Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi, I am new here and was getting ready to post a "your in my prayers" type post.

However I see you and God already have things worked out :biggrin:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Bieeeeeen!!! Well done Sonja!!! Very happy with the news!!! Told you that you are a SUPERWOMAN. :yahoo:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I Sonja don't mean to be dense but are you saying you don't need revision? Thought they had to take out spacer? It sounds like things are very good for you. Happy for you!!
Parla
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Seems she has worked a miracle all on her own, parla. The knee has improved to the point where she no longer needs it interfering with. Praise God, eh? I am so delighted for you, Sonja - you are our star girl and no mistake!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That is awesome ! Way to go Sonja !!! You are an inspiration
I didn't realize you could keep the spacer permanently. I thought they
were only temporary. Sonja, so glad you don't have to to it again !
love happy stories!
PARla
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, I've been reading this thread all along but seldom speak up. Well, I'm speaking up now! I am so happy things are going well for you. It's your turn!

3dogmom
rtkr 6/1/10
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

She hasn't got that kind of spacer, parla. She has a proper knee implant.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Congratulations!
I am utterly thrilled you don't have to do this horror show again!
Now you can start rehabbing it and strengthening your knee. Just don't go overboard. It has been through hell and needs to heal.
Now you can move on with your life. Keep us posted.
Best,
Sandy
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I am sorry Josephine I didn't know there was more than one kind of spacer. I am learning as I go. It is hard to understand tone in posts so I hope you are not annoyed with me.
Parla
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I'm sure Jo is not annoyed, Parla. Don't worry!!

It sounds like you were thinking Sonja had the type of cement "spacer" that is sometimes used when a person develops an infection. She did not. She had a previous revision in this knee that then went on to redevelop the MRSA infection. The bacteria colonized and sealed up on the prosthesis itself and that was why it was slated to be removed and replaced with a new one.

Her doctors have been aggressively treating the MRSA infection and had managed to get it isolated on the prostheses some time back. But now....wonder of wonders.....it appears to be lessening even there. Sonja can tell you exactly, but it appears that she was doing so well with all this, her surgeon wisely opted not to upset the delicate balance within her system with surgery.

So at least for now, things are really going well for our dear Sonja.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

This whole thing has been a learning experience And Monday I had my revision, the surgeon explained in preop that if he thought there was an infection he would put in a temporary spacer so I guess I assumed that was what Sonja had. I am so glad "our Sonja" got good news. She certainly deserves it. Mrsa is terrible. Thanks for explaining. Learning new knee stuff every day!
Parla
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:biggrin:

Parla, I have a "regular" replacement in my knee; not a spacer. Sorry if I confused you!:wink1:

I am so excited about the good news I received! God has been so good to me!

Dr. Maale is so impressed with the progress my knee has made since the last time I saw him. He asked me if I enjoyed the cruise and said that if I felt good enough to go on a cruise that he was not about to do radical surgery on my knee!

Dr. Maale said that he feels like more PT and Lymph edema therapy will make the leg even better. I want the knee cap to stop popping out of place and he said "you will have to work through the exercises that strengthen that part of the knee!" I told him it hurts every time it pops out and he said "the more that I strengthen it the less it will pop out!":hate-shocked: I thought about saying "well let me twist your surgically repaired neck" and help you with your pain!:hysterical:

Thank you everyone for your prayers, and good wishes!:biggrin: God listened and he always takes great care of me!:wink1:

Sometimes I want to help God out and so do the doctors, but He has a plan, and whatever happens in the future as far as my knee is concerned, I will leave in God's hands. I do not fear if I eventually need surgery or if I don't. No matter what happens it will be the right decision!:biggrin:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja....once again you have pulled another miracle out of the hat. I'm so happy for you and I hope the good news just keeps on coming!!!

Now we have to find a way to make that cruise deductible as a legitimate medical expense as it obviously did the trick for you!!!

Yes, it would be great to deduct the cruise but I don't think anyone would listen!:hysterical:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Amazing news, Sonya. Congratulations!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:biggrin:

Well I am back at PT again and "Awesome" Katie was so thrilled with the good news that she had already made a plan to work me harder!:rolleyespink: I am doing more exercises already and she said on Monday that they will be adding a couple to strengthen the kneecap muscles and ligaments! Joy Joy!:hysterical:

Today when they were icing down my leg I "thought" Katie was being kind when she put a towel roll under my ankle so it would not roll over. She said "that just won't do, so she put a rolled up pillow under my ankle, and then they put the ice blanket on it. :rolleyespink:

My extension has not been good in that knee, but she is making that her new project since they are going to try to avoid surgery. When I got up to leave, the kneecap had slipped out of place so Katie had to come and fix it.

Oh well, before long I will be able to have a fully functioning knee and life will be grand!:biggrin:


 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Oh Parla, like you I thought that in case of infection the only way to solve was to install a spacer for months, and the to issue the revision (three operations!). At least that is the way it is explained in Spain, and it is named as a catastrophe. Because of this I was terrified the first weeks praying for my mom. But Sonja's case brings light to the treatment of MRSA. She's great! :yay:

Now Sonja, if you've been able to combat against MRSA and win, you're surely going to dominate your rebel kneecap to keep in place :th_heehee:. Now there is nothing you are not able to do: SUPERWOMAN :yahoo:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi, Sonja. I am absolutely ecstatic for you! You so deserve this wonderful news!! I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers as you heal those ligaments around the kneecap. Take care and just don't overdo now.
Maggie
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I thought that in case of infection the only way to solve was to install a spacer for months, and the to issue the revision (three operations!).
That is the usual way but, like in everything else, our Sonja is different! :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom