 y.o. granddaughter during the day. hope you can get your swelling reduced and if you do, let us know what helped.

those cookies sound delicious. enjoy!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Helen,
I was given Celebrex in the hospital but not after discharge. I love ibuprofen for swelling - I've been taking it for knee pain for a long time, and I think it really helps with swelling. My doctor just suggested Tylenol, so I asked him about alternating with ibuprofen and he said I could do that. I would really like to end the Tramadol at night (which is now the only time I take it - 1 tablet right before bed) but the night I didn't take one I didn't sleep as well.

I'm itching to get back into the kitchen, and you are making me hungry and jealous with your cookie description! I have been able to do some minor cooking, but I'm getting a pile of more ambitious recipes that are calling my name! My sister was on a very restrictive diet, so yummy desserts have been missing from my post-op diet.
 
Helen, perhaps the cookies you've so kindly forwarded to me via Express Delivery have anti-swelling properties? I'm sure they do! I wasn't prescribed Celebrex for this surgery, but have had it in the past, specifically for the rotator cuff. I didn't think it did much at all, and now, there's just so much negativity in the medical press about any and all Nsaids, I've decided to avoid them entirely. I lived on Aleve prior to the TKR, but alas, those days are over.

Swelling is just the *gift that keeps on giving," isn't it? I only did two, very short errands today, no home exercises, not even a real walk, oh, and I emptied the DW. In other words, big whoop, right? Very low-key in terms of activity. Tonight? The swelling has returned. I've been icing and elevating for several hours now; pffft!
 
Your cookies sound yummy! I had a breakdown last night and made a batch myself!! I have been on Naproxen twice a day for many years. My OS put me on Celebrex for a month after each surgery and then went back to Naproxen. I was trying to see if there was a difference but couldn't tell. My Rheumatologist wrote me for Celebrex yesterday to try again instead of Naproxen just to see if it helps the swelling at all and to compare the two once again. I haven't been on any for the last week due to the manipulation this morning. Oh my goodness am I feeling it. I'm in pre-op now and they just gave me 20 of OxyContin. I should sleep forever with that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh dear...
Wish we had a group hug smiley for you.
But you know, it's ok to cry out of frustration. It really is.
Huge hugs
 
Thanks, friends. Just burst into tears for no real reason.....ugh. I hate this part of the recovery. I am firecely
independent and this being at home, dependent on DH etc has finally gotten to me. I know it will pass.... just having a tough time until it does.... this might be a good time for a glass of wine.

On a positive note, PT measured ROM at 110 today ( 3 wks out yesterday)
Extension at 114. Can't have it all....
Only 1 cm difference in knees...so swelling is going down nicely
 
Everyone hits that dark mountain at a different time. You're clearly doing what you need to with that wonderful ROM. Hoping tomorrow is a better day and in a few weeks you'll be able to take on some things around the house.
 
@KarriB Thanks. I know.... sometimes it is just plain TOUGH.
I've been thinking about extension and susupect it is slow to come around because that knee has given me trouble for 7 yrs and I had begun to limp on it...probably not extending fully for some time.... what do you think?
 
I expect you are right. Seven years of muscles held a certain way probably means it is going to take a while to straighten out. I feel for you. This middle time is tough and I think we might expect too much too fast just because we are so tired of being limited. My sister did this two years before me and she keeps telling me hang on, it will get better. It took her a little over 3 months to get 0 extension, but she got there. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.
 
Back
Top Bottom