The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's understandable that you would envy those that have made it to the other side, no offense taken after all I remember those very same feelings myself before my surgery.

I was in customer services/sales as well for a time and when you said you feel like a broken record, you made me think of a pregnant woman who is over due and people are always asking, Is it time yet? Did you have it yet? What does the doctor say?, that's gotta drive a person batty! So it looks like you're in the same cycle!:console2:
 
As for surgeons' bedside manner vs skill, I think mine had pretty good bedside manner but leaves most of the patient interaction to his PA and spends most of his time in the OR. I would think surgeons become surgeons because they want the hands on work more than the patient interaction. But I do know he cares b/c when I had that glitch with the femoral block I could tell he was angry that that had happened. I think someone probably got a piece chewed out of her...


My surgeon was a really wonderful person---but what I chose him for was how he "operated" in the operating theater. When I think back to how many times that I saw him in the hospital, and how long each visit was, i was concerned about how he took care of me when I was "out" on the table. That is the important thing. he was and is a nice person who communicates well and is very compassionate, but I wanted the very best to work on my two knees.
 
So, I saw the dermatologist today to get the question of the potential nickel allergy sorted out. She tells me due to the medication I'm on, which suppresses the immune system, it is pointless to due a skin patch test (which they would normally do) as the immune response would be suppressed, and the result would be unreliable. Her recommendation is to play it safe and to go with the nickel free implant, given the reaction I get when I wear earrings which contain nickel. Almost 6 weeks' wait for that :headbang:....I suppose the red tape has now been cut and things should progress. I am to phone the surgeon's office if I have not heard from them within a week or so. This could get interesting. I wonder what else can happen to delay the surgery. Knowing my luck there's a shortage of titanium or something. :).

In a way the whole thing has worked out for the best, as far as my work is concerned - due to holidays/leavers/new starters, we are really stretched to the limits at the moment, they would really struggle if I wasn't there at the moment. So my employers are just a little relieved to have me around at the moment.

And now the waiting continues.....:sigh:.
 
^sounds like the start of a plan.
 
I KNEW this would get more "interesting". What a carry on. So, I still haven't heard from the waiting list office. Having been told to wait for a week by the dermatologist, I gave them a few extra days and called them yesterday. All I got was that "they still have not received clearance". I pointed out that the the dermatologist told me that I should chase if I hadn't heard, and asked if they could find out for me what is going on, and was told - no, they wouldn't know what hospital the dermatologist would have written to. :headbang:. What ever happened to the telephone? E-mail (I happen to know that my surgeon does use e-mail)???? He works from 3 hospitals in the trust - so it should not be that difficult to track him down? Honestly, the attitude of the woman in that office is disgraceful (have had a run in with her before). There is a letter of complaint in the making.

I don't really know what to do next - I found an e-mail for the dermatologist's secretary, e-mailed my query yesterday lunch time - and nothing! Not even an aknowledgement that they will look into it. Unfortunately there is no e-mail address listed for my surgeon, and the only contact number given is for the waiting list office. I don't fancy calling them again as I don't want to end up having an argument. Perhaps I'll wait until the end of the week and try calling again Monday. All letters from that department I have received were at the end of the week, so maybe I will hear this weekend....

The joys of the NHS. And what an irony that for any other condition I would be covered by my private health care.....

This is slowly but surely starting to get to me. I just want this over and done with. :sigh:
 
And my daughter-in-law can't understand why I fear government run health care for the U.S. Medicare is bad enough, but not as difficult as what you're going through. Keep fingers and toes crossed and saying prayers for you.
 
E-mail (I happen to know that my surgeon does use e-mail)???? He works from 3 hospitals in the trust - so it should not be that difficult to track him down? Honestly, the attitude of the woman in that office is disgraceful (have had a run in with her before). There is a letter of complaint in the making.
I don't really know what to do next - I found an e-mail for the dermatologist's secretary, e-mailed my query yesterday lunch time - and nothing! Not even an aknowledgement that they will look into it. Unfortunately there is no e-mail address listed for my surgeon, and the only contact number given is for the waiting list office. :sigh:

Oh my dear, what the runaround you are getting. So sorry!!

A suggestion on getting an email to the surgeon. I have made an educated guess before based on what the other email addys are at an institution.

If you know the secretary's email addy, can you take a guess at what the surgeon or dermatologist might use?

Institutions, hospitals, companies are fairly predictable in keeping with conformity in assigning their email addys. You can take a few guesses and send them out; if they are incorrect you should get the undeliverable notice.
 
Thanks Judy. I don't think that I can blame the NHS on this per se, at the end of the day, the delay has occurred due to the nickel problem, and so far I have been able to get appointments with a specialist well within the 6 weeks window (which is average). The problem is this obnoxious woman in the waiting list office who just cannot be bothered to make a phone call or point me the right direction for me to follow this up myself. I'm sure it's all in hand, as so far the surgeon has been very efficient in dealing with things (not his fault when they decided at the pre-op that a nickel allergy wasn't a problem - he picked up on it when reading the medical notes the week prior to the scheduled op). Overall that I can deal with. But it's just the attitude of this secretary - all I want is a date. I just cannot tolerate rudeness. If it's 2 months down the line, fine, I can live with that, as long as I know, then I can start preparing. Of course, by going private they need to provide a more efficient service and it's easier to make contact. At least I can start practicing patience I suppose :).

Elisea - great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that ! I do it all the time at work....Anyways, had a look and need his first name - now where's that letter I got 3 months ago with his full name on :sigh:....
 
Yes, sometimes getting through the "gatekeeper" is the issue. :(
 
What a fiasco... makes me feel guilty for how easy it was to get mine scheduled and approved... so sorry to hear of all the red tape and nonsense you have had to go thru and hope they give you a date soon!
Hang in there...
 
:sigh: So, here's me still waiting. Managed to get hold of someone during the last week of August - surgeon on holiday. He's back now, and apparently now they are waiting for clearance of the primary care trust to authorise the money for the implants. I really don't know what to make of that - I suppose they could refuse to pay if there's not enough money in the pot? I have no idea how the PCT works, so I am getting a bit worried about all this. And of course, if and when clearance has been received then the implants have to be made....no one can give me any idea of the time scale of all this, but by the looks of it, even if the clearance comes through - I honestly can't see anything happening for me this year.

Oh well, have to practice patience a bit more - might come in handy one day soon...and hopefully the wait will have been worth it.
 
Thanks for the update Phoenix, I was wondering how it was going but didn't want to bug you.

Thought it would sound like "are we there yet, are we there yet, huh huh are we there yet?"

Hang in there, just think of it as the surgeon getting more practice before he does yours. :heehee:
 
Gosh! Just read through this, you have the patience of a saint, I think I'd be a gibbering wreak, never mind the alcoholic/ chocaholic bit! Do hope you get some good news soon, extra thanks for your kind words to me whilst you're coping with this wait. I think I may need to be more realistic!

Sometimes I wish these 'people in high places' would actually get out of their offices and just have a look at what is happening to peoples lives through their inability to 'manage' properly. With due respect to all those working in our great (which it really is most of the time) NHS there are far too many chiefs - who've nothing to do with healthcare - and not enough indians doing the real work.

You're in my thoughts & prayers.
 
Thanks 1Elisea - I just haven't been posting much because this wait is getting a bit tiresome. I'm trying to put a positive spin on it, and in the end, the delay has worked out partly for the better. I do feel that my knees are feeling the strain more and more, so I'm definitely more ready for the op than I was a few months ago. Now, I do like you're spin on this - "the surgeon is getting more practice" :snork: - why didn't I think of that? :rotfl:.

Hilary - the worst bit was getting the surgery cancelled with one week to go, and not knowing what was going on. Now, although the waiting is tedious, as long as I know what the hold up is, I can live with it. It's true though that those administrators in charge just don't consider the impact on peoples lives - to them, we're just numbers. In some respect I am still considering myself lucky, as I have been approved for surgery (fingers crossed that won't change), and I know that there are some people who really struggle to get their doctor or surgeon to agree to TKRs due to their age or weight. So I don't consider myself in a position to complain too much. I will allow myself a bit of a whinge or a rant every now and then though :).
 
[Bonesmart.org] The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(
Absolutely NEVER surrender your right to whine and rant---it is God given and what preserves our sanity!
[Bonesmart.org] The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(
 
Finally an update - of sorts - for me. Have been to see my rheumatologist today and to say he was surprised I hadn't even had one knee done yet is an understatement. So he is going to write to my surgeon to ask what is going on an get the waiting list office to at least give me an update. And the waiting continues.....At least now if I don't hear anything I can fall back on the rheumatology department to put some pressure on. I suppose "if" I do finally get a date I'm more or less ready with not a lot of preparation to do.
 
Yay! Finally the train seems to be moving forward!:yay: Thanks for the update Phoenix, you must be so anxious to get the show on the road my friend!

Stay well and stay positive, good things are about to happen!:friends:
 
Phoenix, sorry for all the delays (more than your share, for sure). Sheesh ! ! ! That is more than frustrating -- %(*(@#% :hairpulling: Glad though that your rheumatologist and his office are going to help with the delay. :beg: Ranting, whining, etc are definitely OK.

Positive thoughts and prayers Thanks for the update. :friends:
 
Hi everyone - I have not been posting recently as I the carry on with my op just carried on and on...but I finally got there. The surgeons secretary phoned last night excitedly to tell me they finally had my implants ready and they have a date for me! 22 May - I am still in shock! After waiting for all this time it was beginning to seem quite unreal and I was beginning to believe it was never going to happen. They have also offered to do both knees together now. I wasn't sure last night, but, having slept on it I have decided to go for it. But the fear factor has gone through the roof!

My original thread has been locked - so here's the condensed version of my story: saw the surgeon in March last year, was told needed both knees done, got a date for 23rd June, which was cancelled the week before due to my nickel allergy. It has taken since then to get the nickel free implants first authorised and then for the hospital to have them made and delivered. Lots of frustration due to lack of feedback on what was going - but it
looks like this is it. I'm still waiting for the actual letter - until then it will still seem a bit unreal.

I'm glad to see that those of you who were going to be my original recovery buddies are all doing so well, which is very encouraging!

I'm back to making lists LOL; I have almost everything ready but there's a few things to sort out. It will be very short four weeks I'm sure.

I'm planning to be around a lot more from now. I'm sure I will need lots of encouragement from my fellow Bonesmarties as the daydraws closer :flwrysmile: .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom