TKR the road is long with many a winding turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to pt today they checked rom ,not much progress this time only 123 and 1 ,I don't know if I will make 0 as pre op I was a 7
 
Still having a dull throbbing pain about 1 AM. I brought a ice box down and if it acts up I give my knee an ice massage seems to work anyone have any ideas to get rid of that midnight pain? Aside from more drugs
 
I dare say being on the tennis courts may be what's causing your pain. Try icing, elevating for a while.
 
Yes that is a good assumption, but I have no pain at bed time this pain sneaks up in the middle of the night ,this had been my only problem during recovery . It could be that I check my pain while awake but when asleep I cannot control or brace for the pain
 
@moretennis, congratulations on your awesome recovery! I had both my knees done a little over two years ago and my recovery was as great as yours. Our incisions look the same, too!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Do you take any pain meds through the night?
 
Lovestoread ,yes I really think there is something to the minimally invasive surgery we both had ,I think the greatest difference was my ligaments tendons and muscles were spared a lot of trauma therefore the reduced trauma amounts to half the recovery time . As I was walking good almost 150 ft ,3 hours after surgery .My OS told me how it would be but I really had a difficult time believing the time frames he stated . Looking back he never overstated anything ,based on his experience with minimally invasive TKR I would be able to return to work in 3 weeks instead of 6 , that was what my OS had told me
 
And my first day is as I planned tomorrow 11/4
So surgery 10/13 return to work 11/4 healed . I think if I do the left knee I will go the same way with the same OS
 
Wow. Congratulations!! I'll have to look into that type of surgery. I know I get pain at night because my mind isn't occupied by anything else. I'm getting close to 4 months and still I have that achy pain at night. I would love to play tennis again but I had to quit over 10 years ago due to my horrible knees. Maybe soon. If you ever come east let me know!
 
but I have no pain at bed time this pain sneaks up in the middle of the night ,this had been my only problem during recovery . It could be that I check my pain while awake but when asleep I cannot control or brace for the pain
It's because you are doing so much during the day. At this stage of your recovery, you are doing far more than most people.
It's as if your knee says "You've done too much today. I'll get you for this later"- and it does, during the night.

Have another look at this:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
My OS also told me I would be back to work in 3 weeks. I find this so hard to believe after watching my mother go through two TKR's. I will see for myself as my time is approaching in a few weeks. Maybe the quad sparing MIS really does heal quicker. If it does, great. If not, I'm ready to take a couple of months off of work.
 
Maybe the quad sparing MIS really does heal quicker. If it does, great. If not, I'm ready to take a couple of months off of work.
I think it only makes for a quicker recovery initially, because the wound is smaller. However, you've still had bones cut and large foreign bodies hammered into them - and that all takes time to recover from.

I think 3 weeks is incredibly optimistic. MIS or not, this surgery is still major trauma.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's the way to do it Jojo plan for the worst and hope for the best, I just got home from work it was a very long day ,Just played a lot of catch up. It felt like a small accomplishment to get back to work ,although most still can't believe I had total knee replacement ,they can think what they want
 
Is there any truth to being issued a bionic knee id card ? For airports high security areas
 
Yes, you'll get a card which the TSA will promptly ignore, pull you aside and pat you down. (They always have done that to me anyway, since I look so much like a terrorist/ security threat. )
 
I thought the little card would get me some special attention but I didn't anticipate that kind! Maybe we can use it as our own bonesmart ID card!
 
My OS quit giving them out because it didn't do any good. TSA is run by idiots with no common sense.

I was recently pulled aside & frisked, wanded & swiped for residue. All because I had a pack of crackers in my wind breaker that I did not put in the plastic tub. Forgot they were in my jacket.

Try explaining to them that you have a screw in your femur that sets the wand off.
 
I refuse to fly. Not going to pay money to be treated like a criminal or a terrorist anymore now that I'm retired.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom