Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi, MamboJ...welcome to BoneSmart. Why don't you start a thread in one of the knee or hip forums (whichever is appropriate) and tell us a little about yourself. We'd like to get to know you better.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Ok, tomorrow is another 6 hour trip to Dallas. Then on Thursday I see Dr. Maale at 10:00 and then we are heading to Tyler to go look at houses. Then we will turn around and come back Thursday night, so I can see Dr. Rueben, the Infection Specialist on Friday morning. After that we will head back to Tyler and view some more houses and check out the town!

I think my hubby has forgotten that I have a bad knee!:hehe: I will be so worn out that when we come home Saturday I will sleep for a long time!

I don't know if any of you have had this problem but apparently when I am in a lot of pain I moan in my sleep!:yn: It is causing sleepless nights for my hubby, and he is getting grouchy!:skp: I don't know how to avoid it, because I am not in that type of pain when I fall asleep!:hehe:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sounds like he needs a pair of those soft plastic foam ear plugs to help out when nights are bad for you. :D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

HE is getting grouchy? How about a bit of "Now you know what it feels like?" :doh:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja,
I read your thread today and have to say you are an inspiration. It is so wonderful that you have stayed so positive through all of this.

I hope and pray you will have a quick and permanent resolution to this difficult time in your life.

Take good care of yourself and let that husband of yours handle the move.

Kathleen
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

:DHello Everyone!

I came back from Dallas with some news. Dr. Maale sent me home for two more weeks, because I have little scabs from the revision and a big scab on the left knee from where I fell the other day.:skp: His comment to me when I told him I tripped was "don't do that anymore!":sct: You know, the first thing I do in the morning is get up and plan a place to "trip" so I can tear up my knees!:rotfl:

He told me that we are basically fighting to keep from amputating my right leg and so he didn't want ANY chance of infection anywhere else. I am still on heavy duty Zyvox, and it is helping.

I went to see the infection specialist the next day, and he told me that if my infection rates are climbing, that he will talk to Maale and get him going. He said we may not be able to wait.:shk:

My hubby and I made 2 trips to Tyler to look at houses. We looked at 3 houses the 1st day, and 3 the 2nd. That night my knee "locked up" on me! I was is horrible pain so my hubby got me my pain pills and I took two. It dulled the pain enough to sleep. He also helped me unlock the knee. I am not sure how the knee locked up but it was the worst pain that I have had in a while. Pat told me to sleep in and he went and looked at 2 more houses. We both felt like I had overdone it. :shk:

Tyler is a beautiful city! If we decide to move there it will be a good move as far as scenery. I will miss my friends but I have a telephone and the internet!:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, I have been reading and sending you positive vibes, and I hope they help. I have you in my thoughts. I can tell that you are a strong woman and feel certain you will triumph.

3dogmom
rtkr 6/1/10
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

RestAssured said:
My hubby and I made 2 trips to Tyler to look at houses. We looked at 3 houses the 1st day, and 3 the 2nd. That night my knee "locked up" on me!

Pat told me to sleep in and he went and looked at 2 more houses.

We both felt like I had overdone it.
No, really? :doh:

Seriously, I do hope you're feeling better today, Sonja. A marathon like that is not going to help you but what has to be done has to be done, I suppose. I really don't know what else to say - my heart goes out to you.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, I hope you can minimize those maraton trips like you just endured. You know, your body needs all the rest it can get to fight your infection. Please take care of yourself.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

It is funny, but I still "think" I can go out and "set the world on fire.":rotfl: I hobble around with the bad knee, and use the good knee. The good knee is a little over six months out of surgery now, and it is upset.:shk: I think it is tired of carrying the load and it has decided to let me know!

Yes, I know that I overdid it when house hunting, and I need to slow down. My knee is so swollen and I can't seem to get the swelling to go down. Dr. Maale also said that the swelling needs to go down before surgery. I am not sure what else I can so. I have been icing and resting when possible. Yesterday, was a 7 1/2 hour drive from Tyler to Midland though, and it was rough on my knee. I see Dr. Maale again on Nov. 2nd, and I am supposed to have the swelling under control so we can schedule surgery.:pray:
Any suggestions?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

There is only one way....the old mantra....rest, ice, elevate and take pain meds. You'll need to really keep your activity at a minimum.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks Jamie,

I know, RICE, but tomorrow I have to go see my other OS doctor. That is a 5 hour round trip and so the swelling will continue for a while yet. When I return home, I am going to RICE it after I return hopefully for the rest of the week. Oops, I forgot about going to the dentist on Tuesday morning. That's a morning shot, so I will have to do the best I can.

I am so frustrated! It is swelling because of the infection, and it is hard to keep the swelling down.:skp:
(Well, maybe I have been a little hard on my knee. :hehe: Maybe a little tender loving care is in order. I will try.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, the swelling is due to both the infection and the activity! Under normal circumstances, meaning if you weren't obliged to go house hunting, a doctor would have confined you to bed for most of every day. That's the only real answer, stay off your feet!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja,
You are trying to save your leg! Jo is right, you should be on bed rest. Should you even go to the dentist with the infection risk?

Can someone help you? If you must travel can you lay in the back and elevate your leg?

You really are overdoing it and I am concerned. Please don't be offended.....
Kathleen
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Kathleen,

I am not offended. Thank you for caring!:D I know I should slow down and rest. My leg is dependent upon my taking care of it. I haven't been very good to it lately and sometimes it is nice to have people point it out to me! Jo and Jamie tell me that I need to take care of myself (ever so quietly:rotfl:, but I still am a hardheaded woman.):hehe:

I went and saw my regular OS today, and he knew Dr. Maale. He is glad that Dr. Maale is going to do the surgery.) He told me that all hard cases in west TX are referred to Dr. Maale.

Dr. Defee asked that he be kept in the loop. He gave me more pain meds and wished me well.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, just a suggestion..... Nowadays many homes are listed on the internet with virtual tours. I know this because my niece included me in the fun of her house hunt by sending me the links to the homes they were interested in seeing. I was able to see each room (as well as the outside of the house and I was even able to take a tour of the neighborhood) from many angles, zoom in, etc. This would be a great way for you to RICE and still be able to house hunt. Maybe you could find a realtor in the area you are looking who provides this service. It would be so good for your situation.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That's a GREAT suggestion, Mary!! Thanks for mentioning it!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks for the tip about house hunting Mary! We have been looking at houses online, but unfortunately, none of them are virtual tours!:shk: Some of the houses were taken with a camera that was out of focus and it makes it impossible to see the true picture of the inside of the house!:hehe:

I was "walking" into a convenience store today, and the cashier said, "ok, what type of surgery did you have done?" I replied "knee replacement", and he said " I can tell you had surgery by the way you walk!":hehe: Well, I laughed, because the knee that is going to be replaced is so stiff to the point that it doesn't bend much any more. I try to walk like "normal" but my leg just won't "play nice".:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom