TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Pssst, Helen, tell me, did the nerve ablation work? I was considering it for my lumbar spine.
 
Helen, looking great indeed !
And off all of the heavy duty pain meds already !
The last two nights I have also only taken Tylenol with mixed feelings results - not so much discomfort but it took longer to fall asleep and also woke up more frequently to put on ice/ take off ice/ rearrange the pillows / throw off the pillows/ get up to pee.....etc etc
Good that you see PT as an opportunity to socialize !
 
Since several commented on TKR # 1 ( aka Buddy, as in " Lets get moving Buddy! ") Im posting a close up...
As you will see, after 2 yrs, the scar is a very thin ( although crooked :wink:) line, hardly noticeable.
I hope this makes you feel more encouraged!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!
    image1.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 139
Buddy looks very fine! I don't think mine will ever look that nice, but a girl can dream. :praying:
 
My legs look similar. But only one very pinkish red scar.
I went "swimming" last week and noticed a few people looking at my scar as I carefully climbed into the thermal whirlpool pool...but then again, I was noticing other people's scars.
...and some have tatoos around their scars. Augh!
 
Helen, I'll be thrilled if my *Buddy* look like that eventually! Mine isn't a straight line either, but it was intentional for reasons I forget.:SUNsmile:
 
@VW54, just curious if the tatoos made them look better or worse, lol! I'm 99% certain I would never consider ink, but the thought crossed my mind during the first few, hazy weeks, lol.
 
Why don't you post it in the "scars" thread Helen ?
If the admins ever decide to have Semi-annual prizes, I'm sure your Buddy would earn a "Best in Class" !
 
@VW54 hmmmmm..... maybe temp tatoos just for TKR? JUST KIDDING! I read your posts about the heat, the car and the " spa"- bless your heart! When it rains, it pours! I hope you soon have it all sorted out! Ugh!!!

I find myself ( and DH) watching strangers' gait and guessing knee or hip?? And I ( who talks to everyone anyway :wink:) have had many conversations with total strangers about knees and shoulders ( having had rotator cuff surgery, too!)

We just finished off lunch with a Belgium dark chocolate truffle and I thought of both you and Nensi! You are so fortunate to live where even everyday food is gourmet! When we traveled to both countries, we bought grocery market chocolates ( in addition to the handmade ones) and they far surpassed even our " gourmet" ones! And I won't even begin a discussion of the difference in wine! Funny story....once our flight home out of CDG was cancelled. DH looked at me and said, " All I have in my carryon is chocolate and coffee!" Thankfully, we got our checked bags back for the night. :rofsign:
 
@nensi I did post in scars, too. Don't think Buddy will win any prizes, but I did hope he would give encouragement! He was a booger! Swelled like a basketball! And was angry all the time! Completely different from this knee. My darling grand daughter suggested I should name this knee Em-a-knee ( her name is Emmie). I think I shall since it has been such a sweeheart in comparison!
 
@Pheebs52 Yes, the nerve ablation worked. I was having headaches that felt like someone had hit me in the back of the head with a 2x4! They did an inj as a trial ( to satisfy insurance) to see if it would actually work. Then I went back for the " real thing". Recovery was more painful than I expected ( sorry, but have to be honest as I was not prepared for this part) but it was a success! They say it should last at least a year and maybe more.
When I went back at 4 wks, I had a lot of tightness and pain in my neck and the dr gave me an inj for that. So, happy to report, no neck pain no headaches.
 
Oh Helen, you're killing me with all this talk of Belgian chocolate and fine wine, lol. In my case, I think perhaps it's good that I don't live over there....so much temptation for this girl!:heehee:

A Swiss friend of mine who sadly passed away about 5 years ago, used to go home frequently and always stocked up on chocolate. She was a wonderful cook and made the best chocolate mousse I've ever had, and I've had a LOT, hahaha!
 
One more travel tidbit, then I'll shut up..... we were in Paris for 10 days eating our way through the city, when DH says " Oh, my! I must be losing weight! My pants are falling off!" At that moment, I hated him.:arrow:

In case it is not abundantly clear, we travel to eat. It is our philosophy that this is the best way to immerse ourselves in the culture of the country. :heehee: We are already beginning to talk about travel possibilities for post recovery!!

And, in the words of Forrest Gump, "that is all I have to say about that."
 
Thanks for that info Helen. I've had quite a few epidural injections and they do help, but typically only for a month or two. I don't care for the long-term steroid side-effects, so ablation was suggested as a longer term *fix,* but for some reason, I chickened out at the last minute. Maybe that's when my meniscus tore! However, today, it sounds like a good idea; pfft! It's often difficult for me to determine (and the doctors as well) whether or not my bionic hip is giving me pain or my crumbling spine. I lean toward the spine since the hip is only 5 years old.

BTW, I've also had a torn rotator cuff; fun, eh? Mine was many years ago, but I still remember it in great detail; ugh!
 
Where to next then Helen? Planning a post-recovery food-fest, whoops, I mean *trip* sounds like great fun!
 
@Pheebs52 Looking at British Isles...maybe a cruise around..we have friends in Scotland, so perhaps a stopover with them. Then, we also have discussed a food trip to Italy- specifically Cinque Terre with a friend who is a cookbook author and has a B & B in Tuscany. She takes small groups to the local producers then they cook together..and EAT! DH has no desire to cook, but he LOVES the eating part!

And, after watching a PBS show recently, looked at Wild Irish Tours!
 
Back
Top Bottom