TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Helen, sign me up for your Travel Blog ASAP! Seriously, I love travel blogs and documentaries. Sig me up for the Belgian Waffles, wine, stew and wine as well. Did I say wine? Yes, I believe I did; hah!

We've not traveled as much as I would've liked for various reasons over the years, primarily family obligations, aka "Mom had Alzheimer's," but hope to make up for this lack in retirement. At this point, I'll go anywhere, provided the food is good and the beds are comfortable; hah! We have spent a lifetime boating, so I'm not sure if we'd enjoy a cruise or not; we like to operate the boat.:snork:
 
I envy all your travel, Helen. I've been retired 5 years, and haven't traveled nearly as much as I had envisioned (partly the knees, partly taking care of aged parents). Hearing about your trips makes me excited about finishing this recovery. Hope your swelling has subsided.
 
Ok BS friends. I don't write a travel BLOG because I do not wish to share with the world. I write emails each day while we travel and post those when we have wifi. I have about 75 friends ( and friends of my daughter) who travel with us this way. If you would like to get on my email list, send me a message via BS with your email. I started doing this when my daugnter said I would never remember all the details when we got home ( she was right!) and would I please write it down each day for her so she would not miss anything! Then her friends found out and she was forwarding all the emails to them....
We are both retired and have no living parents, so we have enjoyed the ability to travel at will. We have not traveled in 3 years because of my knees then recovery. So, @Happydale I also look forward to recovery and more travel!

PT was OK. The swelling is still with me. PT thinks it is tendons. I've iced all day. This might be a pain pill night. It is what it is.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Thesoutherncook I spent hours last night getting caught up on your thread. My second TKR is tomorrow and it was encouraging to see how well you are doing. I need to get on that travel email list, too. :hi:
 
@sandi4213 Thanks! All the best tomorrow! My second was totally different protocol from the first, new OS, different hospital, different city, outpatient and out for PT the next day. It was all good! Just knowing what to expect ( and what NOT to expect! ) makes the 2nd journey much easier. I'll be watching for your posts after surgery!
 
Helen,
Why don't you start a thread in the social room to post you updates about your vacation.
Only members will see your posts.
 
3 week "kneeversary" report:
I am walking with a cane ( when I don't walk off and leave it! )
can put on and take off shoes and socks ( and underwear! )
helping with simple meal prep
icing and elevating whenever sitting ( although L5 and S1 degeneration prevent high elevation)
stretching and a few heel slides between 3x wk outpatient PT
Have no idea of numbers b/c my PT is about ADL, not numbers ( bless him! )
Have taken 3 pain pills in the past week. Tylenol takes care of most needs.
Stomach is back to normal and appetite is returning
Life is good!
 
Helen, this is a wonderful Week 3 report! Huzzah! For me, the shoes, socks and underwear were real moments of glory, lol! FWIW, I share the L5-S1 degeneration and couldn't elevate with three pillows either. I could use 3 or the Lounge Doc while lying flat in bed, but not sitting in a chair or on my sofa; ouch! I can, and still do use 2, firm pillows and it definitely does get the toes above the hips without creating back pain. Toes above nose is for others; hah!
 
Helen- great 3 week report! So glad to hear you are doing so well. My DH and I share your passion for travelling and I look forward to doing more after this recovery. I will look for your travel postings in the Social Room or will PM you with my email address. Always looking for recommendations and will share some of mine as well if you like.
Pegi
 
Helen, what a great report. You are doing wonderful. I'm amazed by only 3 pain pills last week. I'm down to 3 a day, lol. I too have back problems and I haven't been able to use the lounge doctor pillow I purchased. Every time I try my leg goes numb.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well at 3 weeks out! Love the Pt focus on ADL rather than #s. And forgetting the cane is always a sign of progress.

Re: the question about Celebrex. Yes, I was given a Rx for Celebrex "for post-op inflammation." I was already taking it, although not consistently, for the inflammation of arthritis pain--it's the only NSAID I can tolerate. I'm eager to stop taking it. I've been inconsistent with it this round of recovery--I suspect that ice is more effective than the Celebrex for swelling.
 
@gertie I took Celebrex for 10 yrs UNTIL January 2017 when my stomach rebelled and my GI took me off of it. However, the OS prescribed it, IF tolerated. I decided yesterday when swelling increased unexpectedly to try it again for a few days. We'll see how it goes....I have other orthopedic issues that will welcome the Celebrex.
I was curious to see if others had seen any benefit to TKR from it.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom