Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thank you Jamie and Jo!:D I was at PT yesterday and I told them the name of my revisionist. One of the women who had surgery told me that she used to work in Dallas for two OS's, and that both of them had been trained by Dr. Maale. She said that he is highly regarded in Dallas by a lot of OS's and that he can fix anything that is "broken!" :wink:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That type of referral is always a great sign.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Indeed! Always accept referrals from PTs or nurses who have worked for the man. They know!!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well the accolades keep coming in! I talked to my favorite PT Amy that took care of me when I was homebound, and she was so excited that I had found Dr. Maale. :D She said she had several patients who had revisions by him and he is wonderful! She was so frustrated that I have MRSA again, but I know that God put Dr. Maale in my life for a reason!:D I am running into too many people that know him for it to be a coincidence.:wink:

 
Re: The Story of My Knees

When I go to Dallas next Thursday I will find out if they are going to take out this knee and do something different. I have found that the revision has been harder, and more painful to rehab. Does that mean that if they do another revision, it will be even harder?:skp:

 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I don't think so, Sonja. Revisions should be a little easier than the first TKR because there is less done to the bones. But your case this time has really been complicated by the MRSA and all you've had to go through fighting it. Hopefully if you have another revision, you will only have to deal with recovery and nothing else. That is definitely my prayer for you!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks for your input Jamie!:D The only problem is, my knee is already going downhill again even though I am back on Zyvox.:shk: Pain is starting to get worse again, as well as stiffness and unsteadiness. I am going to PT 3 days a week but my right knee is rebelling!:skp: I know that the MRSA is back, and from the x-rays, it looks like it is hiding under the tibial plate. Pain has remained in that area since the last revision , so I wasn't surprised when I saw the x-rays.

I am placing a lot of faith in this revisionist that I am seeing. I really hope that he can do something without putting the cement antibotic spacer in. I am trying to stay upbeat, but sometimes I find myself sliding downhill!:wink:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, try not to fear the antibiotic spacer. We've had several folks here on the forum that have gone through that an emerged with a great knee afterwards. After all....you don't really want to risk having infection that keeps coming back. To me, what you're going through now is much worse than having to bide a little time with the spacer. It's not like you are totally immobile during that time.

I truly pray that this new doctor will have some good ideas for you and that you are comfortable with both him and his recommendations. You so deserve to heal and be able to go on with your life!! (((HUGS)))
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I just found this new product. pre-formed cement+antibiotic implants for revisions

It's a preformed hip prosthesis made from antibiotic impregnated bone cement (Palacos and Gentamycin). Thought you might be interested. Why don't you print off the page of the website and take it to your surgeon?
broken link removed: https://www.exac.com/products/cement-spacers/interspace-hip
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja....you need the knee implant, not hip...click on the link to the website and they have parts for knees too! This is an amazing product that could make things MUCH easier for you if you must have the implant removed.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jo and Jamie, thank you so much! :thmb: Thanks for the website Jo and thanks for the encouragement Jamie! I am so ready to be free of pain and on my way towards getting my life back. I am just going to keep my hopes up and wait to see what the doctor says. I printed the cement knee from the website and I will take it with me if he suggests it.:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sorry - how dumb of me. But I've made threads in both Knee FAQs and Hip FAQs so I've just changed the link.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

No problem Jo, I went to the website and learned a lot! It helped put some of my fears to rest!:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

The doc is going to LOVE you when you walk in with that printout and all your knowledge!! Way to go!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone! :D I went to see the revisionist today in Dallas and when he started looking at my file and realized I had MRSA, he told me that I will need to see his partner tomorrow. He explained that he is having spinal surgery to have two of his cervical vertbrae fused and that he will not be back for several weeks. He said that I can't live on Zyvox that long! I know he is right, I am just ready to get some answers!:sigh: Oh well, I will know something tomorrow.:pray:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Just one more day, Sonja......hold on and I pray answers will be coming for you.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone! What a glorious day to be alive!:wahey: I went to see Dr. Casas today and he looked at my x-rays and told me that my surgeon had done an excellent job on both of them. NO INFECTION! :thmb: He asked about the revision and I explained it to him and he said that Dr. Defee had done an excellent job of getting rid of the infection in the revision.

He is requesting a bone scan and a Vit C? test to see if the infection is still in the bones. He does not believe that anything will have to be done to the knee replacement.

I told him this was my 7th MRSA attack, and he was astounded! He told me that he will contact the Infection Specialist that is on board, and that he (Dr. Casas) and the IS, and the others on the board will SOLVE my MRSA case and I will NEVER have to worry about it again!:wahey:
They will also take my case before the board, and figure out why my immune system defaults when it comes to MRSA.

This doctor is fantastic! He told me he promises that the doctors there will solve all of my health issues and I will be able to get back to "the basis of living!" When he left, I asked the nurse if they had solved other MRSA cases, and she said, "oh yes!" They both told me I had come to the right place! God led me to them!:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Oh that is fantastic! I could dance for you. You must be singing for joy! What wonderful news and what a lovely, positive man.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom