The verdict is in - I need BTKR :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you!!! Focus on those wonderful things that are in your future with new knees. That's what it's all about!
 
Phoenixx-
I so agree with referee54's advice: the first 3 weeks are the hardest, so be prepared; after that things get better quickly.
Have frozen meals ready for a while, and make sure you and those caring for you know that they must pamper you really well for at least a month!
Get your ice machine/peas ready, pillows/wedge ready, computer bookmarked to BoneSmart, and you are good to go!
Good Luck and keep us posted!
 
What a great goal to have...flying to see family. Keep that thought! Good luck.
 
Must remember to stock up on chocolate for those "darker" moments!...Hopefully I will find things to distract me - have enough stuff lined up for that in any case. .

Good reminder, I must stockpile chocolate. Though it may all disappear the first day I'm home. :rolleyespink:

I thought I was doing well keeping myself distracted up until tonight when I realized the future is here.
ACK OMG!
 
:th_heehee:Thanks all!

Jancat - yep got my ice packs ready, will order my wedge tomorrow (payday:th_heehee:), computer has been bookmarked to BoneSmart months ago - and husband has been warned that there will be lots of pampering required :th_heehee:. I still have to put my online order in for a big supermarket shop, but will do that next week. Need to stock up so more focus is put on the "pampering" side of things. Sending husband shopping always results in him bringing home stuff that I don't want, but never what I need :hysterical: - such as that stock pile of chocolate which is top of the list.

1Elisea - the idea of stockpiling is that you buy enough so that you don't run out :th_heehee:.

After all the apprehension I'm now in the "impatient" phase. Can't say I'm excited as some have said, but I just want it done now - and then 3 months on I have to do it all again! I wouldn't be surprised if the nerves kick again closer the time.

I am prepared for the first few weeks being difficult - but can it really be much worse than what I've already gone through? There have been times when I was in so much pain with my rheumatoid arthritis that I have spent whole weekends in bed, barely able to make it to the bathroom. At least after the surgery there's the knowledge that it will get better - and hopefully I'll have the drugs to control the pain. If they give me codeine I might even feel happy (it does have that effect on me :th_heehee:).

Loads of stuff to do during the finel 2 1/2 weeks - most importantly it's the Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday- so roll on the weekend and let's have the cheesiest evening of them all! Then it's the UEFA cup coming up soon - more entertaiment lined up - yay.

Somehow I feel like I'm in a bubble - can't really believe I'm going under the knife - it doesn't seem real. Maybe that's I'm feeling so chilled about it at the moment.:skeptical:
 
Phoenixx29, being on the other side will be better -- particularly as you go through recovery, PT, etc. -- and the pain meds DO help.

A GOOD chocolate supply -- along with the other necessities -- stockpiled is also a wonderful thing -- along with a list with details (brands, amounts, varieties, etc.). You're doing great.
 
Tim - I'm pretty sure that the milk chocolate version is even better! :snork:

I'm starting to get a bit impatient now - got a 10 day postponement to the 23rd June. A Saturday of all days! It does fit in better with work, but I my knees are starting to play up again, and the steroid injection I had a couple of months ago is starting to wear off already. I won't be able to get another one. I really just want it over and done with now....

To top it all, doctors in the UK have voted for one day industrial action on the 21st of June. Elective operations such as knee and hip replacements are likely to be postponed. I really hope this won't have a knock on effect as this is something I can do without stressing about right now.
 
What is it with dark chocolate for everyone. Yuk :th_heehee:. Although I would agree that the Godiva chocolates do look yummy.

Saw my GP today for a review, as I haven't been to see him for ages. I don't want to be in a position where I need a repeat prescription and he can't issue it because I haven't had my review. He was even so good to give me a prescription for co-codamol in readiness for the surgery. Together with my naproxen that might be enough. So that's another load of my mind - I was a bit worried I might be short of painkillers. I don't think I will struggle to get the right kind of pain meds if these don't quite work as he said there's nothing worse that being miserable with pain. Good to know I can get the drugs when if I need them!

I also found out I can get a district nurse for a home visit if I can't get to the surgery to get the staples removed (not sure if I'll be having staples or stitches yet - apparently my surgeon does both - he said it's up to me, but how would I know what's better?). That also had been worrying me as I was unsure about what might happen if I'm not well enough to get to the surgery. My husband doesn't drive - and the GP is only about 400 yards from me - I don't think a taxi driver would be too happy about making that trip :th_heehee:. I can't walk that far now - so I doubt I'll be able to do it a couple of weeks after surgery. So that was some time well spent this evening.
 
:sigh: Have not been posting much lately as the prospect of the upcoming big day was starting to get to me. I have not been sleeping well this last week or so, and I was getting more stressed by the day. So now, to top it all I got a call from the orthopaedics department this morning to tell me that (after having been delayed from the 13th to the 23rd) the surgeon has now decided to CANCEL my operation as I declared a nickel allergy! I mean - what's that all about - my pre-op was nearly 2 months ago, I mentioned it then; I also told the surgeon when I met him a month ago. Then I get a postponement - and now they are telling me they can't operate due to the allergy - a week before the operation???? So I made a bit of a fuss on the phone and got a call to say they managed to make an appointment for me to see the surgeon on Monday. I can only hope he can offer a solution (an nickel-free implant appears to be a case of having to apply too much common sense...).

I really don't get it this - why did it take them so long to react to this? Surely they must have had to deal with nickel allergies before? For a surgeon who claims to have done knee replacements for over 20 years, at a rate of over 200 a year this can't be the first time he has to deal with that situation? Or maybe it's just the down to the good old NHS throwing a spanner in the works.

My husband says there's no point getting worked up as it doesn't achieve anything, and better they have picked up on it now than getting a reaction to the implant; and yes, he's right, but that doesn't actually make me feel much better. He doesn't quite understand the anxiety levels involved in this whole process.

Feeling rather deflated right now - I don't even want chocolate. :cry4:Oh well, maybe the football will cheer me up....
 
Sorry they are putting you through this. It should have come up during the pre-op! I hope there is a quick resolution to this issue.

Meanwhile, when you are feeling a bit better, I hope you can find some enjoyable distractions. My surgery was postponed by one week and I know what you mean about the huge letdown. It's mentally and emotionally draining preparing for these surgery dates.
 
Emotionally draining it certainly is! I have already had to put up with a postponement - and in a way I found that easier to deal with. It certainly was a disappointment, but there is usually a "legitimate" reason - for lack of a better expression. But to be told by a secretary that the surgery was cancelled - that was really hard to take - particularly as I had mentioned the nickel allergy at my pre-op 8 weeks ago (I have never actually been tested, but I can't wear ear rings which contain nickel, ear lobes get inflamed and start weeping; but it would have surely been sensible to do a proper allergy test at the time?).

It throws up other questions such as - has this surgeon acuatually ever operated using a nickel-free implant, and if he hasn't - even if he does reschedule the operation - what risk am I taking in sticking with him?

I suppose I will find tomorrow - worst case scenario would be I have to get a fresh referral. I might involve my GP this time - perhaps I'll get a better result......

Time for some research on the NHS website I think.....
 
OK - panic over. Saw the consultant this afternoon. All a misunderstanding of sorts caused by the secretary - I just wish she had been better informed when she called me. This would have saved me a lot of anxiety...Anyway, the problem is the nickel allergy - apparently the surgeon has been trying to get a referral for an allergy test. He explained that the nickel free implants are normally made to measure and he couldn't get hold of the person that looks after that side of things. So - "postponed" would have been the correct phrase to use. I can deal with that. - But the message I got on Friday made it all sound as if he wouldn't operate. Perhaps I overreacted a bit as I didn't get much sleep all week last week. Now that this is cleared up, I will just have to bear with it and wait until it's all sorted. The surgeon said he would rather be safe than sorry, and I happily agree with that. So the waiting continues. Now and it's time to finally get the chocolate out :).
 
I really admire you folks across the pond for your patience with the waiting game you so often have to play. I'd be a blithering idiot by now if I were in your shoes. But it is good to know that the OS is looking out for you. Yes, this definitely calls for chocolate----lots of it. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Phoenixx, sorry that the secretary didn't get the message straight before calling you. :hairpulling: That makes for a very stressful time until you could call and get it straightened out. It's definitely time for chocolate -- whatever kind you like best -- and doing something that helps you relax. :)

Hope that your OS gets hold of the proper person soon, and you get the final definite date for coming over to the other side soon. Positive thoughts and prayers. :friends:
 
You have the patience of a saint! I couldn't handle that, and I am always preaching "patience"! Safe than sorry is the best attitude, and I am glad that the surgeon is looking out for you and your health!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom