TKR the road is long with many a winding turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Rob. Yes my motivation for getting the TKR was and is to play better tennis. It will take some time and I need patience as my friends are already taking tickets to beat me while I am down. Just kidding. I could sure feel the Vicodin when I hit on the wall. Never noticed its effects until you have some sort of measuring device ie ball and wall. Most of my friends are upper 4.5/5.0 so we can put the ball where we need to so I will not have to run. This is my first ever hospital thing and I am just bouncing through the dark. Thing will normally turn out ok with a positive attitude and gratitude for my surgery.
 
Really amazed at you speed of recovery and encouraged by your progress. I'm 9 days post pkr and have 0/100 flex, no real pain to speak of during the day but last 2 nights have been pretty unpleasant. As a fellow racket player (squash) I'm interested in the guidance you got from your OS. I haven't seen my OS post op but in the consultations leading up to surgery when I asked "what can I do post op" his reply was "anything you want"!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
 
@Squashmad - I picked my OS specifically because I knew he was an avid tennis player. I told him up front I was going to play again, and he said fine. May have to alter my game a bit, but he picked a model of knee that gives me the best chance to at least approach my former level of play. @moretennis - You're much more advanced than my friend and me; we play at the 4.0 level, and he's a stronger player than I am. But we are both passionate about the game and intend to play as well as we can when fully recuperated.
 
@moretennis @rob68 going to be interested to follow you guys progress.
My partner thinks I'm nothing short of insane even considering playing squash again but I was reading what appears to be the only study comparing active and inactive patients there is no real evidence that activity leads to early failure. That said most of the active group lessened their level of intensity. Maybe a pipedream to get back to where I was but you've got to have goals.
 
Hi @moretennis
I'm glad you found BoneSmart.

Although it's already over 4 weeks since your surgery, I'm going to give you the BoneSmart recovery reading list - there are articles that will still be useful for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 
Squash mad yes I have a lot of respect for squash players have known a couple that were good at both squash and tennis , it's one of the tougher challenges I have done . Yes I told my OS I needed a good knee because I had every intention. On playing singles , I will try more doubles but I am a singles player he said he would fix me up and to go ahead and play and I will Zimmer next Gen cemented I hope it holds up
 
@moretennis I merged your three threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

Plus which, it only ends up with people duplicating things - for instance, you now have TWO lots of recovery articles! Please stick with this one in future - it's just more helpful for us all.
 
@moretennis I am 5 weeks post op with a Zimmer also. My wife is begging me to pick up my racket again. Stopped playing in my 20'spare due to knee pain.

Not progressing as fast as you but overall doing well.
 
Yes tennis is great for your entire life please do try it when you get well .what's nice is you and you wife can play mixed double it's a great social and competitive also , I am sure sooner or later we will all recover and get back on with our lives with good knees , that is something my grandfather could never change, if you had a bad knee back then you lived with it till you passed on
 
Hi @moretennis
I'm glad you found BoneSmart.

Although it's already over 4 weeks since your surgery, I'm going to give you the BoneSmart recovery reading list - there are articles that will still be useful for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
Sorry Celle but it's been 2 weeks

October 13 2015
 
Tennis, did you read my post? This is what happens when you start new threads - you get duplicates of things like this!
 
Yes Josephine I read it.i promise no more.post I knew when I posted.it.that I had.messed up wad just.waiting.for the reprimand Sony

October 13 2015
 
Test test test is this same thread? Post ? :loll::rofsign::what::dubious: I hope this isn't a
Another thread as I am one thread away from getting booted out of here
 
Recovery is going well walking and getting around ,had a strange day yesterday. I can't go to the park yet to play tennis but I am a rambler ,lord I was born a Ramblin man ! So I went to my.daughters business and business sat for her (real estate) her business. Which is between Starbucks and t mobile so first thing is man with cane was getting out of his vehicle going to t mobile with his wife helping ,his helper wife falls down so I gimp to the rescue I had the opportunity to tell him about bone smart he's is 24 days out and his wife was OK . Another guys rides by on his new electric bike ,his name was Pat ,what a nice bike ,he parked it in our office and gets a free Starbucks sandwich ,comes back and we talk ,made a friend ,but then he ask me to try the bike out ,no I say and explain my recovery , he insist I concede ,I ride around the parking lot and on instinct my leg travels around full stroke ! Ouch remember don't do this we are in recovery ! He he he no harm done just some pain ,live and learn ,easy does it
 
[Bonesmart.org] the road is long with many a winding turns

19 days post op out on tennis court with friends
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bikesouth ,yes if I had only known ,I would have done it 8 years ago when they first condemned my knee , .I know there are some rough recoveries ,but there are good recoveries also .I just have deep gratitude for my new knee and I thank God everyday for his help
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom