Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi Natalie,

Right now it is a day to day struggle to keep the MRSA from getting worse. The new infection dr. took me off of Zyvox, and the stuff that he put me on isn't working!:shk: When I finally reached his office after 15 voice mails today, they said he had agreed to put me back on Zyvox. Well, when I called the pharmacy, they said that my insurance was not willing to pay for it. They have paid for it in the past up until last Friday, but they don't want to pay for it now!:hissy: I am going to call them in the morning and give them a piece of my mind! :hehe: (I hope I don't use too much of my mind up on them though! LOL:wink:)
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Oh Sonja - you are such a fighter! I admire your tenacity.
Jo, the knee that you showed me is almost identical to the knee that he had as an example except for the fact that there will not be any screw in the fibula. How is this knee different in terms of being able to live a normal life from the one I already have?
The screw is an optional extra. And your experience of it should be the same as with any other knee.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Josephine said:
Oh Sonja - you are such a fighter! I admire your tenacity.

The screw is an optional extra. And your experience of it should be the same as with any other knee

Thanks Jo,

One thing he said about the knee was that I was "a big gal":wink: my words, not his he said heavy:hehe:, he said that this knee has a good chance of dislocating when I am walking. Have you heard of that with this knee?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I forgot to say I fought the insurance company over Zyvox, and won today!:wahey: That's one for the little folks!:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Good for you, Sonja....tenacity wins out again!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I've never heard of dislocation with any knee replacement. Don't know where they get these little gems from!

Congrats on winning out over the insurance!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:D When it rains it pours! My husband came in last night and asked me how I would feel about moving to Tyler TX. I knew that they had offered him a promotion, but I didn't know that it meant that we would have to move November 1st if he took it!

My surgery will be about the 1st of November, and he said "well you can just come home to the new house."

My stress level is off the charts right now! :shk: I thought saving my leg was going to be my main focus, but now I have to worry about house hunting, packing, and the rest of the moving stuff.:doh:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, just leave him to do all the packing, Sonja! It's his move, his job and his idea. Let him get on with it! I would!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jo's right, Sonja. You are going to be very busy with your surgery and recovery. You can't be house hunting, packing and all that other stuff too!!! November 1st is just a couple of weeks away!!! He must be crazy if he thinks you could jump in and do all that is involved with a house sale and move.

Sounds like you guys have some talking to do....be sure and put yourself first. Your health and well-being are more important than a promotion, a move or anything else in your life right now!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Ugh. Does that bring back some memories.

Can someone else pack your belongings and unpack them as in professionals?

4 years ago we sold and packed up our house. I got so tired I finally had to lie on the sofa. Spouse thought I was being emotional about the move. We had a Penske truck for our 'stuff', and had movers to move the big, big stuff. Well, we closed on the house, but our loan for Townhouse had not gone through. So we were living in a hotel. Then, I still felt funny. I finally went to the emergency room, and well the next day I had a hysterectomy and 5 units of blood. Sorry for the gory details fellas.

Poor spouse had my kids drive back into town from college, and they brought all the stuff into the townhouse. Had everything but the furniture. It was to come the day after I arrived home. I slept on a blow up bed that got a hole in it and I couldn't get back up off the hardwood floors.:rotfl: Furniture ended up being brought in by the movers, and I was feeling pretty good by then, but I was walking my dog, she threw me down on the ground when she bolted and I broke my ribs and arm when I fell on the asphalt.:doh:This happened while the movers were actually bringing in the furniture. So back to hospital I went.:shk:

So, anyway, finally got the bed up and decided to stay there and not move for 2 weeks. Well, actually had no choice because I couldn't breathe, move or sit up.

So my advice is be prepared to need a lot of help if you move during surgery and deal with delays. :pzld: It was a very long 2 weeks, and I really felt like a burden on everyone and felt pretty guilty. But got over all of those feelings quickly and life went on.

But I'm sure Tyler Texas is a good place to live, having a job these days and being promoted isn't something I'd pass up. I'd do it if you can manage the details.:jump:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Wow, Helen....now THAT'S a story!!! That has to be the WORST moving tale I've ever heard! And....yet.......you survived! That's the lesson to be learned. If you slow down, delegate, and do what you need to for yourself, you can survive almost anything.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yeah. It was tough. And had no cable for a month Comcast sucks. Only thing I could do was watch movies on my new laptop. Our DSL didn't work either. ATT had not dropped the line yet. I thought I was going to DIE OF BOREDOM!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi Natalie,
Yes, the insurance company finally approved the meds and I started taking them last night. The good news is that it looked like my scar was going to split open from infection in one place, and the Zyvox seems to be keeping the infection from coming through!:D

Thank you Jo, Jamie, and Helen for your replies about moving!
Helen, I was quite amused with your story! Thanks for sharing it!
We will be leaving for Dallas on Wednesday, see Dr. Maale on Thursday morning, then my hubby wants to drive to Tyler which is 90 miles away and go house hunting during our down time. Then we would head back for Dallas, see Dr. Rueben on Friday, drive back to Tyler to finish looking at houses, and see the town. We would spend the night and drive back from there.
Whew! I am tired just typing all of that!:hehe:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, that sounds kind of fun. New town, new house. As long as YOU don't have to do it all!! Wish you much luck!:catkiss:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone,

I am having less pain than I was having, and I am so thankful!:D The knee is still stiff, but the Zyvox is helping take the pain away! It makes me very hopeful that by the time the Dr. has to do surgery, he won't have as much to do!:D

My infection rate numbers have gone down by half from the first readings, and I am very excited that the Zyvox will continue to kick the infection out of my body!:jump:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yay, Sonja, that's great news! Good luck with your moving!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, you never cease to amaze me! Now a move on top of everything else.

I am so happy for you that the pain is being relieved and that your infection is improving. Your enthusiasm and the gusto with which you enter things, after all you've been through, make me feel really positive now.

Thanks. I need that positive spin on things cause my LTKR is only 8 days away -egads!!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, did you had enough rest during your recovery? You may want to observe when the pains kick-in. What did you do previously or yesterday.

You may want to let your knee rest a day or two and walk maximum of 1 miles a day. See any progress before decide on your ops. Continue your PT but don't over do it.

Your that particular knee may take time to heal, give him time.

Goodie Luck.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Maggie, the way I look at it is I can either be positive or negative. I would much rather try to stay as positive as possible, because I believe it really helps when the knee is replaced.

You will do great! I am proud of you for keeping up with the site and asking questions. We all were where you are, and we know what it is like to wait for the day to get here.:D

Mambo, thanks for responding! Welcome to BoneSmart!:D

I have MRSA in my knee replacement, and so I don't have a choice.:skp: The oseomyletis has gone up into the femur, so the doctor will be working to save my leg.
So this is a little different from trying to decide if it is "just hurting, and sore." I appreciate your input though. It is so nice to have so many wonderful people on Bonesmart!:wink: I don't know what I would have done if it were not for this forum! They have been with me all the way and have helped me through the good times as well as the bad!:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom