Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Oops! Been there, done that! :blush:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Got a laugh from your story, Sonja. I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Rants come easily when you are anxious about something!!! It just proves you're human....
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello again, I am getting verrrrryyy frustrated!:hissy: The swelling in my right knee refuses to go down no matter how much icing, elevating, and pain meds I take. It hurts and it is driving me crazy! It has been for several weeks now, but I have just been thinking, give it more time! I tried to cut back on pain meds, and now I have to because I am almost out. I am going crazy tonight!:hehe:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja....cutting back on the pain meds before you are ready (and I don't think you ARE ready) is not good. Why are you "almost out"??? You need to talk to your doctor about a refill!!

So sorry about the swelling, but it does take time. You have a lot going on and the swelling is just a reflection of all that your're experiencing in that knee. Hang in there and keep doing all those good things. Eventually things will get better.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Someone is not paying attention in class!
[Bonesmart.org] The Story of My Knees Part 1
One of the reasons your swelling is not reducing is because you are cutting back on pain meds.

Have you not read my thread Pain management and Jo's pain chart. Note in post #3 it says

Post-op pain ..... manifests itself as
soreness
burning
stabbing
throbbing
aching
swelling
stiffness
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yes Jo and Jamie, "Ya'll":wink: are correct about the need for pain meds and I will call my doctor tomorrow!:hehe:

I had a white cell scan run today, and then it will be run again tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this performed on them before?

I will finish up with a three phase bone scan on Thursday, and then next week I will travel to Dallas and hear about the results and find out what the drs. plan on doing to correct "my broken parts.":D Gee, I make myself sound just like a car, huh?! :rotfl:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

[Bonesmart.org] The Story of My Knees Part 1


Yep, they just hook you up to an ol' Sun Diagnostic Machine and out pops the answer for repairs needed....:rotfl::rotfl:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Oh, Jamie! That's too funny!

I've not come across a white cell scan unless it totes under another name.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

The machine that does the white cell scan is so quiet that I slept through the procedure today!:hehe: The machine scans you from "head to toe" looking to see where the white cells that they radiated "ran" to!:wink:
Tomorrow is the bone scan with more radiation, so I should be "glowing" for my hubby by tomorrow night!:rotfl: Anyway, I will be finished with all of my tests tomorrow, and then I will pick them up and take the results to the doctor in Dallas next week.

I am ready for results! :D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Interesting test, Sonja....it's a new one for me. But I've now done a little reading on the procedure and it sounds like a very interesting way to diagnose infection within a person's body.

In the procedure, two appointments are required. During the first, blood is drawn and then radioactive material is attached to the blood cells. The "marked" blood is then returned to your body where it circulates for 18-24 hours. During that time, the "marked" white blood cells will go to the site of a realtively new infection.

In the second appointment, your entire body is scanned by a machine in the Nuclear Medicine Department of a hospital or other diagnostic facility. It takes about 1 1/2 hours and during that time you lie peacefully on a slowly moving table.

I'm ready for results, too, Sonja!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yes, the white blood cell scan took 2 days. The first day they take out a large syringe of blood and then send it to the lab. The lab spins it to get the white blood cells out and attach the radioactive material to the white cells and then the radiologist puts the mixture back in. They scanned my whole body immediately as well as putting special emphasis on the right knee.

The second day I went back and had the whole body scan done again, and then another scan of the right knee by itself.

Today, I went in and they put in something to make the bones show up and did a whole body bone scan and then one with special emphasis on the r knee.

I left and came back 4 hours later and they redid the whole body scan and then did the scan with special emphasis on the r knee.

I believe that the doctors will have their answer after seeing these scans! I am so excited! :D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Wow....that was MUCH more involved than anything I read about on the web. Thanks for the explanation, Sonja. This is probably why these guys are considered to be so good with treating infections! It sure seems like you are in the right place.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Wonder how much that scan costs? :hehe:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Ohhhh, Joooooo.....you really wouldn't want to know!!! Firing up that big nuclear machine that many times....oh myyyyy.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, the price of the scans for me is ....... $0!!!:hehe: I have already met my deductible for the year!:wink:

Now for my next problem...... if I decide to stay with Dr. Maale the first Dr. I saw in Dallas, then I have to wait until next Tuesday 28th, because he is coming back from neck surgery. I also saw his associate, Dr.
Casas because Dr. Maale wanted me to be seen faster than when he would get back from surgery. I can see Dr. Casas this week. Should I go ahead with Dr. Casas or should I wait for Dr. Maale? I can't decide! Dr. Casas is the one who ordered the tests. I need input from Bonesmarties please!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I forgot to mention that if I wait a week my hubby can go, but if I go this week it has to be my Mom. Dr. Maale is the one that everyone said was so great, but if he has Dr. Casas as his partner, wouldn't he have a lot of faith in him?:pzld:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yes, he would have faith and trust in him, Sonja. The key to me is that Dr. Maale WANTED this doctor to see you. They are partners. They will be consulting on your case I'm very sure. Go as quickly as you can and when you're there, just ask Dr. Casas if he will be discussing your situation with Dr. Maale. I'm betting the answer will be "yes."
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Sonja,
Since I don't get on here very often just wanted to let you know I always check to see how your doing... I know you had a lot of problems with your knees & with the MIRSA...
Your in my thoughts & prayers along with everyone else on this forum!
It sounds like your going to be in good hands with your new doctor!
Good luck,
Nicole
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom