TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

@Pheebs52 When we travel, I write a daily journal with pics ( of food and sites! ) and email back to friends who "travel" with me . You'll have to get on that list for our next trip!

Yeah, I'm thinking for food it's Italy, hands down! But,we have wanted to do British Isles for a while. And we've been to Italy twice, once on a Med cruise and then on an independent driving trip through Tuscany. And, yes! The food was outstanding - as well as the wine!
 
@nensi We had some wonderful food in Brugge also! Oh, those mussels!!! And a slow cooked pot of " stew" served with frites in a local restaurant....we strive for local places off the tourist path!
 
I Highly Recommend Italy as a food and wine destination! And Cinque Terre is spectacular. We have rented villas north and south, on the coast and inland. My favourite spot is still Positano on the Amalfi coast!
France and Spain are also great food and wine destinations. The UK not so much!! It offers other things to see and do but neither food nor wine were worthy of a food tour!
 
@Canada35 I agree! We've also been to Positano, but not stayed there. It was gorgeous!

I keep telling DH that if it is good food he wants, move away from UK! Lol! I think that is why he was leaning toward a cruise around...thinking that might have more dining options.
 
Italy sounds lovely. We also love to eat new foods and are pretty adventurous about trying new cultures. Nothern Italian is home cooking for me though. I'm half Italian and my grandmother who taught me to cook owned a restuarant until she retired when I was in my late teens. My cousin runs it now. I have lived in the south most of my adult life but grew up on Chicago Italian food. I could make homemade ravioli before I was 10 but never made a pot of beans until after I was married. I never tasted fried green tomatoes until I was an adult either but they are a favorite now. I'd love a chance to learn in Italy. Italy has so many different regions and cuisines. One of my friends is Sicilian and while I love her cooking, it is nothing like what a grew up on.
 
@Jajakio What a wonderful Italian heritage! You might want to take a look at my friend's cooking schools in Tuscany. I can send the info in a message, if you would like. I've making tried ravioli,but not successfully.

I grew up in AL on true Southern food but rarely cook that way now as we much prefer Mediterranean type recipes. That being said, I baked a Peach Cobbler last night! :heehee: I ( and DH) was glad I could stand up long enough to get it ready for the oven! Of course, it was the " easy method".
 
@Thesoutherncook you did choose some goodies in Bruges! Did you eat those frites with mayo and drink one of the delicious beers? And did you try any of the dishes with endive? Also a national treasure right up there with white asparagus !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
all this talk of food and travel ~ motivates me to get my new knee working better. on one of our girls' vacations a couple years ago, went to Costa Rica. On the way back from an excursion (where we had wild monkeys climb all over us in a boat in the jungle and we were told not to move or touch them...it was wonderful, they are so soft) we stopped at a local open air restaurant and had some of the best food i've every had ~ cooked outdoors right in front of us. haha i could probably say that about any place i've been but that was memorable. hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday.
 
@nensi Our Scottish friends were with us, so Andrew was the official beer taster! Sheena and I stuck to wine and DH does not drink at all. We ate wonderful foods....including those yummy Belgian waffles with ice cream and chocolate sauce for mid morning snack! Lol! No endive. Must go back!!!
 
That is my goal once the knee(s) is better. We have always loved going new places. And the last 5 years have been rough with my knee slowly deteriorating. My goal is to lose more weight, be more active and get back to where I was before knee problems. I want to ride a bike, hike and go where I want without worrying if I can walk far enough to do what I want. We went to Belize several years ago before the knee got bad and had lovely time. The best empanadas I ever had were in a farmers market in a tiny mountain town that looked like somewhere Indiana Jones would have stopped off to buy supplies. We swam in waterfalls, hiked in the woods, snorkled, climbed pyramids and maybe by next spring or summer we can do it again.
 
Ugh! Swelling last night and today. Feels like dragging around a dead weight! Headed to GENTLE PT.
No idea where this sudden onset of swelling has come from....I did not intentionally visit ODIC.:cry:
 
I visited Scotland for 6 weeks and stayed with my family. My uncle suggested getting a map and highlighting everywhere we went. We actually went to every area except the border country and John O'Groats. I loved my time there and cried when it was time to leave. It's just so beautiful! Fort William, Inverness, Ayr, Edinburgh, Glasgow, but the Isle of Skye was my favorite spot.

My aunt and uncle in Scotland tried to live in the US ages ago and my parents were their sponsors, but they missed Scotland too much.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom