The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoenixx29, I have reopened your original thread and merged it with the one you started today. If you want a title change, just let us know.
 
Thanks Judy.

So now I've told everyone this is becoming more and more real.....There was a lot of screaming and hugging at my office but once the news had sunk in the questions started of how long I am going to be off for LOL. I had hoped that finally I would not have the continuous questions about my knee to deal with anymore. Wrong. Now I get the constant comments about how I'm going to be running the marathon next yearand all that :sigh: . One of these days my knees won't be the number one topic of conversation! :) .

Had my first panic attack yesterday. If I had any doubts about this a couple of weeks ago there now is no question that I must get this done. My left knee has now given up completely - the last steriod injection has finally worn off. So now I just have to make it through the next three weeks and 2 days...
 
I have a question. You said they made your nickle free implants. How did they know what size to make for you? I thought they had all sizes in the operating room & fit each person as they went along. I didn't know they could tell what size you would need before cutting the knee open to see the bone.
 
Many implant manufacturers have custom cutting guides created for each individual surgery. These are made following MRI or other imaging. This helps determine sizing before TKR. Not sure how the process works in the UK, but it's pretty common here.
 
Hi, Funny how we can't wait to get our new knees then,when we are close we are so excited and having panic attacks at the same time. You'll be fine. :kittykiss:

(remember to remind me of that statement when it's my turn):whistle:
 
hi scareinca - they sized the implants by X-rays. You are right in saying that normally there would be a choice of sizes, but that's only for the standard stainless steel ones. The titanium ones are more expensive so they don't keep a choice of sizes and they have to be custom made- which is why I had to wait for so long. If I had been able to go through my private health insurance (unfortunately I'm not covered for TKR due to pre-existing condition) they would probably have done an MRI - but the National Health Service won't pay for that. So I have to hope that all is well and the implants fit!
 
It is scary having to go through this. It took me a long time to come to terms with having to have BTKR. I have never had an operation ever and hate the idea of spare parts being implanted into my body - plus the thought of how it's done....Eventually I had to realise it was either this or the wheelchair. No contest there. So now I try to focus on the after, ie. things I should be able to do that I can't do now. Which is a lot. Now that my left knee has finally given up I just about get to work and walk around the office. I spent ages making lists and ticking things of. I got a whole library of books to read on my Kindle (people laugh at me for that - I have about 1100 books to choose from :) ), got myself a Lovefilm subscription so I don't have to take the pain of daytime TV andI have stopped worrying about the what ifs and try to focus on the positives. I admit I did have a bit of a panic attack the other day, but I got over that. I'm sure it won't be the last!
Hang in there and vent if you're feeling the strain - people on here understand and there's always someone to help.:flwrysmile:

[Bonesmart.org] The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(
Phoenixx29, I applaud you for facing up to your fears and misgivings about BTKR and deciding to accentuate the positive and concentrate on the life you will be able to have after your surgery and recovery. You have every right to be very proud of yourself for being able to take this giant step.

And you're right---there will always be someone here to listen and to help and to cheer you on. I will be following your recovery after your surgery with great care and interest.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(
 
Thanks for your kind words Judy.

Time is flying by now. I have next week off work - thank goodness for that - the last couple of weeks have been a real struggle. My left knee is giving me a lot of trouble. I'm a bit worried about taking too many pain killers this close to the operation though. I have my pre-assesment next week, plus meeting the anaethetist. It's starting to feel real now. Then, when I'm back at work on the 13th, I can say that I'm getting my new knees the following week! Someone decided that we should have a "going away to have my knees done" party at work. I guess the cakes will be on me :) .

My cat is not happy that he's not allowed on my lap (he claws through my clothes). Apparently sleeping on a cushion on my lap is not an acceptable alternative. Sleeping draped around my neck and shoulders, however, is. It is irrelevant that this renders me virtually immobile. I suspect it is my punishment!

I will need to get my shopping list for the last big grocery shop before the operation sorted, which I will have to get delivered. I want to be sure I have what I need as my husband is not great on doing a "proper" shop. This should make it easier for him as well for the first week or so looking after me.

Everyone is surprised that I am still in such good spirits about it - I thing it's more a case of denial :) ...2 1/2 weeks to go.....
 
my husband is not great on doing a "proper" shop
Hmm. Is it his usual area of responsibility? If it isn't then I'm not surprised. What works for me is one or other or a combination of:-

1. Checklist. Do we need this, yes, buy it.
2. List. Buy this.
 
Lol- he doesn't "do" lists. He does most of the day to day shopping and has gotten pretty good at it. But when it comes to planning ahead ..... so I do one big on line shop every now and then to fill the store cupboard up and he will top up as and when. I think it's great getting someone else doing the running around in the shop and just having to deal with the unpacking when the food gets delivered to the door! I hate wasting time in the supermarket.

I just had to have one of my extra strong painkillers - my knee is screaming at me this morning. At least I will be in a warm and fuzzy place in a moment :) . I wish I didn't have to fall back on those this close to surgery, but needs must.
 
Pre-op today, appointment with the anethesist over and done with, so it looks as though it's all going according to plan now. I'm definitely booked in for bilateral. I can't believe it's only two weeks now! I'm totally wiped out and my knees just want to rest now.

On the downside, I've been told I can't wear my Crocs! I couldn't believe it - apparently they are not safe enough. So I had to order another pair of shoes. Got myself some nice purple moccassins - online of course as I can't get round the shops - hopefully they will be OK.

I was told I can take paracetamol, which is a relief as it does take the edge of the pain a bit.

Oh, and I've lost two inches in height as I can't straighten my legs properly - I'm hoping to get those back!

And now the countdown begins for real - I just hope there will be no more setbacks; I dont' think I could deal with another cancellation.
 
I posted this on another thread but you may not have seen it. I was chatting with a guy one day who had a BTNR. He said it was the best move he ever made. He said," My legs we so bowed you could shoot a cannon between my legs and not hit either one". After surgery he gained well over an inch in height so I imagine you will too

Men shopping:yikes: I remember one Christmas my mom had just gotten home after spinal surgery and Dad did the grocery shopping. He came home with a 25 pound turkey that wouldn't fit in the roasting pan! This was for a family of four! Then there was the treats, we were the two happiest, most hyper kids in town.:dancy: I would suggest you stock up now!:rotfl:
 
12 days to go....

I booked a few more days holiday as I really can't face going into work the way my knees play up right now; technically I could probably get the doctor to sign me off, but then he will probably sign me off for the remaining time, and I still need to do some "house-keeping" at work and have a handover meeting with my colleague who is going to cover for me while I'm away. I don't think it's fair to just disappear....Plus the thought of going to the surgery is putting me off as well - I just don't want to go anywhere right now as it is too painful. And there's the cakes everyone is expecting. So now I have to go into work next Thursday/Friday, the weekend to rest, work Monday/Tuesday and then it's the big day!

On the subject of husbands going shopping - My Way - yep, that could have been my husband with the 25 lb turkey! Lesson learned for today: when your husband declares he's going to pop to the shop, and you ask him to buy "some" cereal bars, be specific about the quantity, or he'll come back with 6 boxes. At least he bought a selection!

I'm feeling really apprehensive today and must stop visualising the procedure and keep focussing on the outcome. I just hope it will all be worth it!
 
I'm feeling really apprehensive today and must stop visualising the procedure and keep focussing on the outcome. I just hope it will all be worth it!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

It will be different from the first day. There will be pain, but IMO it's quite a different kind. It's not injury-pain without limit, it's healing-pain that will get better.
he'll come back with 6 boxes.
:) You know how goal-oriented us blokes are, he'd rather overdo than underdo.

You tell a girlfriend how bad you feel, she will agree with you and say yes isn't it terrible etc etc. Your male acquaintance will skip all that (nonsense) and go straight to suggestions as to how to fix things.

By the same token, your husband will now be on the starting blocks to help you. But he may try too hard "I'll just help you bend that knee a bit more...", and may not fully be aware that you are the General sitting in the chair, he is the Gofer. Clear directions needed.
 
Wow what a saga - we have that in common

I am at the same stage of trying to plan, pack and thing positive. My OS has signed me off to rest more before the surgery although I have stuff to tie upp before my operation. I am also trying to do some days out with the family as our summer holiday has had to be cancelled and the kids have to be back at school mid August

I am also having these very nervous feelings about the procedure and spending the whole summer laid up and in pain :sad: Hoping that it will all be worth it in the although the OS has said he cannot guarantee complete recovery in my case because of the extent of the original injury - however I have few options
 
Congrats on being so close to your new knees, Phoenix!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom