The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the surgery on Monday and went intom theatre with alll of my questions answered and concerns addressed. like you however, my first appointment was short and sweet. The consultant looked at an xray, said you need a TKR and filled out the paperwork.

The questions i had were answered throughout the process of appointments and classes even up to the day of the surgery when i met the surgeon, aneathatist, nursing staff in succession. I went into the theatre fully in the picture, if i hadnt been, the plug can be pulled at any point.

This process and progresion seems to be the way the NHS works. The consultant diagnoses, plans, operates and checks his handywork after. He left the rest of his team to offer advice and support. This may not feel right but the consultant seems to have done an incredible job and taken into consideration all factors including my age, general health, job, family, my wishes etc. I guess it is better that the surgeon has spent his time and energy in the right places and i get a great result. His surgical team were great, well informed, extremely knowledgable and very approachable so all in all the bases were covered.
 
Thanks Noddy,

I hope you're doing well in your recovery.

I had my pre-op on Tuesday and that included meeting the orthopaedic team, and a talk about the whole process, and a session with a nurse after, during which the majority of questions I had got answered; so I've calmed down a lot! They were all very nice which is reassuring. As you say, it's all about understanding the process. I've never had to go into hospital before so all of this is new to me.

All in all I really can't complain as things are progressing quite a lot faster than I had originally anticipated.

Keep taking the tablets and all that - you should know the rules :biggrin:.
 
Hi Phoenixx29

Just catching up with your thread and wanted to say good luck with all your planning and organising. The next few weeks will go by so quick and before you know it your date will be here. It's really good they have seen you so quick with your pre-op and have explained what's involved - that's all good for calming the nerves. If you have any questions for us - just fire away and we shall do our best to advise.

Take care and keep us posted :thumb:
 
Looks like we'll be going through this together. Well, I'll be a little ahead, though, I'll be doing only one knee. I haven't had my pre-op anything yet but am expecting notification of it soon.
 
Phoenixx29,
Glad that things are moving along well. There's sooo much going on during those pre-surgery days and weeks. It seemed, to me, way too busy at times. Preparation is an important part of the experience (here to the other side and further down the road). We have a good group of friends here to help us along the various steps in the journey. :friends:

As for playing the organ, I haven't been back to church yet. Sitting in one place (even with my leg up on a pew) for longer than 10-15 minutes would be too much. At least it was that way when I tried playing a few hymns (manuals only with no pedals) on our organ at home one day last week. I'm tentatively planning to go to church this next Sunday and try sitting in a pew in the back. I can always get up and go to the parish hall if my knee/leg protest too much. We'll see from there.

Glad that you'll be able to work at home until you can manage "going" to work. It helps to have a good support system at work. :thumb:
 
So, I have now met the surgeon which I was allocated for a speedier surgery. He seems very personable, and took his time to answer my questions. I certainly found him very approachable. It turns out that apparently Mr Allum now mainly does soft tissue repairs, the bulk of "standard" TKRs - if you can call them this - are carried out by the other surgeons at the hospital. Although Mr Raza is listed as a general orthopaedic surgeon, the majority of the operations he carries out are TKRs, has done over 100 so far this year (which seems like a pretty good rate to me) and this is consistent what the nurse told me during the pre-op. So, I am starting to run out of objections, and unless I get advised differently by my rheumatologist next Monday (which seems unlikely at this stage), I will have my first TKR on the 13th of June....

I am more or less ready and set up and organised - will probably get a wedge cushion for convenience as I don't think I can be bothered with lots of pillows.....and that's all the major shopping done.

Time is passing incredibly fast and I am getting the odd attack of nerves now - that can only get worse I expect. Someone at work today said it was scary to think that June is just round the corner and I just said - yeah - tell me about it :th_heehee:. Only a month now till my last day at work - which will fly by as there's loads going on.:sigh:
 
Although Mr Raza is listed as a general orthopaedic surgeon, the majority of the operations he carries out are TKRs, has done over 100 so far this year (which seems like a pretty good rate to me) and this is consistent what the nurse told me during the pre-op.
Care in choice of surgeon is good. If the nurses in the hospital where he works say he's good, I'd say that's the best endorsement possible, they know what these guys are about.
 
You know, it sounds funny to our (my) ears to refer to a Dr. Soandso as Mr. Soandso, which reminds me that in Germany, PHDor MD, if someone had two degrees, they would be called Doctor Doctor Soandso. Just a little side color.
 
I know, Janet - here's a little fact about myself - I'm German :biggrin:. So I find it really difficult to address a consultant with "Mr." - I keep telling myself - mustn't call him "Dr" or he could get upset :th_heehee:. I have to concentrate really hard before I address someone who's a doctor - but not a Dr, if you get my drift. Or perhaps as surgeons they are not regarded as doctors? I think someone on here tried to explain it once. But after over 20 years in this country I still don't get it!

I think you posted somewhere that you used to live in Germany - whereabouts did you stay?
 
Or perhaps as surgeons they are not regarded as doctors? I think someone on here tried to explain it once.
It's just a tradition; surgeons used once not to be doctors at all -- nowadays they are extra-qualified doctors and 'Mr' is an extra honourific, over and above 'Dr'.
!
 
And now I will be even more worried about calling a "Mr" "Dr" by mistake for fear of causing offence! :th_heehee:
 
Hi, sounds a bit like my surgeon and doctor. Can't walk more than 100yds now. Doc doesn't agree with knee op. Seen surgeon twice this time last year. Both agreed not ready then said he could do partial knee, total knee or washout, what did I want! I'm no surgeon, did not know. Went back this 31 April, took xrays, started filling forms, asked if any questions, asked what is best, said I'm having full knee replacement on 16 May! A bit stunned! Said will see me again, next year will do other. So going in to tomorrow Park Hill Doncaster. ricbak
 
Good luck for tomorrow Rikbak - that certainly went quickly for you! At least you didn't have months of worry waiting for the surgery. Hope all goes well for you!
 
Yes, 3 weeks - that's all its took! Hope it's 3 weeks all better. Hoping! ricbak1
 
More like 3 months, Rick. Don't fall for that over-optimistic nonsense!
 
Hi, sounds a bit like my surgeon and doctor. Can't walk more than 100yds now. Doc doesn't agree with knee op. Seen surgeon twice this time last year. Both agreed not ready then said he could do partial knee, total knee or washout, what did I want! I'm no surgeon, did not know. Went back this 31 April, took xrays, started filling forms, asked if any questions, asked what is best, said I'm having full knee replacement on 16 May! A bit stunned! Said will see me again, next year will do other. So going in to tomorrow Park Hill Doncaster. ricbak

RICBAK1, hope that you're doing better "on the other side" now. I'm 6 weeks out. Jo is right -- give yourself several months. Full recovery is usually one year -- so everyone says. The energy level -- even at 6 weeks -- drops FAST, and it's best to follow the group mantra "elevate, ice, rest, pain meds by the clock, and don't stress". The little accomplishments that we can finally do as the weeks pass help tremendously.

Take care.
 
So, I have now met the surgeon which I was allocated for a speedier surgery. He seems very personable, and took his time to answer my questions. I certainly found him very approachable. It turns out that apparently Mr Allum now mainly does soft tissue repairs, the bulk of "standard" TKRs - if you can call them this - are carried out by the other surgeons at the hospital. Although Mr Raza is listed as a general orthopaedic surgeon, the majority of the operations he carries out are TKRs, has done over 100 so far this year (which seems like a pretty good rate to me) and this is consistent what the nurse told me during the pre-op. So, I am starting to run out of objections, and unless I get advised differently by my rheumatologist next Monday (which seems unlikely at this stage), I will have my first TKR on the 13th of June....

I am more or less ready and set up and organised - will probably get a wedge cushion for convenience as I don't think I can be bothered with lots of pillows.....and that's all the major shopping done.

Time is passing incredibly fast and I am getting the odd attack of nerves now - that can only get worse I expect. Someone at work today said it was scary to think that June is just round the corner and I just said - yeah - tell me about it :th_heehee:. Only a month now till my last day at work - which will fly by as there's loads going on.:sigh:

Phoenixx29, as you've pointed out, the time is going by incredibly fast. There's so much happening with appointments, etc. Anxiety and the reality of the upcoming surgery at some point gave me a new sense of calm and readiness to get to the other side and get better. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.
 
Three weeks into recovery will normally find one in the darker aspects of recovery; three months, well, the light is at the tunnel, so to speak; it will still take some time to reach the end of the tunnel into the daylight, but the focus on the destination tends to be more discernible.
 
3 weeks to go and time is flying...had my rheumatologist appointment, and no objections from my rheumatologist on the surgeon scheduled to operate, so my concerns on that front should be put to bed by now.

Must remember to stock up on chocolate for those "darker" moments!

Hopefully I will find things to distract me - have enough stuff lined up for that in any case. The weather finally got warmer - with a bit of luck we'll get a better summer than last year and I can recover in my garden. Watching the neighbours kittens fool around should keep me entertained. And perhaps my cat will decide to keep me company!

I think I've hit a turning point in my outlook - I have started to think about the "after" rather than the surgery (I must admit I avoid anything too graphic about the procedure), such as "this time next year I won't need a walking stick" (I hope!), or I should be able to do my shopping without supporting myself on the trolley etc....Most importantly - I should be able to get on a plane and see my family - which I haven't been able to do in over 5 years....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom