TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Extention comes last for lots of people. I think I told you (but may have been another thread) that I let my leg stretch/bridge between the chair I sat on and the ottoman I elevated on. I did this a few times a day. My left natural knee doesn't have the extention my RTKR has and lefty has been painful longer than righty. I can feel the difference when I'm standing at the bathroom vanity especially.

Later in recovery you can add time to walking per the Activity progression for TKRs which is really good for extention. Walking stretches out those muscles and helps with extention.

But most importantly, you shouldn't worry about it, especially at 3 weeks post op. It'll come, but in its own good time. Remember, you're just 3 weeks into a year long recovery. You can do this, Helen! You're a TKR warrior!
 
Well, Helen, I hear you girlfriend! The irony is that when we have great progress it can also lead to great frustration. When it seems to me that my recovery is going quickly, I secretly imagine being totally recovered. Then a smack in the face! My head says, "Why no, you're not even close to being self sufficient, Sara."

The hospital PT told me to focus on moving when I'm moving - ignore the conversation, the doorbell ringing, the phone buzzing, and pay attention to how I'm walking. This was easy advice to follow at first, but at this point it's way easier get distracted. That's when missteps happen. Join me in my mantra for the day: slow and steady wins the race. Patience is a virtue......

Love, Sara
 
@Happydale You are right on target! I read my post on Facebook from 2 yrs ago today and realize how far ahead I am this time. I was still having home PT, had only left the house once for a short ride and was still using the walker. Big difference this time!

It's a new day. I'm going to have a better attitude and slowly work on stretching while walking. I PLAN to tackle the 13 steps down to my art studio. If I do nothing but go down there and SIT, I will at least have had a change of scenery! And who knows, I might even grab a paintbrush....
 
Helen, I'm sorry you had one of those days. It's so easy to become discouraged as we walk this walk to recovery. I've found no two days are usally the same! I loved your "it's a new day" post. I hope you are able to navigate the stairs to get to your studio. I'm sure that is yoyr happy place! Lease pst some of your paintings, we would live to see them! Hugs to you.:friends:
 
It's easy to forget how hard and long this recovery can be. Frustration with our inability to do what we want and be our old selves can set in. But you're right today is a new day! I'm sure some painting therapy would do you good. Can you sketch while elevating?
 
@KarriB Yes, I can sketch while elevating because I am limited in my angle by S1, L5 OA. Unfortunately, all of my art supplies are downstairs and I shudder to think what DH would bring up! :heehee: I've showered and dressed
( yes, makeup, too :wink:) and plan to tackle the stairs after lunch. That way, I can spend more time down there!
DH has agreed to attend his Trout Unlimited mtg tonite ( after I emailed his fishing buddy and begged him to make him go! ) and I have promised to stay put! Hurrahhhh!

I feel as though I've been liberated! :happydance:
 
Good luck with the stairs Helen -- slow and steady makes for safe stair walking. One of my best friends is also a true "southern lady" -- we knew she was feeling better after her THR when she put make-up on to go to the bathroom in the hospital ("what if Mr. Right comes by - I have to be looking my best"). It is also nice when our hovercraft helpers give us a little freedom. They are so necessary in the first days, mean well, and provide tremendous support and it is nice when we reach that milestone of being able to stay home alone :yes:
 
It's greatly liberating to get some alone time. Stairs are a pain early on, but little by little we get back our ability to go up and down them while carrying essential objects. Like coffee. Or laptops. Or painting supplies.
 
Helen -I hope you made it down the stairs and are busy creating! It will definitely be therapy for your mind and soul to take your mind off of your knee for however long you can last in your studio.
Would love to see a picture of your art!
 
I did it! :wave: I went downstairs to my studio! Stairs were no problem, obviously NOT foot over foot. But, down and back up! Spent about 1 1/2 hrs down there, painted a little, sorted some things, made an order for my printer ( he will be happy to have me pay his rent this month!) and POOPED OUT! :bored: But, I came back up with lots to think about other than knees!

I appreciate your interest, but I do not think it appropriate to show or advertise my work here. If you want to send me a personal message/email on BS, I will be happy to tell you how you can see my watercolors.

Just your support for going down and back up AND spending time in my "happy place" is invaluable! :loveshwr:
 
Those blues just come out of nowhere for no reason. I'd be sitting and watching TV or reading and all of a sudden the tears would come. For no reason! Then they'd disappear just as fast!
 
Yeah for you Helen!!!:loveshwr: Glad you were able to have some "normal" time today. You, and the other BS artists, have inspired me to go outside & paint ....my toenails :wink:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Saturday! I'm "supervising" weed pulling in my flower beds today.
Meeting of the ODIC at my house tonite! See you there!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!
    IMG_2129.GIF
    276.6 KB · Views: 217
Happy Saturday to you too, Helen. I'm afraid i'll have to decline your invitation to the ODIC meeting tonight. I got up with Liam (the dog) at 6:30 to give hubby a break as he did all the driving yesterday in lightning and heavy rainstorms, 2-1/4 hours each way and an outdoor play in between. it's almost 9:30, hubby is up and making himself pancakes as we have buttermilk leftover from 2 homemade chocolate cakes in the last couple of weeks and no regular milk left and i think i'm ready to go back to bed. just been asked to make the coffee before i head off. oh i just re-read your post and you said you are "supervising" the weed pulling lol. good for you. hopefully you won't be a part of the ODIC tonight, just hosting it. are you making some of those cookies ~ maybe i will make it.:fasthorse:
 
Where are you supervising from? I hope it's a chair with your leg up...:bignono:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OH, MY! What a morning! @KarriB "Supervising" from a little old school chair on the front sidewalk! But, limited to 10 min at a time, then back to ice and elevating! I've used my cane quite effeciently to point out weeds! Lol!

Then DH came running up the hill and around the house screaming and swatting at a swarm of bees whose nest he had accidently disturbed! He was stung multiple times and ran thru the garage and into the house! Several bees came with him, so here I was with my cane and a fly swatter hitting him and swatting at the bees all around the bathroom. If he had not been so upset and hurting so badly, it would have been comical! Just thinking about it now makes me laugh! I covered him in Caladryl and he took 2 Benedryl AFTER I killed the bees.

The knee held up fine, but as I assured Karri, I am icing and elevating between checks on the 2 of them!
I hope the rest of the day is uneventful!

Oh, yes, and we scouted out the best viewing location for the eclipse ( since we are in the line for totality for the longest time) and it is directly behind our garage on the pavement! Bring your chairs and join us!
 
Sounds like fun - ODIC tonight and eclipse in another week. Maybe we should just move in for a week and help with the weed pulling. We have a wasp nest in the wood pile and have had to bundle up to stack the newly split logs - may have get brave, find the nest, and get rid of it -- can't see it from the front. Don't want any bees in the house for sure. That must have been comical - hope your hubby will be ok from the stings.
 
Oh no, that bee scene is my worst nightmare! How brave of you to swat them dead. And in your condition no less. I know how hard it is to maintain a sympathetic face when you're cracking up inside. Hope he's feeling better by now. And I hope your ODIC club meeting can be cancelled for tonight!
 
Back
Top Bottom